Best headphone for gaming with Poll! ~Vote!
Jan 8, 2011 at 11:07 PM Post #31 of 89
I've never used Dolby Headphone with a pair of high end cans. Only on my roommate's Tritton headset. I just know X-Fi and DT880 make an incredible pair. However, I'm curious about this "blind spot."

Jan 8, 2011 at 11:24 PM Post #32 of 89
I have Dolby Headphone on my soundcard.  They were supremely excellent for the DT-770.  Mixed results for the DT-880.  Not helpful for the AH-D2000.  Their glaring flaw in all of these cases is the robotic voice.  As far as soundstage though, I'd say Dolby Headphone is the greatest achievement in headphone technology ever.

Jan 9, 2011 at 12:17 AM Post #33 of 89
Quote:
I'm willing to bet money that if someone tried the K601 side by side with the K702 they might prefer the K601 (for gaming, not music).

I actually prefer it for both, the K601 is an exceptional headphone that handles about any complaint I had with the K70X models.

With Dolby Headphone is produces solid results time and time again for gaming especially.

Jan 9, 2011 at 12:20 AM Post #34 of 89
auditioned the k702 this friday, i could easily envision these for gaming

Jan 9, 2011 at 12:30 AM Post #35 of 89
Quote:

I really liked the K701 with gaming. It gave me a ridiculous advantage although the presentation was rather unnatural sounding, however, my K/D went up and I was called a hacker enough. I may buy another pair for use as a gaming can but I didn't really care for them with music so maybe just an AD700 or K601. I still need to try the LCD2 with gaming to see how they do.

Jan 9, 2011 at 12:31 AM Post #36 of 89
To me of all listed headphones, the HD595 is the best.

Together with -for example- an actual Creative X-Fi it gives you a perfect gaming sound and (very important!) it's super comfortable to wear.

Maybe the HD598 is a good successor. I have the HD598 here, but had no time to listen to it so far.

ATH-AD 700 is also a good choice, but not as good as the HD595 (from which I own the old 120ohms version).

K701/2 is not comfortable enough for me, DT880 could be a good choice, too... but not without an amp... same goes for HD600, HD650.

HD595 is perfect and not only because I am using it for gaming for years now... :)

Jan 9, 2011 at 12:33 AM Post #37 of 89

Quote:
Quote:

I really liked the K701 with gaming. It gave me a ridiculous advantage although the presentation was rather unnatural sounding, however, my K/D went up and I was called a hacker enough. I may buy another pair for use as a gaming can but I didn't really care for them with music so maybe just an AD700 or K601. I still need to try the LCD2 with gaming to see how they do.

I got accused of hacking when I played socom 2 on the PSP with my grado sr325i's.. can you imagine what the competition is using...mute?

Jan 9, 2011 at 12:38 AM Post #38 of 89
Quote:
 I got accused of hacking when I played socom 2 on the PSP with my grado sr325i's.. can you imagine what the competition is using...mute?

hahaha It does seem that way sometimes. I've had to resist the urge to shoot people through walls because of that.

Jan 9, 2011 at 12:45 AM Post #39 of 89
I plan on doing a huge write up on my experiences.

Let's just say that the K701 with Dolby Headphone is borderline god mode. I never felt that superior with ANY other headphone. I got into this headphone hobby BECAUSE of gaming with Dolby Headphone.

No mistake, the K701 is ridiculous.

As for the 880s, I'm not alone in saying that they do indeed have a hole between 5 and 7 o clock in your direction, which made them almost useless for competitve play. Me and other AVS Forum members have compared all three ohm versions and came up with the same conclusion.

Jan 9, 2011 at 12:49 AM Post #40 of 89
^Agreed. I believe we've tried a lot of the same cans so it should make for a good read. Looking forward to your writeup!

Jan 9, 2011 at 12:51 AM Post #41 of 89
children, why do we have a seperate option for k701/2, shouldn't they be one option?

Jan 9, 2011 at 12:58 AM Post #43 of 89

Quote:
Quote:
children, why do we have a seperate option for k701/2, shouldn't they be one option?

Yes, if you want to split hairs. But I like the white better than the dark color by preference.

if this were a warmer vs cooler skin tone debate, I'd have to ask you what you think of the UFO (limegreen Q701)

Jan 9, 2011 at 1:04 AM Post #44 of 89
Quote:
Yes, if you want to split hairs. But I like the white better than the dark color by preference.

I do too!

Anyway I guess I should make a positive contribution to this thread. I've tried a lot of the cans on the list you've given and so far nothing really touches the K701s. They give you a scary heads-up on where enemies are with plenty of time to position yourself accordingly and great imaging. The DT770 and DT990 didn't have the imaging I needed (blindspot some posters mentioned) which is why I never tried the DT880 as I heard it had the same issue. The only thing I'd like from the K701 is a reduction in soundstage as you lose the realism and become a cyborg/superhuman with that type of hearing range. I'll have to look my notes up on them if you want a more in depth response. Good luck with your search! Cheers!

Jan 9, 2011 at 1:23 AM Post #45 of 89

Quote:
Quote:

I do too!

Anyway I guess I should make a positive contribution to this thread. I've tried a lot of the cans on the list you've given and so far nothing really touches the K701s. They give you a scary heads-up on where enemies are with plenty of time to position yourself accordingly and great imaging. The DT770 and DT990 didn't have the imaging I needed (blindspot some posters mentioned) which is why I never tried the DT880 as I heard it had the same issue. The only thing I'd like from the K701 is a reduction in soundstage as you lose the realism and become a cyborg/superhuman with that type of hearing range. I'll have to look my notes up on them if you want a more in depth response. Good luck with your search! Cheers!

Yes, this seems to be a common response with the K701/K702 of how the soundstage is so large that enemies seems much further away then they really are. To me, I don't see how that can be useful for competitive FPS. And then you have the blind spot with the Beyers. But from what i have been hearing collectively, I guess it comes down to these for the best choices:

K701/K702
DT 880
DT 990

Users who are viewing this thread

Back