Best clip-ons: Yuin G1A, ATH-EW9, KSC-35km, modded KSC-35, Yuin G2A, MDR-Q68LW, DIY Grado clip-ons, KSC-75
Nov 19, 2009 at 1:08 AM Post #91 of 177
You helped me to revise my chart; I placed open ATs a row higher in my list.

Quote:

Originally Posted by f4phantom2500 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
My current mobile setup is an iPod Nano 4th gen > Fiio e5 (getting an e1 this week) > G2A... I'm wondering if the G1A's are a worthwhile upgrade? At home I use ATH-AD700's and am getting a modded X-Fi soon.

G1A is a worthwhile upgrade over G2A if you will upgrade your amp (E5) also. With proper source, G1A will also surpass AD700, except soundstage. I do not know whether modded X-Fi suffices.

Nov 19, 2009 at 4:23 AM Post #92 of 177
Quote:

Originally Posted by kostalex /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You helped me to revise my chart; I placed open ATs a row higher in my list.

G1A is a worthwhile upgrade over G2A if you will upgrade your amp (E5) also. With proper source, G1A will also surpass AD700, except soundstage. I do not know whether modded X-Fi suffices.

When you say upgrade the amp from E5, I assume you mean something beyond the E1? Not sure how much better the iPod line out is than the headphone jack, but aren't the E1 and E5 supposed to be similar performance-wise? Did you have any specific amp in mind, or could you give me some examples of ones that would make the G1A's shine?

EDIT: Also, I see the RE0 are really high on your list. Are they really that good? They're so cheap (price-wise)...unfortunately I don't care much for IEM's; too invasive, too isolating. I need to be able to hear my surroundings and I just don't like shoving things into my ear. I have some ER-6i's, but I haven't used them once since I bought the G2A's.

Nov 19, 2009 at 4:56 AM Post #93 of 177
Quote:

When you say upgrade the amp from E5, I assume you mean something beyond the E1? Not sure how much better the iPod line out is than the headphone jack, but aren't the E1 and E5 supposed to be similar performance-wise? Did you have any specific amp in mind, or could you give me some examples of ones that would make the G1A's shine?

I yet to hear E1 but I doubt it will drive G1A well. G1A sings with iBasso D3, D10, Pico, Meier Move, XIN Supermicro. For less expensive options, I think Headsix, iBasso T3, D2+ will suit you well.

Quote:

EDIT: Also, I see the RE0 are really high on your list. Are they really that good?

Yes, they are. New pricing makes me mad, I want to buy one just for spare.

Nov 19, 2009 at 7:54 AM Post #94 of 177
Alright, I couldn't resist. I ordered some RE0's. I really like the sound of the AD700's, as well as the G2A's, so I'll let you know my thoughts on the RE0.

Dec 19, 2009 at 8:20 AM Post #95 of 177
Quote:

Comparing to G2A, KSC-75 bass is bloated and slow, the mids are indistinctive, highs are schematic due to the recession. The look is awkward; clips are less comfortable despite the flexibility.

I have to disagree. I find the KSC75 clips to be more comfortable because of their flexibility. I use clip-ons at work for about 6 hours a day, 6 days a week. My job involves constant movement; I sort outbound mail at the post office all day. The Yuin clips become almost abrasive and irritating, but using the Koss clips allows me to make the Yuins snug against my ears without being too tight as to cause discomfort. This level of long-term comfort, for me, is very beneficial. With this level of customization, after a few minutes I literally can not feel the headphones on my ears unless I move my head (thus pulling the chord).

Dec 19, 2009 at 6:14 PM Post #97 of 177
Quote:

Originally Posted by BLOX /img/forum/go_quote.gif
would like to try ultramodded KSC35.^^

Let me show its latest incarnation, lets call it

[size=small]KSC-35km - kostalex mod[/size]

attachment.php

I took the drivers from SportaPro, they are the same to KSC-35 drivers. Then I applied the mods:
  • Drilled the grills and fixed them firmly to avoid any fluttering.
  • Added the Yuin G2A covers for the back damping. Great improvement!
  • Used thicker foam taken from Koss Featherweight.
  • Re-bended KSC-75 clips for better fit with thicker foams.
  • Recabled with Sennheiser mx500 OFC (!) cable.
  • Used its inline volume control (see bottom left corner) to add some series impedance, approx famous 75 Ohm in the middle position.
Yeah, I understand that the last mod is questionable, since potentiometer quality is not top-notch. But it is convenient, since I can set it near zero if the source is weak.

Sound

Excellent! I do not miss G1A anymore. This "KSC-35" is bassier while also detailed, and can be used unamped. I will compare it face to face with G1A sometime and report here. UPDATE APR 4, 2010: I compared, see OP for some details.

Dec 19, 2009 at 7:25 PM Post #98 of 177
^
you modified it again,
last modified in this thread.G1A won KSC35 ultramodded.

>Excellent! I do not miss G1A anymore.
So right now you gonna say that KSC35 2nd ultramodded could win G1A.
The last mod is really questionable.
I will be waiting for KSC35 2nd ultramodded comparing with G1A.

Dec 21, 2009 at 7:29 AM Post #100 of 177
You feel the closed back of the G2 enclosure is an improvement? I would think it would significantly reduce the soundstage over the regularly open back Koss design.

I'm planning to buy a G1A after the holidays and was planning to give impressions at some point, since interest in them seems to have waned. I've found that my G2A were indeed lacking proper break-in when I wrote my impressions of them. They are truly impressive for their $50 asking price. The treble has smoothed out very nicely and the limited dynamics I was complaining about have improved as well, though this is still a noticeable flaw of them. Just impressively balanced from top to bottom, if they had the soundstage of a semi-open design I'd call them the perfect portable headphone.

Dec 21, 2009 at 8:04 AM Post #101 of 177
Quote:

Originally Posted by Xcalibur255 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You feel the closed back of the G2 enclosure is an improvement? I would think it would significantly reduce the soundstage over the regularly open back Koss design.

It is not closed indeed but rather damped. Its edge is opened and stuffed by the foam. So I consider it to be semi-open comparing to open back Koss, the same way DT880 corresponds to DT990.

Soundstage with open back is larger, you are right. I tried both G2A and KSC-35 with and without covers. With covers, soundstage is more narrow, but sound has more density and much better focused. So I prefer covers. Thicker foams help to expand SS and remove some excessive bass.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Xcalibur255 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm planning to buy a G1A after the holidays and was planning to give impressions at some point, since interest in them seems to have waned. I've found that my G2A were indeed lacking proper break-in when I wrote my impressions of them. They are truly impressive for their $50 asking price. The treble has smoothed out very nicely and the limited dynamics I was complaining about have improved as well, though this is still a noticeable flaw of them. Just impressively balanced from top to bottom, if they had the soundstage of a semi-open design I'd call them the perfect portable headphone.

It would be nice if you edit your previous comment, adding after burn-in changes.

Dec 21, 2009 at 8:23 AM Post #102 of 177
Quote:

It is not closed indeed but rather damped. Its edge is opened and stuffed by the foam. So I consider it to be semi-open comparing to open back Koss, the same way DT880 corresponds to DT990.

Soundstage with open back is larger, you are right. I tried both G2A and KSC-35 with and without covers. With covers, soundstage is more narrow, but sound has more density and much better focused. So I prefer covers. Thicker foams help to expand SS and remove some excessive bass.

From what I have learnt.You are right.

Jan 2, 2010 at 9:36 AM Post #103 of 177
Unmodded: Do you think that the G1A is worth the extra $100 coming straight out of an iPhone 3GS?

Jan 2, 2010 at 11:03 AM Post #104 of 177
Quote:

Originally Posted by Raez /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Unmodded: Do you think that the G1A is worth the extra $100 coming straight out of an iPhone 3GS?

No.

Jan 2, 2010 at 11:12 AM Post #105 of 177
Quote:

Originally Posted by Raez /img/forum/go_quote.gif

They are right at the turning-point, being just slightly better than G2A with the same source (EDIT: I mean iPhone 3G). So the answer depends on how much $100 worth for you. And I have to clarify that I tried them with 3G, not 3GS. I do beleive they are the same though.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back