Best closed headphones for ~$50
Dec 17, 2010 at 5:53 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

mojoe24

New Head-Fier
I know the Grado SR60s are good, but they are open and I can't find them for anything closer than $80.  I'm looking to pick up some headphones for my friend.

Dec 17, 2010 at 6:19 PM Post #3 of 6
beyerdynamic dt235 are pretty nice, they look wack but they sound amazing.  I dont have as much experience as most ppl here, but they definitely sound tighter and more accurate than my sennheiser hd238 (which cost like $70).  One thing that I really like about them is they don't feel like music is being blasted right next to your ear, if you know what i mean, I almost get the sense that the music is coming from outside the headphone, thru the headphone, and into my ear.  Instruments especially, vocals not so much.  I'm sure there's some word to describe that, but i dont know what it is. 

They are a little weak on bass though when I play em off my laptop, but when I play them off my receiver they sound PERFECT.  A nice blend of all frequencies, I don't think they have any kind of artificial boost at any freq range.  I'm a straight up hip hop head but when i'm rockin these I find myself listening more to rock/acoustic music, maybe they're geared towards that, i dont know.  These headphones definitely got me diggin back out a lot of music i aint listened to for a while.  The only experience I have with headphones over $25 is with the two i mentioned above, so take my opinion for what its worth.

I caught these for $45 shipped from amazon

Dec 17, 2010 at 9:15 PM Post #5 of 6
no clue bro, I never heard the grado's.  I know people compare the grado's a lot to sennheiser hd238.  dt235 compared to hd238 are better in certain aspects (tightness, midrange, highs seem more precise) and worse in others (hd238 has much better bass and instrument seperation), so i'd assume the dt235 is in the same league as the grados.

There's really no "better" headphone, if that was the case then we'd all just have that one.  They just have different sounds to them.  I hear the grado's are a little lacking in bass, kinda like the dt235.  If someone has both grado and dt235 they'd be able to give u a better answer. Either way tho, you can't go wrong, nothing that will blow you away but both are definitely very well built headphones.

I never heard rp-htx7

Dec 18, 2010 at 11:44 PM Post #6 of 6
ok, so i'm just gonna go ahead and kinda back tracked on a couple things, I know the thread is kinda dead but just for the sake if anyone is going thru these threads when searching for any of the headphones I mentioned, I feel as if I gave wrong advice.  After listening to my dt235 and hd238 back to back, same song, the hd238 is superior and its definitely more precise.  I guess the dt235 has a better "blend" across its frequency range, where as the hd238 gives me the feeling that its slightly spiked in certain areas, particularly in the lower and higher ranges.

When I listen to acoustic on the hd238 it truly feels as tho someone is sitting in front of me plucking away at a guitar, I can hear the person's hand sliding back and forth across the strings, and each pluck is just more defined.  dt235 is just not on the same level, so they're probably not on the same level as grado's, just wanted to clear that up. 

my bad, sorry if i gave bad advice, but trust me the dt235 are still some pretty damn good headphones no doubt.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back