Best Headphone for the Woo WA22
Nov 12, 2010 at 5:41 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

Icenine2

Headphoneus Supremus
I finally ordered the Woo WA22.  Currently I own AKG K701's.  I listened to beyerdynamic T-1 at Skylab's on a WA6 and it was beautiful.  But that was a single ended setup and WA22 is balanced.  I thought I'd get the T-1s but I didn't know it was a hard wire mod.  The Senn HD800's and LCD-2 are nice because you just plug them to a balanced cable and your done.  Plus if you end up selling them it's just easier w/o balanced.  Opinions?  I know nothing about the LCD-2's except what I've read and understand they are particular about the amp they are paired with.  Thanks.

Keith

Nov 27, 2010 at 12:28 AM Post #2 of 6

Quote:
I finally ordered the Woo WA22.  Currently I own AKG K701's.  I listened to beyerdynamic T-1 at Skylab's on a WA6 and it was beautiful.  But that was a single ended setup and WA22 is balanced.  I thought I'd get the T-1s but I didn't know it was a hard wire mod.  The Senn HD800's and LCD-2 are nice because you just plug them to a balanced cable and your done.  Plus if you end up selling them it's just easier w/o balanced.  Opinions?  I know nothing about the LCD-2's except what I've read and understand they are particular about the amp they are paired with.  Thanks.

Keith

I am running my WA22 with a Sennheiser HD800 with the Cardas cable and balanced connectors.  I really like it.  I have not heard any other 'phones, so I can't compare.  I have read alot that the HD800 is a good match.  Then again there are the T1 crowd and I have read threads from them saying they loved the T1 with the WA22.

There is a kind of a tone to the headphone irregardless of the amp, so the question is did you like the T1 sound?

Nov 27, 2010 at 12:37 AM Post #3 of 6
You're sort of working backwards. I usually tell people to find the headphone they want and then determine the best amp for the headphone. You didn't really do anything bad, I just hope you don't fall for a particular headphone and then end up buying another amp for it. Then again, you might find your amp to be the perfect match for your favorite headphones. :)

Nov 27, 2010 at 12:53 AM Post #4 of 6

Quote:
You're sort of working backwards. I usually tell people to find the headphone they want and then determine the best amp for the headphone. You didn't really do anything bad, I just hope you don't fall for a particular headphone and then end up buying another amp for it. Then again, you might find your amp to be the perfect match for your favorite headphones.
smily_headphones1.gif

Hey Uncle, very good point.  That is what I was thinking when I wrote,  "There is a kind of a tone to the headphone irregardless of the amp, so the question is did you like the T1 sound?"

Am I missing something? I would not want to share an opinion that would steer someone the wrong way.

Thanks.

Nov 27, 2010 at 1:45 AM Post #5 of 6
This thread is really wierd... maybe its cause im drunk....just looking at the WA22's specs it depends on the tubes used. Since Audeze recommends at least 2 watts for the LCD-2, if you have the 7236 tubes the WA22 should be fine. WIth the other tubes, not so much. The T1 is a decent headphone thats not too picky about amplification. If you want something that is easy to get a balanced cable for, try the HE-5LE. It's not too expensive and there are a few different balanced cables you can buy or it, take your pick of which snakeoil you like the best.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back