Best Headphones For $200 or Less?
Jan 15, 2011 at 12:31 PM Post #16 of 51
Where are you hearing about fakes? Just order from an authorized seller. AT has a list on their website.

Quote:
great, looks like the ATH-m50s might be plagued with fakes which makes ordering online a no-no...

wonder if this applies to amazon.

Jan 15, 2011 at 2:19 PM Post #18 of 51
I'm sure that Amazon wouldn't provide fakes. I've used Amazon to buy lots of stuff and they're very trustworthy. Anyways, to the rest of the Head-Fi community - Why does everyone hate Beats By Dr Dre? Are they poor in sound quality? Is the bass too overpowering?

Jan 15, 2011 at 2:49 PM Post #19 of 51
I'm surprised no one has asked you some obvious questions: 
* what kind of music do you like?
* what is the source? If it's a hifi system, the receiver will be able to power phones that wouldn't do well with a portable device like an ipod
* if you're going to be using it in public, do you care how it looks?

You seem to be thinking of a full-size headphone, not the small things that go into your ears, riight?

Are you aware of the dangers to your hearing of listening too loud? Good equipment will play louder without distorting, so you might not realize that it's loud enough to cause damage.

Jan 15, 2011 at 3:03 PM Post #20 of 51
There are plenty of threads as to why. But it is very clear why people hate them, once you put them on. If you have never heard good headphones then the Beats might be fine. But they are like Bose in the sense that the cost does not equal the sound quality.

Quote:
I'm sure that Amazon wouldn't provide fakes. I've used Amazon to buy lots of stuff and they're very trustworthy. Anyways, to the rest of the Head-Fi community - Why does everyone hate Beats By Dr Dre? Are they poor in sound quality? Is the bass too overpowering?

Jan 15, 2011 at 3:12 PM Post #21 of 51
yea unfortunately it doesn't look like any are sold by amazon.  
electric guitar, pro acoustics, and musicians friends are the sellers on amazon.  electric guitar has the best price of the 3 with free shipping.

Quote:
On Amazon, try to buy the one that says "sold by amazon," or "fulfilled by amazon." If they are fakes, you can return them easily, with free shipping.

Jan 15, 2011 at 5:01 PM Post #23 of 51
If you're looking to order from Ebay, unique_squared has great prices and REAL M50's.

Other headfiers, including myself, have gotten M50's from that seller and everything went smooth. Also, check B&H... when in stock their prices are good as well.

Jan 15, 2011 at 8:37 PM Post #24 of 51

Quote:
Alright thanks everyone :) it seems like the m50s is a popular choice. I'm not a big fan of Sony, but ill take a look at those Shures. It is nice to have a decent bass. And Cdis, my price range is $200 or less. I've checked into the m50s and it seems like a pretty good choice. Do the Shures sound as nice? The bass doesn't overpower the music does it? because i questioned beats because people said that about them.

If you're worried about bass overpowering everything else, I would go with the SRH840s.
While I haven't heard them, it seems to be conclusive from several owners that these have a very linear frequency response - meaning the entire spectrum of sound will be pretty balanced.
I've read mixed feeling on the comfort - do you plan of wearing the headphones for hour after hour on the regular basis?

Jan 16, 2011 at 6:53 AM Post #26 of 51

Quote:
I'm surprised no one has asked you some obvious questions: 
* what kind of music do you like?
* what is the source? If it's a hifi system, the receiver will be able to power phones that wouldn't do well with a portable device like an ipod
* if you're going to be using it in public, do you care how it looks?

You seem to be thinking of a full-size headphone, not the small things that go into your ears, riight?

Are you aware of the dangers to your hearing of listening too loud? Good equipment will play louder without distorting, so you might not realize that it's loud enough to cause damage.

Well..
I like all kinds of music. More often though, I listen to hip hop, rock, acoustic, and alternative. 
My source isn't hifi even though I reeeaaallyy want one of those. I have an iPod.
And yeah, I normally take my iPod with me everywhere. Style isn't more important over sound quality, but its still ncie to have good looking pair of cans.
And yeah I'm interested in the over or around ear headphones. I've had in earphones for too long now.
And no I didn't know about the hearing damage. Thanks for your concern. I've been thinking about maybe getting the Shure 240's because of their compatibility with ipods. Oh and also, portability matters because I always listen to music when I go some where. Thanks 
smily_headphones1.gif

Jan 16, 2011 at 6:56 AM Post #27 of 51

Quote:
There are plenty of threads as to why. But it is very clear why people hate them, once you put them on. If you have never heard good headphones then the Beats might be fine. But they are like Bose in the sense that the cost does not equal the sound quality.

Quote:

How would you compare Beats to Bose? I'm not going to buy them but my friend is glued on those two brands and wants to know which is better of the two.

Audiohead- Thanks I've been trying to decide betweens Shures and m50s. :)

Jan 16, 2011 at 9:43 AM Post #28 of 51
I didn't compare them side by side, but I remember thinking the Bose were not too bad. When I put the Beats on I thought they were very muddy in the mids with bloated bass. Not sure which models either of them were. 

Jan 16, 2011 at 2:25 PM Post #29 of 51
In my opinion, when considering the category of "over-priced gear", Bose probably makes the best product.  Beats just have this recessed mid, which abandon the highs and leave them alone and empty.  Too much hiss for me also... and then the bass just comes in and runs over the rest of the spectrum.  I'm a little picky when it comes to bass - I think it needs to be underneath everything else... a compliment to the music, rather than a supplement (if that makes sense).

I don't think Bose sound quality is bad at all!  I just think you pay 2x the price for them.  You can get so much more headphone for the same price you'll spend on a set of Bose or Beats.

Readdressing the M50 v. SRH840 decision, both are well respected cans... but I had a friend get a set of M50s recently, and while I didn't get a chance to listen to them myself I very much trust the musical analysis of the individual who did listen to them.

He described the bass as full and rich, and that the mids sounded okay and kept up with the rest of the spectrum, but that it was important to note that the M50 puts the bass upfront, as if the M50 was proud of the low end and wanted you to know it first and foremost.  If you want the bass at the front of your music - go M50.  If you prefer a more balanced sound signature, the Shures should be perfect.  I'd personally get the Shures every time b/c of my tastes.

Jan 16, 2011 at 4:29 PM Post #30 of 51
It sounds like you're already looking at headphones that are compatible with an iPod. As you have probably found out, many of the better phones need more power than an iPod can deliver.

For a good intro to the dangers of hearing loss, see http://gilmore2.chem.northwestern.edu/articles/hearing_art.htm. As you can see, outside use is particularly dangerous, because you'll tend to turn up the sound in order to hear over the background sound. It's really easy to get to dangerous levels. There's increasing hearing loss among teens, for a number of reasons, including this, rock concerts (I'd never go to one without earplugs) and various other causes. Here's an article documenting the problem: http://www.nytimes.com/2010/08/24/health/research/24child.html?ref=health. I'm surprised the schools aren't covering this in health class.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back