Best Closed Back Over Ear Headphone?
Sep 19, 2014 at 11:33 PM Post #16 of 82
hummmmm. I see

Sep 23, 2014 at 11:17 PM Post #18 of 82
  Ultrasone closed headphones would not make it to the top of the list even if they cost only 10 dollars and not 5000.

hahah so true.

Sep 23, 2014 at 11:20 PM Post #19 of 82
  General. Vocal:pop, Blues, Jazz.    Instruments: Violin, Piano, general Symphonies...  

There are one headphones with their sound signature to fit perfectly your preferred style of music but they are not cheap, you would have to spend about 1300 to 1500 dollars to get them. The upside is these headphones are currently the best closed ones that can be obtained. I do not count Sony MDR-R10, they might be the best closed headphones ever but they cost like 6000 dollars on the vintage headphones market and they are about a quarter of century old.

Sep 24, 2014 at 1:23 AM Post #20 of 82
just test out the yamaha mt220...it will do the job.

Sep 24, 2014 at 5:17 AM Post #21 of 82
Fostex TH900 is in its own league but Pandora Hope VI is not far off for 1/3 of the price.

I also got an old HD222 recently and put velour pads on with some extra padding inside - amazing.

Oct 20, 2014 at 12:00 AM Post #22 of 82
Interested in similar advice. Bought the ATH-A900X in search of a highly comfortable, closed back capable of achieving a nice, neutral sound across a wide variety from Latin to singer/songwriter acoustic to electronic to hip-hop. Love the sound, but find my ears heat up too much, so on the hunt again.

From this thread and others I've noted:

-SoundMAGIC HP100  
-Yamaha HPH-MT220
-Beyerdynamic DT-150
-Sony MDR-1R

Really looking for value for price here. 

Got any other suggestions in addition to list above?

Oct 20, 2014 at 2:49 AM Post #23 of 82
u can buy a pair of dt100velorpads for the dt150. :p

Oct 20, 2014 at 4:55 AM Post #24 of 82
  Interested in similar advice. Bought the ATH-A900X in search of a highly comfortable, closed back capable of achieving a nice, neutral sound across a wide variety from Latin to singer/songwriter acoustic to electronic to hip-hop. Love the sound, but find my ears heat up too much, so on the hunt again.

-SoundMAGIC HP100  
-Yamaha HPH-MT220
-Beyerdynamic DT-150
-Sony MDR-1R

Please no Sony MDR-1R, they are quite worse than A900X. Audio-Technica has new headphones, ATH-MRS7, in the same price bracket as MDR-1R and according to first review they are also better than MDR-1R.
1 - http://www.head-fi.org/t/738762/new-a-t-headphones-and-portable-amps-ckr9-ltd-msr7-dn1000-usb-esw9-ltd-w1000z-pha100
2 - http://translate.google.ca/translate?hl=en&sl=fr&u=http://on-mag.fr/index.php/topaudio/tests-auditions/12782-test-exclusif-casque-ath-mrs7-la-nouvelle-vison-casual-et-chic-d-audio-technica&prev=/search%3Fq%3Dath-mrs7%252

Oct 20, 2014 at 8:48 AM Post #25 of 82

-SoundMAGIC HP100  
-Yamaha HPH-MT220
-Beyerdynamic DT-150
-Sony MDR-1R

MrSpeakers Alpha Dogs or if on a budget MrSpeakers Mad DOG Pro's.

Oct 20, 2014 at 10:50 AM Post #26 of 82
MrSpeakers Alpha Dogs or if on a budget MrSpeakers Mad DOG Pro's.
they are not as efficient as the rest quoted,
so if going portable not optimal..
Nobody mentioned the AKG545 for the value.

The onkyo300 has titanium driver with superior detailing but would need a pad swap to make over ear.

Only mentioned because of price but those new AT are promising and should sound excellent over most others..
So stil have to give the nod to those ATH-MRS7..unherd..

But going for best,
new sony
Mdr z7 looks to be the new leader in best closed although its too early to tell if it can surpass the th600..

Personally I am totally satisfied with my Ultrasone ed8,
Yet am waiting for the AT ESW9LTD. .
which is only one I mention thats not an over ear..

Oct 20, 2014 at 10:53 AM Post #27 of 82
Thanks for the advice, all.
Definitely on a budget so would only consider Mad Dog or Mad Dog Pros. How do they compare to A900x?

Lorspeaker, good advice on the Beyer velour pads. Audio-Technica sent me some very basic velour covers to replace the pleather due to my complaint call to customer service. The heat problem is improved but the sound loses a lot of clarity , particularly bass. Any reason to think the Beyer velour pads would be better?

Oct 20, 2014 at 12:03 PM Post #28 of 82
Cool I hope which ever set of cans you choose, they put a smile on your face.

Oct 20, 2014 at 12:50 PM Post #29 of 82
they are not as efficient as the rest quoted,
so if going portable not optimal..
Nobody mentioned the AKG545 for the value.

The onkyo300 has titanium driver with superior detailing but would need a pad swap to make over ear.

Only mentioned because of price but those new AT are promising and should sound excellent over most others..
So stil have to give the nod to those ATH-MRS7..unherd..

But going for best,
new sony
Mdr z7 looks to be the new leader in best closed although its too early to tell if it can surpass the th600..

Personally I am totally satisfied with my Ultrasone ed8,
Yet am waiting for the AT ESW9LTD. .
which is only one I mention thats not an over ear..

+1 on the AKG k545 for a pair of portable closed headphones. Great value as can be found for $200ish or less nowadays.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back