Best grados under 300$
Nov 6, 2010 at 6:54 PM Post #17 of 44
As much as I love the SR-325is's, I agree that some can find them very bright. I find them the most lush sounding, have the most impact, have the biggest soundstage of the Grado's SR line, but many can't deal with their treble and as such don't like them as much. Also they are much heavier than other Grado's by quite a bit and can cause pain on your ears rather quickly. I sold mine because they did not get much use after I got my T1's, and I liked the sound of the K601/HD600/DT770/DT880/DT990 much more. I would recommend trying them first.

Now the SR-225i is the next runner up and has a smoother sound to it (treble is not as prominent) and is my next fave headphone from the SR line. The bass is still plentiful and has good impact and extension. Midrange's are very fluid sounding with just the right amount of coloration to make guitars scream. I personally find the colored midrange to also effect the vocals and can sometimes work against them. Now the treble is nice and much more tame than it's older brother, but still forward enough not to be muffled or distant (it's actually still very forward treble). This one is an easy recommendation from me.

Now for the Alessandro's. The Alessandro's are made by Grado, but are tuned to be more neutral and accurate across all frequencies. The MS1/MS1i is based off the SR-125 series of driver and as such still retains the main characteristic that is of a more forward treble. The treble however is not as strident sounding as the Grado counterpart is. It's smoother and nearly just as detailed sounding. Also it is know than the SR-125/SR-125i has a slightly leaner midrange, which still translates over the the MS1/MS1i, but because of the reduced treble the mids become slightly fuller. This is a very good thing IMO as the Grado version didn't really have all that "midrange magic" that I love in the Grado's. The bass is also more accurate as Grado's to me have a more tubey or fun sounding bass. The Alessandro's bass is more neutral. I personally love the more accurate bass. The Alessandro's improve upon the 125 series IMO and clearly sound superior.

At least those are my views.

Nov 6, 2010 at 7:57 PM Post #18 of 44

Quote:
Aren't you looking for the "best" Grado's under $300 like your title states? Well, there is no "best" unfortunately -- especially when it comes to Grado. (When it comes to "Grado" and "Price" -- it would be best to just ignore, as it's skewed)

Why? Well, the thread explains. All of the Grados under the "Reference Series" sound too similar to pick one and classify it as an all out "best". In fact, many say that cannot hear a difference between them. So you might be perfectly content with "just" the SR80i.

If you are just looking at graphs and making assumptions based on what you see rather than what you hear, then you got it all wrong. Anyone who is not partially or completely deaf can easily tell the difference between an SR60 and an SR325. Hell, even an SR80 against an SR125 is easily differentiated.  

Nov 6, 2010 at 8:21 PM Post #19 of 44
I listned to the 80 125 225 and 325 today, the diffrence for the price was really not that big of a gap, the 80i sound like the 25 to me with the g cups on them, and properly amped. 

Nov 6, 2010 at 8:26 PM Post #20 of 44

Quote:
thanks ham, yea i have looked into 32 ohm on there "web site" i have yet ot have a chance to go down there.... hopefully i ill for mah birth day!

A visit to 32 Ohm Audio would be a great birthday trip.  I pretty much try to use any excuse to get over there.  I bought my 325is there.  Got to try them first and use my own amp to see how they'd do.  The shop is a toy store for headphone geeks.  A whole wall of demo headphones.  Give as many of them a try as you can.  You may find something that suits you better for your rock music better than a Grado.  I don't consider the Grados to be a universal rock phone.  It does some rock very well, some rock not as well, and some rock not well at all, at least to my ears.  But that all depends on  your personal sound preferences and the style of rock you listen to.

If you head over to 32 Ohm Audio make sure you have the new address.  They recently moved.  You don't want to end up driving to the old location.

And I'll second the cautions about the 325is.  If you find yourself thinking you want them make sure you know what you're getting yourself in to.  The SR325is is heavy.  Less comfortable for longer listening than the plastic SR series Grados and the woodie RS series Grados.  The SR325is has a sound that can make them appealing compared to the lower SR series Grados.  But more likely they have a sound that makes them harder to listen to than the lower end SR series.  It's a Grado that you need to listen to first before deicing if it is the right Grado for you.  The SR225i is an easier Grado to recommend than the SR325is.

Nov 6, 2010 at 8:38 PM Post #21 of 44

Quote:
I listned to the 80 125 225 and 325 today, the diffrence for the price was really not that big of a gap, the 80i sound like the 25 to me with the g cups on them, and properly amped. 

Cool!
The SR series Grados are quite similar in overall sound.  The differences between them can be somewhat subtle.  But it's that search for that subtle that drives head-fi.

A sane course of action would be to get the SR60 or SR80 and then try a higher end Grado later on if you discover you yearn for the subtle that differentiates the various models.

Nov 7, 2010 at 1:03 PM Post #23 of 44
Quote:
Anyone who is not partially or completely deaf can easily tell the difference between an SR60 and an SR325. Hell, even an SR80 against an SR125 is easily differentiated.  

I would be careful about saying "anyone", because the word "anyone" means "everyone". And the word "everyone" means 100% of a population.

There is absolutely no such thing as 100% on Head-Fi. This is an opinions based community, not an encyclopedia full of permanent facts.

And besides, I don't doubt there is a difference, because there actually is. Well, in statistics, there is also difference between 5% and 5.01% as well...

Nov 7, 2010 at 1:54 PM Post #24 of 44
Consider me one of the anyones then. I can easily tell the difference between SR60 and SR325.

Nov 7, 2010 at 2:51 PM Post #25 of 44

Quote:
There is absolutely no such thing as 100% on Head-Fi. This is an opinions based community, not an encyclopedia full of permanent facts.

Well, you got that right..

Nov 7, 2010 at 2:54 PM Post #26 of 44
No doubt the Sr-80i's.Phenominal for only 100 bucks. dont bother to get anything better, the difference is miniscule, and out of all the Grados, my favorites are the PS-1000 and the SR-80i's.

happy listening,
wags

Nov 7, 2010 at 3:15 PM Post #27 of 44
I've owned pretty much every Grado from the SR-60 - RS1i (except the RS-2) and for under $300, I would say the SR225i.
smile.gif

Nov 7, 2010 at 4:00 PM Post #28 of 44

Quote:
Consider me one of the anyones then. I can easily tell the difference between SR60 and SR325.

i could tell the difference from the 60 to the 325, but i didn't want to pay 100$ more for a subtle change.

Nov 7, 2010 at 4:02 PM Post #29 of 44

Quote:

i could tell the difference from the 60 to the 325, but i didn't want to pay 100$ more for a subtle change.

You asked for the best Grado under $300...and when amped properly and with a good source, the differences are not as subtle as you think. The SR225i's do scale much better with upstream gear than the SR-60s.

Nov 7, 2010 at 4:43 PM Post #30 of 44
hmmm i see, well i got the 80i's with the g cups and my little dot MK II+ and im happy with it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back