Best clip-ons: Yuin G1A, ATH-EW9, KSC-35km, modded KSC-35, Yuin G2A, MDR-Q68LW, DIY Grado clip-ons, KSC-75
Jun 6, 2009 at 4:19 AM Post #31 of 177
Some reported nice results combining G1A or G2A with cheap headband from Parts-Express.com:*Mini Headphones | headphones earbuds earphones MP3 reference ipod portable walkman mp3 cd personal.

240-015_L.jpg

Quote:

Originally Posted by MisterControversy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Excellent review as always. I love the way you format them. It's a shame I can't use clip-ons without feeling insanely uncomfortable (glasses).

Jun 6, 2009 at 10:14 AM Post #33 of 177
Thanks kostalex. I may have the first G1 then, I'll check when they arrive.

Hmmm...wonder if modding them by adding a thin foam over over the driver will enhance their warmth? I'm no skilled modder, but this may be doable. Whether it's worth doing remains to be seen
smily_headphones1.gif

Jun 6, 2009 at 1:40 PM Post #34 of 177
Quote:

Originally Posted by steviebee /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hmmm...wonder if modding them by adding a thin foam over over the driver will enhance their warmth?

Unlikely.

Jun 9, 2009 at 3:52 AM Post #36 of 177
Just some of my notes:

The upper mids/highs of the G2A are more forward, making them slightly brighter toned, and more in your face (which some people like). However, the downside of this is reduction in balance, causing other elements to fade into the background more. The G1A's are very well balanced, with nothing over-powering anything else, allowing you to hear more of the subtleties, especially in very complex tracks.

The other thing I have noticed is that the G1A's provide more distinction to the sound. For example, two different cymbals sound more different (distinct) on the G1A's than the G2A's, and this carries to everything else. Some of this is the definition of the sound, but also some with the tonal presentation. This becomes even more clear when running the G1A's amp'd. I really like this aspect about G1A's.

When breaking in the G1A's, you definitely need a source with a good amp. After you get 200+ hours on them, the sensitivity is there to allow you to play them quite well off higher quality portable players and computer sound cards. Weaker sources will still need an amp. I can run them off my Sony Walkman (NWZ-S616F) and my higher-end laptop quite well without an amp. I use a NuForce Icon Mobile for my amp, which works well powering the G1A's. It also doubles as a USB sound card, which is great for my crappy work PC and my cheap laptops
smily_headphones1.gif

If you already at the point of owning, or wanting an amp, I suggest just going for the G1A (and amp). If you just want something to listening to off your portable player, go for the G2A's, as they are an awesome value.

Jun 16, 2009 at 4:35 PM Post #39 of 177
To: mr. KOSTALEX

This afternoon i went to the store, wanna try g2a and portapro but currently portapro not avaiable so i listen to g2a and pk2.

i still haven't decided which one should i buy first, because of my limited bugdet, i would like to share this because i sometimes confused how sound quality should heard (i'm newbie and unexperience)

this from what i've heard:
Yuin G2A has a more clear treble (or should i say bright?) than yuin pk2.
for some music the treble on G2A seem overbright (for music genre metal and some music with bad compression or bad source) so sometimes on certain music i reduce the treble.

Vocal on G2a seem heard the vocalist is a little bit above my head and more far from me meanwhile on pk2 vocal seem really in front of me and seem very close to me.
i don't know if it is because of the treble on g2a more clear or because it's the character of the vocal (please explain, thanks)

Bass on g2a so lovely alltough its not that loud and more real to me, but on pk2 the bass seem short (i don't know the term) and louder than g2a.
on some music with speed bass like double pedal on drum g2a seemed a little bit late than on pk2

g2a certainly has more staging than pk2 (i really love it)
the volume on pk2 is louder than g2a at same volume on my ipod.

my question:
1. am i hearing RIGHT (i'm still not sure)?
2. is it a waste on the potential of an earphone if i use the equalizer?

again please correct me if i'm wrong, i also need opinion from others.
and sorry if i post it not on the right thread.

thanks to all

Jun 16, 2009 at 5:24 PM Post #41 of 177
1. You are ALWAYS hearing right. Trust your own ears. They are unique. This is why we are hearing very differently.

2. I also use EQ sometime.

Jun 16, 2009 at 5:25 PM Post #42 of 177
For me, G2A did not change its sound a lot after 50 hours.

Quote:

Originally Posted by stream8989 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
oops, i'm forgot something
the shopkeeper said that yuin pk2 is a year old meanwhile the g2a has running time about 50 hours.
how come after >200 hours?
thanks

Jun 16, 2009 at 6:04 PM Post #43 of 177
Quote:

Originally Posted by kostalex /img/forum/go_quote.gif
For me, G2A did not change its sound a lot after 50 hours.

thanks, i'm so helped with your review.

i think i'll buy g2a this week.

Jun 20, 2009 at 5:56 PM Post #44 of 177
i just got my g2a two days ago.

it turn out that i'm wrong about the sounds of the bass when i said that the bass sometime sounds late on speed bass.
it only happened on song with bad source only (128kbps or lower).
i just tested on same song with 128kbps and 320 kbps and turn out that did not happen on the 320kbps song.

i agree with those who said that this phones is sensitive. when u use song with 320 kbps or lossless it sounds beautiful.

i really enjoy this phones.

Jun 24, 2009 at 1:00 AM Post #45 of 177
Thanks for that review I found it very informative.

The audio technica look really nice (along with its' metal variants), as well as appearing to have a much higher build quality , while the rest look cheap and plasticky, like the 'phones you get free on a plane.

I'm very surprised the ew9s don't top the list, at least when paired with an amp as suggested.

Poll: I have a 24" 1920x1200 monitor, screenspace isn't really an issue.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back