Best clip-ons: Yuin G1A, ATH-EW9, KSC-35km, modded KSC-35, Yuin G2A, MDR-Q68LW, DIY Grado clip-ons, KSC-75
Aug 10, 2009 at 2:29 AM Post #61 of 177
Quote:

Originally Posted by kostalex /img/forum/go_quote.gif

H1 HD650, W5000, SR-404, ER-4S OFC recabled, w/ custom tips

While I agree with your review on the ATH-EW9, which I own, I am very much confused about this line you wrote. I have no idea how you could classify the HD650 a W5000 in the same range, as I have owned both these headphones for extended periods of time, and I can easily say that the W5000 is an extremely far superior headphone to the HD650.

Aug 10, 2009 at 2:42 AM Post #62 of 177
I agree that with some lesser rigs HD650 does not meet W5000 level. But it scales up with amps and cables so much and I believe it may run W5000 down.

Aug 10, 2009 at 3:09 AM Post #63 of 177
Quote:

I agree that with some lesser rigs HD650 does not meet W5000 level. But it scales up with amps and cables so much and I believe it may run W5000 down.

True, but headphone for headphone, it is not really a proper comparison. Apparently the HD650 sounds absolutely amazing with a Zana Deux, but the average HD650 owner is running with an amp probably less than a 1/4 of that price. The W5000 is by all means not easy to amp, but you can get away with a much less of an amp, and still get an amazing sound with them.

It is the equivalent of my saying that my SR325i is better than my W5000 because I always run the SR325i off my vinyl rig, and it sounds really good.

Bottom line, it is not fair to say that headphone A and B are equal because headphone A sounds good on an amazing rig. In this case, you are not comparing the headphones anymore, but the entire rigs.

Aug 10, 2009 at 6:00 AM Post #64 of 177
I am not able to compare headphone to headphone without amp & source - they are just silent theirselves
smily_headphones1.gif
In any case, we need some device to plug headphone in. Probably there is some wide known and only reference source for headphones comparisons? Sorry, I never heard about it. On the other hand, I know that amp to headphone matching is must for top notch rigs. I also know that HD650 and W5000 have different requirements to the amps. Thus I can only compare them in a whole rigs, otherwise I will compare their tolerance to the unmatched amps.

I agree that it would be nice to have some base for comparison. But I do not think there is any ultimate source which drives any can with excellence. The only valid approach I see is to set equal $$ amount spent to the whole rig. Then we will have some kind of valid discussion, like:
- Man, if you are limited to $2000, then W5000 plus X amp is the winning combo.
- But if you have one more grand to spare then go with HD650 recabled with Y and amped by Z.

Aug 10, 2009 at 6:08 AM Post #65 of 177
Why not go for a recabled W5000 and an even better amp if you have that much to spare? See where I am going here? lol

What I am saying that that the rigs need to be somehow comparable for the comparison to be fair. It would be very nice if we had some kind of standard to compare to, but we dont, so at least costs of rigs need to be similar.

If with X dollars headphone A tends to sound better than headphone B, then I would be inclined to say that headphone A is a better headphone.

Aug 10, 2009 at 6:19 AM Post #66 of 177
Well, I really think that HD650 is on par with W5000 when you spend more than $1500 to the amp, HP and recabling.

Aug 10, 2009 at 6:28 AM Post #67 of 177
Quote:

Well, I really think that HD650 is on par with W5000 when you spend more than $1500 to the amp, HP and recabling.

lol okay, fair enough we all have different ears, I feel the opposite
beerchug.gif

Aug 12, 2009 at 8:17 AM Post #69 of 177
Quote:

This is how amped G1A does sound. Regarding sound imaging: G1A is not bad here, but modded KSC-35 has bigger soundstage. Nevertheless, both yields to full-size cans in this area.

I appreciate all the input you've given me on the matter. Thanks.
smily_headphones1.gif

Aug 14, 2009 at 2:53 PM Post #70 of 177
[size=medium]Update Aug 14, 09: Converting clip-ons to supraaural[/size]

There are some $1,50 headphones available at PartsExpress.

240-015_L.jpg

You may use its headband for converting Yuins and Kosses to supraaurals which are more comfortable for many. Just remove the stock drivers from headband, remove clips from Yuin or Koss drivers and attach drivers to headband. Locks are compatible, so this is simple. See G2A and modded KSC-75 both attached to these headbands:

attachment.php

Aug 14, 2009 at 4:40 PM Post #71 of 177
I can vouch. It really is more comfortable with the headband since it doesn't put stress on the back of your ears. It kind of sucks that shipping costs more than the actual headphones on PartsExpress though. Oh well, it's still semi-cheap.

By the way, I'm loving my G2A's more and more. I think they sound awesome. I would say they compete with other headphones in the $100 range. I definitely don't regret buying them. They make me want to sell my ES7's.

Aug 21, 2009 at 1:53 PM Post #72 of 177
Thanks, Kostalex!
Your impressions on G1A perfectly matches mine except of one thing - Treble.
It seems to me that treble is while good, but clearly overemphasized, I hear sibilance also.

The unit is not burned in yet (about 20 hours) I drive them with MiniBox. Do you think it will go with burn-in?

Otherwise, I cannot be happier with them. To my ears they clearly outperform OK1(as well as all my other IEMs). I bought them after reading your review. Thanks for the hint!!!

Aug 22, 2009 at 2:49 AM Post #75 of 177
This quote from your link seems to have a sense. I would burn-in next cans with hip-hop or trance.

Quote:

Originally Posted by dfkt /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Furthermore, pink/white/brown noise means all frequencies at the same time, all the time - so the diaphragm doesn't even get a "work out", since it doesn't stretch and contract, as with bass heavy music - it just is tense and agitated all the time, without relaxation. That can't be good.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back