Best headphone for gaming with Poll! ~Vote!
Jan 6, 2011 at 11:41 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 89

nastyskillz

Head-Fier
The last thread I had asked for gaming headphones without any budget. I would like to keep the budget under $400 since I wouldn't want the headphones I game with to be better than my HD 650s, or else I would always want to listen to music on them. So for that reason I would say under $400. I already own AD 700s, so anything I buy, I want to see a noticeable upgrade from my 700s. So you can vote or post below, or both. Anything is helpful.

Jan 7, 2011 at 3:32 AM Post #2 of 89
I'd have to go with the k702's and the dt880's.  Both different but both are great and comfortable for gaming.  And combined with dolby headphone dsp, they shine even more.

Jan 7, 2011 at 3:41 AM Post #3 of 89
For competitive gaming (i.e. FPS multiplayer) nothing can touch the k70x. The DT 880s are probably best all the way around for both SP and MP though, if it wasn't for that gaping 'blind (deaf) spot' between 4:30 and 7:30. And uh, why not list the k701/k702s together...?

-Daniel

Jan 7, 2011 at 3:49 AM Post #5 of 89
I've heard that from a few people about the dt880's.  Fortunately i get no 'blind spot' with them, combined with DH.

Jan 7, 2011 at 4:33 AM Post #6 of 89

Quote:
For competetive gaming (i.e. FPS multiplayer) nothing can touch the k70x. The DT 880s are probably best all the way around for both SP and MP though, if it wasn't for that gaping 'blind (deaf) spot' between 4:30 and 7:30. And uh, why not list the k701/k702s together...?

-Daniel

This would be for FPS and for use with the astro mixamp (which produces dolby headphone)  for Xbox 360. And as far as not listing them together idk. Options my friend, options haha.

Jan 7, 2011 at 6:22 AM Post #8 of 89
I too can vouch for the DT880s. I have been through several cans (hfi-780, srh840, dt990, ad700 and d5000s).  The DT880s were and are my choice out of all of those for gaming and all-around use.  

Now, I am looking at the Fischer FA-003s.  For a closed headphone they are supposed to have a very large and accurate soundstage.  They could be another great gaming headphone.  I will know as soon as they are back in stock.  
biggrin.gif

Jan 7, 2011 at 9:45 PM Post #10 of 89
So far the best I've used for gaming is the Audio Technica ATH-AD2000. I wonder how it compares to the AD700 for gaming.
I'd like to try the DT-880 for gaming but I was never impressed with it's soundstage and it's semi-open and not really open.
For me, it seems like forward mids are a huge plus for gaming and the DT-880 just doesn't have that. Still good though for gaming and they do have good imaging.
K702 I hate for gaming, but HD-600 wasn't bad.

BTW does the AD900 have more clamping force or bass than the AD700? Guess I could do a search.

Jan 7, 2011 at 10:20 PM Post #11 of 89
i use whatever headphone i tend to buy for music. i'm not competitive but i do game a lot before i go to bed. i love my akg 240 studio over anything i tried. very detail soundstage for gaming. can hear footprints behind walls in the distance. playing horror titles like amnesia and dead space on my rig is such a thrill with everything from insects crawling through the creaks of the floor/walls to hearing something behind you breathing in your ear. i love it. i know these akgs never get mention for gaming reasons but i think they can be very good alternative compared to much expensive headphones and the ad700's.

Jan 7, 2011 at 10:23 PM Post #12 of 89
I tried the DT880, DT990, HD650, and K701 for gaming. Out of those I preferred the DT880 the most. Unfortunately I let my friend borrowed them and he refused to give them back. Luckily he paid me the amount I paid for them. I've been thinking about buying another pair of DT880, this time the 600ohm version but I might just get the T1 instead.

Jan 8, 2011 at 3:19 AM Post #13 of 89

I totally agree with you. The K240 Studio is one under-appreciated budget gaming headphone. The AD700 might be better for gaming, but the K240 Studio would be be far better for music than the AD700 to me. I think for the under $100 price, the DJ100 and K240 Studio would get my vote for the best alternatives of the AD700. HD-555 might be OK, but I haven't heard them in over a year.

Darn, I should have tried my DT-880 for gaming when I had it. I don't even think I got a chance. I imagine it's far, far better than the K702 for gaming.
Quote:
i use whatever headphone i tend to buy for music. i'm not competitive but i do game a lot before i go to bed. i love my akg 240 studio over anything i tried. very detail soundstage for gaming. can hear footprints behind walls in the distance. playing horror titles like amnesia and dead space on my rig is such a thrill with everything from insects crawling through the creaks of the floor/walls to hearing something behind you breathing in your ear. i love it. i know these akgs never get mention for gaming reasons but i think they can be very good alternative compared to much expensive headphones and the ad700's.

Jan 8, 2011 at 3:28 AM Post #15 of 89

Quote:
I tried the DT880, DT990, HD650, and K701 for gaming. Out of those I preferred the DT880 the most. Unfortunately I let my friend borrowed them and he refused to give them back. Luckily he paid me the amount I paid for them. I've been thinking about buying another pair of DT880, this time the 600ohm version but I might just get the T1 instead.

The T1 is the most amazing headphone for gaming i have tried. too bad i had to hand it back to a friend. Probably not a cost effective solution but ........if you got the money.  

Users who are viewing this thread

Back