Best clip-ons: Yuin G1A, ATH-EW9, KSC-35km, modded KSC-35, Yuin G2A, MDR-Q68LW, DIY Grado clip-ons, KSC-75
Aug 24, 2009 at 8:20 PM Post #76 of 177
Anybody can compare them to K240/242 whatever version? Just to know is it in the same league or not.

Also, I know, it is not fair, but d2000, from memory sounded quite similar to G1A. It would be interesting to compare with them as well.

I'm thinking about getting some closed/semi-open cans for the office, but since I really like G1A, I'm not sure that AKG or D2000 will be an upgrade.

Aug 26, 2009 at 2:03 AM Post #77 of 177
My break ins, when I bother, always consisted of anything bass heavy at moderate volumes. If the transducer isn't being stretched it seems like there is no point. In recent years I actually just put my music library on the computer on random shuffle and just play real music through them for a while.

Still considering the G1A myself, but the problem is I'd be ensuring I never use the G2A again which seems like a waste. I only like their sound when they are connected to my desktop amp. I'm not particularly impressed with them driven by a portable player alone, and they seem to have unusually bad synergy with my Corda Headsix portable amp. The treble takes on a very nasty and hard-edged bite on the Headsix so using them with the Zune or iPod is out of the question. They really come alive when I shove a bunch of power into them, so I only use them with the VHP2. It's also the only time the treble is controlled enough for me to enjoy listening to them as well.

I guess it was only 50 dollars, but it seems like a shame to have one more headphone collecting dust, and I'm not a big re-seller. I'm glad I tried these regardless. They pretty much sound like I WISHED the Audio Technica ATH-EM7s I bought a long time ago would have sounded like. I've never seen a combination of extreme strengths and weaknesses before or since in any audio device. Outside of a couple of specific things they are just an awful listen, so thank goodness Yuin stepped in to deliver a proper "premium" clip-on listening experience.

Aug 26, 2009 at 4:48 AM Post #78 of 177
A bit late to the thread. My bro picked up both the G1A and G2A looking for a fuller sized option to replace is in-ear/buds that he had and his old Porta Pros. He's owned the PK2 for a while and has listened to my OK1 as well as variety of other IEMs I tried out, and liked the reviews of the G line. He's been enjoying the G1A for a while. He liked the G2A and kind of favored it slightly until he broke in he G1A more. As well, he finally spent a good amount of time comparing back and forth and pretty much concluded the G1A to be superior. I've listened to them casually, the G1A more so then the G2A. I think Yuin built a nice over ear phone. It's not quite my cup of tea in terms of frequency response. I still favor my OK1 over it, although, the more robust midbass/bass presence can be a desirable trait if wanted. The bass wasn't bloated or uncontrolled which was good. Midrange sounds good. The high end is a little quiet for my taste, but again I'm coming from mostly using the OK1 which is slightly bright and with a metal tweeter type of high end. I never really got around to trying it through an EQ and fiddle with the response. It'd be fun to test the kind of range it has. I feel the frequency response overshadows and hides some of the subtleties that may better show through with a more even setting.

I can't comment too much about the effects of pink noise. I do use it a lot for EQing and to break in new earphones. I find it works fine. I'm not sure if your description is correct dfkt. Pink noise is random, but the diaphragm wouldn't simply be stressed and just sitting in the middle. It would actually move randomly around its movement range because low frequencies are includes. The diaphragm will move out towards its extremes in both directions while moving randomly "playing" the higher frequencies as well. It would be more akin to telling a mid woofer to play a strong low frequency note but also upper midrange music. It will do both together. It won't sound great doing it, but the cone will still move through its range and not simply sit in the middle vibrating.

I think there is certain worry about damaging the materials though with any type of audio signal through a speaker. You don't want to overwork the materials or overheat the materials. Break in is simply an initial loosening of parts, but you don't want to overly stress or prematurely wear the materials. Most of the change happens in just a few minutes with less and less progression to the normal long term state from there on out, an exponential process. I do personally feel people get too involved in the break in process. Loosen quickly using soft then progressively louder information. In reality, this should only take minutes. Then just listen and stop worrying about it. Our mind can't remember what something sound liked anyways, so every time you listen, it actually is a different experience, broken in or not.

Sep 3, 2009 at 4:38 PM Post #79 of 177
Quote:

Originally Posted by mvw2 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
It's not quite my cup of tea in terms of frequency response. I still favor my OK1 over it, although, the more robust midbass/bass presence can be a desirable trait if wanted.

Strange... I found my OK1 were totally destroyed by G1A in absolutely every area.

OK1 - much more forwarded midrange, sound unpleasantly colored after G1A.
G1A - more refined, balanced overall, more resolving, especially in the treble.
G1A - bass in much better and linear. OK1 don't have deep bass at all (or have it bloated, depending on fit).
G1A - More extended from both sides.
OK1 - sound grainy after G1A....etc.

Nov 5, 2009 at 2:54 PM Post #80 of 177
AKG K319

22481-earbud-buyers-guide-feat-ok1-pk1-ok2-pk2-ath-cm700-k319-small.jpg

Continuing my quest for the best ultraportables,
I reviewed AKG K319 earbud in depth
and rated it in my Earbud buyer's guide.

You are welcome to read!

Nov 9, 2009 at 5:12 PM Post #81 of 177
I have a KSC75 on Sansa Clip, like it but looking to upgrade because I feel that it is too bright, lack of bass quantity and 0% isolation. I have targeted RE0, G2A or K518 as they isolate better than KSC75. I hope to get some help to compare them with KSC75 based on bass and soundstage.

RE0 is the best of this group of 4, I hesitated getting one because imo its lack of bass quantity. I am guessing assume that,
Bass quantity: K518 > G2A >= KSC75 > RE0
Bass quality: RE0 > G2A > K518 > KSC75
Soundstage: G2A > K518 >= KSC75 >= RE0
Please comment and let me know your opinion. Thanks.

Nov 9, 2009 at 7:23 PM Post #82 of 177
If you're looking for an upgrade from the KSC75, the GA2 is answer. It takes some time for burn-in (~100 hours) but I have found the clarity, extension of highs, wider soundstage and bass is stronger with punch over the KSC75.

RE0 are great but not clip style so the sound stage will be more "in your head" with the iem.

Its interesting that there are a lot of comparisons between the "over ear", iem and earbuds. I've found that the different types lend themselves to different uses. Its typically harder to get the wider soundstage sound in an iem. However, an iem is better for isolation and sound leakage.

Nov 9, 2009 at 7:36 PM Post #83 of 177
Quote:

Originally Posted by ifmy /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Bass quantity: RE0 = G2A > KSC75 (With the right tip the RE0 has maybe a bit more bass than the clip-ons)
Bass quality: about the same on all of them, RE0 lacks a bit more in the lowest octave
Soundstage: KSC75 > G2A > RE0 (G2A are closed back, KSC are open)

I don't have the K518, so I can't say.

Nov 10, 2009 at 2:00 AM Post #84 of 177
Quote:

I have a KSC75 on Sansa Clip, like it but looking to upgrade because I feel that it is too bright, lack of bass quantity and 0% isolation.

Neither RE0 nor G2A will suit you. I recommend KSC-35 ($49 at koss.com). If you pursue isolation, then K518, Shure SE530 or UM2. I read that there are some more bassy IEMs with no excessive brightness, FX500 probably.

SE530 provides a wonderful soundstage also.

Nov 10, 2009 at 6:01 AM Post #85 of 177
I never heard K518, but I may comment on K181 which looks like predecessor to K518:

Bass quantity: K181 > KSC75 > G2A >= RE0
Bass quality: RE0 >= G2A > K181 > KSC75
Soundstage: G2A > KSC75 > RE0 >= K181

Nov 12, 2009 at 9:36 AM Post #86 of 177
Quote:

I have a KSC75 on Sansa Clip, like it but looking to upgrade because I feel that it is too bright, lack of bass quantity and 0% isolation. I have targeted RE0, G2A or K518 as they isolate better than KSC75. I hope to get some help to compare them with KSC75 based on bass and soundstage.

RE0 is the best of this group of 4, I hesitated getting one because imo its lack of bass quantity. I am guessing assume that,

RE0 is bright as well, and don't have any deep bass, don't know about G2A, but G1A are also too bright to my ears, but at least they have some bass. Go for IE8.

P.S. RE0 dont have ANY sounstage - zero, even for IEM standards.

Nov 17, 2009 at 4:07 AM Post #87 of 177
I feel the Gs are brighter throughout the top end than the KSC75, with the exception of the very top of the range before rolloff perhaps. The difference is in the presentation, with the KSC75 having a soft undetailed sound at the high end and the G2A (haven't tried G1A yet) having an unnatural bite to it.

I always used to be amazed at comments calling the KSC75 bright. I find them to be fairly dark, and I think everything is too bright pretty much. I've discovered that how the ear clip is bent can have a very dramatic impact on this. Both of mine where bent far inward, which causes them to press firmly against the ear for a better seal. This reduces highs and turns them into bass monsters. If anybody finds their KSC75 too bright just reshape them to hug your ears more tightly.

Nov 17, 2009 at 4:31 AM Post #88 of 177
Quote:

Originally Posted by lelek45 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
RE0 ... don't have any deep bass... dont have ANY sounstage - zero, even for IEM standards.

Soundstage and deep bass are tied together, without deep bass I lose the soundstage feeling also. Deep bass is gone if IEM does not seal well. RE0 does have fair bass depth with proper seal.

Nov 18, 2009 at 7:52 PM Post #90 of 177
My current mobile setup is an iPod Nano 4th gen > Fiio e5 (getting an e1 this week) > G2A. I use KSC75 clips (snugger fit). I really like these headphones, and I'm wondering if the G1A's are a worthwhile upgrade? At home I use ATH-AD700's and am getting a modded X-Fi soon. According to your list, the difference between the G1A and the AD700 is bigger than the difference between the AD700 and the G2A. Can anyone comment on this?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back