Best headphones for $200 +/-?
Aug 9, 2014 at 12:42 AM Post #32 of 81
How are the AKG Q701s? According to the guide they're great for gaming (though not as "fun" as the X1s), closed, and they look awesome to (not that I really care). But the main reason I ask is because I can get them quite cheap used.

Aug 9, 2014 at 1:30 AM Post #33 of 81
How are the AKG Q701s? According to the guide they're great for gaming (though not as "fun" as the X1s), closed, and they look awesome to (not that I really care). But the main reason I ask is because I can get them quite cheap used.

I love my Q701, but it sounds anemic when unamped.  Depending on how cheap the used pair is, you should be able to pick up an amp while still staying within your $250 budget.  If so, I definitely recommend that you pick up a pair.  Also, make sure to look into the reversible bass mod if you end up making the purchase.

Aug 9, 2014 at 1:58 AM Post #35 of 81
Well headphones don't have blood cells... So what does anemic mean in audio terms?

And what is reverse bass?

No clue what reverse bass is...  Anemic tends to mean the lack of a bass body, or bass presence if I'm not mistaken.  Generally caused by either:
  1. Lack of a mid bass: this creates a very tight, a very fast bass response that is accurate and true
  2. Lack in overall bass quantity: this makes it sound like bass is missing (over the entire range)
  3. Focus in the treble: in audio, an increase in one frequency is technically the same as a decrease everywhere else.  This would make it seem like there is less bass
  4. A combination of the above

Aug 9, 2014 at 5:27 AM Post #36 of 81

The Q701 is an open headphone sorry to say.

Aug 9, 2014 at 9:10 AM Post #37 of 81
The X1 has exceptionally good bass (i.e. plenty) for an open headphone.
Choosing between the DT 770 and X1, I'd go with the X1 (if open type is OK)
because I think it's all-around a better headphone 

Aug 9, 2014 at 9:35 AM Post #38 of 81
If you indeed can go Open back, I think you should take a look at Grados under $200 offerings.  Maybe an SR125 or SR225?

But if electronic music is your thing, maybe closed back is what you want?  That isn't what I listen to, so I feel inadequate giving advice, but I would think you want a bass heavy phone?  Closed back phones may be more the ticket for that.  

That said though, the Grados while not being monster bass headphones, are very energetic with tons of 'life'.  

Aug 9, 2014 at 11:45 AM Post #39 of 81
Well, thanks guys. X1s seem to be the way to go, and DT770 80 ohms are my second choice if I don't have enough cash).

Is there any better second choice?

Also, is there any reason to get a higher ohm headphone? Lower Ohm=easier to drive, so why does anybody get a higher ohm pair headphones?

Aug 9, 2014 at 12:15 PM Post #40 of 81
  Well, thanks guys. X1s seem to be the way to go, and DT770 80 ohms are my second choice if I don't have enough cash).

Is there any better second choice?

Also, is there any reason to get a higher ohm headphone? Lower Ohm=easier to drive, so why does anybody get a higher ohm pair headphones?

IMO the X1 is a great choice, especially at that price.  IIRC it was selling at more than $300 for a long while - That's about
what I paid about a year ago.  

Very solid for electronic and all kinds of music.  Take a look at Tyll Hertsens'
review for Inner Fidelity if you have a moment; it's very informative at usual.

Re: ohms - many listeners seek to match the impedance of their output with that of their headphones;
more or less - other reasons as well.  It's a topic you can easily research on the interwebs if you
want more info...:)

Aug 9, 2014 at 8:42 PM Post #41 of 81
Wouldn't really consider Grado for gaming myself. Not the most commonly chosen for electronic either thats for sure, but a rare few enjoy them with it.

Aug 10, 2014 at 12:17 AM Post #42 of 81
I'm not planning on Grados...

Anyways, while I've basically got my 1st and 2nd choice down, I still am interested in other phones. You guy say the 558s are bad for electronics, but how bad? Also, what genres are they good at? And are there any genres that the X1s or 770s are bad at/

Aug 10, 2014 at 12:29 AM Post #43 of 81
Hm...  If you can stretch your budget a bit (250), the AKG K545 might be right up your alley, or even the K550.  Sennheiser's Momentum can also be found in the 250 price bracket too.  If you don't mind rolled off treble, the Marshall Monitor are also a good closed headphone at 200.  

If you don't mind on-ear models, the V-Moda XS or M-80 are both great values in that price range.  As is the Phiaton MS 500 Bridge (it's sized between on-ear and over-ear).  

The Audio Technica M-50s shouldn't be bad headphones...  Nor the Sony V6 (those are a little legendary).  Though both of those are studio monitors.  

Aug 10, 2014 at 4:26 AM Post #45 of 81
I'm not planning on Grados...

Anyways, while I've basically got my 1st and 2nd choice down, I still am interested in other phones. You guy say the 558s are bad for electronics, but how bad? Also, what genres are they good at? And are there any genres that the X1s or 770s are bad at/

IMO the 558's aren't "bad" for electronics - but that kind of question is going to
necessarily have highly subjective answers.  Highly subjective.  Especially
as there are about forty genres or subgenres of electronic.
The 558's are a high value headphone; i.e. they offer a lot for the money.
They're quite good all around.  If you can reach for the 598's (I don't know
the current pricing) you'll get headphones that are an all around favorite
here on head-fi.

I wouldn't use the DT770's for classical music, particularly chamber
or parlor music.  They're very impactful with strong bass, great for
electronic, rock... 

I found the X1's excellent all around.  They did seem to lose some
fine detail, but to capture that level of detail along with the X1's bass
would be significantly more expensive.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back