Best closed headphones under (around) $400
Feb 26, 2011 at 8:13 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 35

mooseling1

New Head-Fier
To save time waffling as im sure you dont want to hear all about my life story, this is basically the requirements the headphones need to have:
1) Closed, and have good sound attenuation and do not leak a lot of sound (very important)
2) Below roughly $400, i will spend more if i find a really good pair though
3) I am interested in have good quality sound throughout the frequency response rather than (for example) a booming bass.
4) Not made by monster (!!) 
5) Can be used effectively with an ipod, so no headphones with to high impedence..
6) I prefer good quality bass which isnt muddy over one with lots of exaggerated bass
7) Clear treble that isnt shrill
8)  Are comfortable to wear for long periods of time.

I do not need headphones that produce an absolutely flat response and equally do not care about the look of them (as far as im concerned they are for music not for looking pretty. (one reason i hate the monster headphones)) 

I listen to most kinds of music, mostly pop and rap but occasionally some classical as well.

As for folding up, its preferable but not important. I am happy to have a pair that dont fold up...

Headphones i am considering: Sennheiser HD380 pro (around $300)

Thanks for your help :)

Feb 26, 2011 at 11:04 AM Post #5 of 35

Quote:
Keep checking Amazon. When they last had them in stock, they were around $389. camelcamelcamel.com can watch the price and alert you of changes.

I live in the UK, i used dollars though as most people on this forum use that currency. They are when converted over $1000 in the UK. How is it all so cheap for you!!? if it wasnt for warranty i would buy them in the USA and ship them across... 

Feb 26, 2011 at 12:14 PM Post #7 of 35

Quote:
Check the for sale forum. The D2000 and D5000 can be found there from time to time.

I have had a look around on amazon and found a pair of new D2000 from denon themselves for just a little over my upper budget. Have you ever used them? Are they good headphones? i have read some reviews but would appreciate any feedback you have on them..

Feb 26, 2011 at 12:29 PM Post #8 of 35
Feb 26, 2011 at 12:35 PM Post #9 of 35
I also liked D5000 best of several closed headphones I owned in your budget, but they were not adequately isolating for my (admittedly extreme) needs.   Sonically they're not perfect - they do have slightly emphasized treble and with some songs you really notice their recessed mids.  SRH840 are not as open feeling (their biggest drawback), but are more neutral across the spectrum, have tighter bass and better mids imo.  They also fold up and can take much more abuse than the wooden Denons.  Both hold up well out an ipod but do improve with an anp.  In your shoes, I'd wait a few weeks until the reviews come in on the upcoming SRH940, which I'm guessing will improve on SRH840s flaws.

The fs forum here is a great place to find Denons & Shures- I sold my D5000 for a song to someone with a nice wtb ad.

Feb 26, 2011 at 5:13 PM Post #10 of 35

Quote:
I also liked D5000 best of several closed headphones I owned in your budget, but they were not adequately isolating for my (admittedly extreme) needs.   Sonically they're not perfect - they do have slightly emphasized treble and with some songs you really notice their recessed mids.  SRH840 are not as open feeling (their biggest drawback), but are more neutral across the spectrum, have tighter bass and better mids imo.  They also fold up and can take much more abuse than the wooden Denons.  Both hold up well out an ipod but do improve with an anp.  In your shoes, I'd wait a few weeks until the reviews come in on the upcoming SRH940, which I'm guessing will improve on SRH840s flaws.

The fs forum here is a great place to find Denons & Shures- I sold my D5000 for a song to someone with a nice wtb ad.

Is that the 

[size=1.3em] Shure SRH940 Professional Monitoring Headphones?[/size]

They look good, i will wait to see what people say, one thing i would love is an open feeling, i hate music that sounds recessed. I recently spent a while moving my speakers in my room around and rewiring it all and have managed to achieve an unbelievable sense of openness while also oddly making the actual sound quality better, treble seems clearer and bass is much harder hitting. 

Feb 26, 2011 at 5:32 PM Post #12 of 35

Quote:
Though I haven't heard them myself, the Fischer Audio FA-003 or it's woodied variants seem to fit the bill for you, judging from the reviews it is getting. See here: http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/491632/review-fischer-audio-fa-003-a-neutral-champ

They look very good, i will ready the reviews for them and see what i think, i have read one or two reviews and they seem to be scoring excellently. But i havent found any prices yet so i suspect that might become bit of a problem... 

Feb 26, 2011 at 5:56 PM Post #13 of 35
ATH-ES10, ESW10JPN, Ultrasone Pro 900, HFI780, Denon D1100, Z1000.

Feb 26, 2011 at 5:58 PM Post #14 of 35
Thanks, i shall look into those... I cant believe the choice out there!! This could take some time.... 

Feb 26, 2011 at 6:31 PM Post #15 of 35
I love the Ultrasone Pro 900 and they meet your criteria. Be aware, however, that they are bass beasts although not at the expense of the mids and highs.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back