Best Headphones For $200 or Less?
Jan 14, 2011 at 3:12 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 51

MusicLover457

New Head-Fier
Hey, I'm new here. So just to let you all know, I'm 13. And anyways, I've been saving my money for my first pair of headphones. And I've looked through this forum, and it seems there are many experienced headphone users. So I figured you guys could help me to decide on my first real pair of headphones. I've been looking into Beats, Bose and Sennheiser. Those are brands that I am pretty confident, based on research, that I will like them. So could someone tell me which I should get? Comfort and Style matter, but I would like a decent sound quality. And also, I would like to share that I'm trying to find some cans that connect right to my iPod. And my username is MusicLover457 but you can call me Shane. Thanks 
smily_headphones1.gif

Jan 14, 2011 at 3:23 PM Post #2 of 51
The fact that you mention Bose and Beats tells me you haven't done that much research...
It is a community consensus  that neither of these brands produce anything that is worth buying.
And, in my opinion, Sennheiser doesn't produce anything worth buying that would you'd be able to drive just using your ipod.
(With the exception of maybe their PX-100)

What kind of music do you listen to?
And are you a bass-head?

While you're at it, look at the Audio-technica ATH-m50's and the Ultrasone HFI-780's
Are those stylin enough for ya?

Rest of head-fi,
Do we have a newbie primer somewhere?
Something that explains what a DAC is, what an amp is, and explains when and why you would want one of these?

Jan 14, 2011 at 3:42 PM Post #3 of 51
Sorry. I didn't know that those were all considered bad headphones. Anyways, I'm not necessarily a bass head. I like to listen to basically anything but country. I know about amps and DACs and all but, so I guess I could just push that whole iPod idea aside. You could probably tell I don't know much about headphones. I have the default Apple earbuds. So that might tell you where I'm coming from.  And thanks for the suggestions. But are there any others you would recommend to a teenager?

Jan 14, 2011 at 3:49 PM Post #4 of 51
Check out Koss Porta Pro (~$30). They look kind of retro but sound surprisingly good! Nice and portable option. :)

I'm sure that's not the best option given the ample budget. Still an option worth checking out. :)

Jan 14, 2011 at 4:02 PM Post #6 of 51

Quote:
Hey, I'm new here. So just to let you all know, I'm 13. And anyways, I've been saving my money for my first pair of headphones. And I've looked through this forum, and it seems there are many experienced headphone users. So I figured you guys could help me to decide on my first real pair of headphones. I've been looking into Beats, Bose and Sennheiser. Those are brands that I am pretty confident, based on research, that I will like them. So could someone tell me which I should get? Comfort and Style matter, but I would like a decent sound quality. And also, I would like to share that I'm trying to find some cans that connect right to my iPod. And my username is MusicLover457 but you can call me Shane. Thanks 
smily_headphones1.gif

hello Shane. good day to you. in my opinion you should look at the Shure srh750dj or srh840's. also the sony mdr xb500 and xb700 headphones should be highly considered. and everyones favourite happens to be the audio technica ath m50 headphones. all of these headphones can be had for under $250 the most expensive being the srh840. if you like bass get the Shure srh750dj or the Sony mdr xb500 headphones. for more serious listening get the srh840 headphones.

Jan 14, 2011 at 4:03 PM Post #7 of 51
Alright thanks everyone :) it seems like the m50s is a popular choice. I'm not a big fan of Sony, but ill take a look at those Shures. It is nice to have a decent bass. And Cdis, my price range is $200 or less. I've checked into the m50s and it seems like a pretty good choice. Do the Shures sound as nice? The bass doesn't overpower the music does it? because i questioned beats because people said that about them.

Jan 14, 2011 at 4:13 PM Post #8 of 51
I recommend you stick to the $100 area for your first headphone..
I don't think you would be disappointed with any of these.

(Closed/Semi-Portable)
Audio Technica ATH-M50. (EDIT: be careful, there seems to be a new and old version of this. Most reviews are based on the old version.)
Denon D1001 or Creative Aurvana Live!
Shure 440 or 840.
Sony MDR-V6
ATH-ES7

(Open)
Audio Technica AD700
Grado SR60/SR80
Alessandro MS-1

Moving up to $200 brings in alot of choices, but most of them require amps.

It's my opinion that-
  1. You'll need a pair of headphones that you want to use without an amp for convenience purposes.
  2. After you buy your first pair of headphones, you'll be able to better figure out what it is that you want, and make a better purchase at the higher price point.

Jan 14, 2011 at 4:41 PM Post #9 of 51
Welcome Shane.

If you have a $200 budget I would give you the same advice I gave my son. Try a set of Etymotic HF5s and Grado SR60s or SR80s. The HF5s are in-ear and are good for taking out of the house or in the car and the Grados are good for when he is at home and can listen to open backs.

I am sure you will get other good advice.

Good luck.

Jan 14, 2011 at 6:57 PM Post #10 of 51
Im new too and I got the M50 based on all the reviews and recommendations. It sounds really good out of the box. You can get it at ~120 or less. B&H and uniquesquared have it for 109 but it's on back order so i called up J&R and they sold it to me for 120 (shipping included). Good luck!

Jan 14, 2011 at 7:09 PM Post #11 of 51
My favorite headphone under $200 is the Koss Pro DJ 100. It has a balanced sound ans is more portable than most other headphones comparable to it.
I prefer it to the M50, SRH-840, ESW9, HFI-580, SRH-440, 750DJ and basically dozens of other headphones. The only thing that comes close is the AKG K240 Studio.
Shure SRH-840 is nearly as good, but loses points due to it's comfort. M50 is good, but not a good pick for me due to poor vocals and too much bass (on my black boxed version).

My best suggestion for $200 is to get the DJ100 for $80 and a cheap portable amp. I use the Total Airhead.

Jan 14, 2011 at 8:33 PM Post #12 of 51
If you want true hi-fi sound, the Fischer 003 from Russia is a closed HD600. Most of the other phones mentioned so far are good, but not near the refined qualities of higher end phones. The Fishers run off of anything.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back