Jan 16, 2011 at 4:35 PM Post #31 of 51
Denon AH-D1001

They also sound good without a amp.

Jan 17, 2011 at 2:33 PM Post #33 of 51
alright. i think i've decided. im gonna go with.... skullcandy 
L3000.gif

Jan 17, 2011 at 3:37 PM Post #34 of 51

Quote:
Nobody's mentioned the DT 990's. For $179 (Amazon). Pretty nice phones but I have not heard alot of the others. But seems like a good deal under $200.

That is a killer deal - ohm load might be a bit much though (don't know which version amazon is selling)

Also, if you're looking for a closed back headphone, B & H is selling the DT770 in a 32 ohm version so you should just be able to run it right out of a portable device for just under 200.  I've heard people describe the DT770 as the most balanced of that beyer line.

My roomate ordered them last week and they should be showing up any day if you want to get my impressions and don't plan on buying the headphone in the next couple days.

Jan 17, 2011 at 3:40 PM Post #35 of 51
Jan 18, 2011 at 3:08 PM Post #36 of 51

Quote:
Quote:
Nobody's mentioned the DT 990's. For $179 (Amazon). Pretty nice phones but I have not heard alot of the others. But seems like a good deal under $200.

That is a killer deal - ohm load might be a bit much though (don't know which version amazon is selling)

Also, if you're looking for a closed back headphone, B & H is selling the DT770 in a 32 ohm version so you should just be able to run it right out of a portable device for just under 200.  I've heard people describe the DT770 as the most balanced of that beyer line.

My roomate ordered them last week and they should be showing up any day if you want to get my impressions and don't plan on buying the headphone in the next couple days.

Well, I don't have as many options now. My parents cut my spending limit to $100.

Audiohead- Im just kidding , I'm no audiophile but even I know skullcandy is garbage

Jan 18, 2011 at 3:55 PM Post #37 of 51

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Well, I don't have as many options now. My parents cut my spending limit to $100.

Audiohead- Im just kidding , I'm no audiophile but even I know skullcandy is garbage

Of course you were kidding.

Also, if you're strapped to 100 bucks, consider the Sennheiser HD448.

I have them as my portable headphone and love them at the 100 dollar level.
SRH 440s are good for that level too (I think they're 100ish.)

I wrote a review for the 448s if you wish:
http://www.head-fi.org/products/sennheiser-hd448-around-the-ear-headphones/reviews#4486

Jan 18, 2011 at 4:03 PM Post #38 of 51

Quote:
great, looks like the ATH-m50s might be plagued with fakes which makes ordering online a no-no...

wonder if this applies to amazon.

What? I've never heard of fake M50. If you buy it directly from Amazon(not the marketplace), I seriously doubt there will ever be a fake.

Jan 18, 2011 at 6:31 PM Post #39 of 51
I have a web-link to a music store in CO where I just ordered New, opened box Senn HD650's for $250 including priority shipping! I got the last 650, but theres a HD600 for $215 shipped.

Since you're the OP, I'll give you first dibs on it... but let me know soon as I'm sure other people would want to jump on this...

Jan 21, 2011 at 7:21 PM Post #40 of 51
I wound up buying the Audio Technica ATH-M50s today at guitar center.  They have it for $159.99 and have a $20 off coupon for anything over $100 on their website.

I don't know what happened to the prices online, amazon is up to $169 at the moment and there is a used set on ebay with 2 days left already at $132.  Oh well, I don't mind paying a bit more to support the bricks and mortars.

I almost went with the Shure SRH440 simply because of the detachable cable.  Oh well, I'll try this out for a while.  My headphone amp needs to arrive soon!

Jan 21, 2011 at 7:26 PM Post #41 of 51
Jan 21, 2011 at 8:08 PM Post #42 of 51
I like the Grado sr80i's they have plenty of bass for most music (actually they seem like the bassiest headphones I have owned), I have an amp that adds a little bass though. But if you are moving up from earbuds anything will have more bass.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back