Best classical recordings...ever!
Jul 26, 2014 at 1:51 PM Post #2,026 of 9,368
  haha

Gould's humming and refusal to use WD40 I can cope with..

But Arrau's breathing... That took me a long time  
rolleyes.gif

Is the WD40 reference literally or metaphorically ... I am not sure here
confused.gif
wink.gif
Would anybody otherwise treat the Steinway with a can of WD40 before the recording starts
eek.gif

Jul 26, 2014 at 2:04 PM Post #2,027 of 9,368

Is the WD40 reference literally or metaphorically ... I am not sure here
confused.gif
wink.gif
Would anybody otherwise treat the Steinway with a can of WD40 before the recording starts
eek.gif

I guess he was reffering to Gould's screeking homemade chair
biggrin.gif

The chair is starring for instance in this opus 10 recording

Jul 27, 2014 at 4:26 AM Post #2,030 of 9,368
I love Prokofiev and I think I'm in love with Janine Jansen... 
tongue.gif

The Sonata for violin and piano No1 on this recording is worth the price of admission. 

tongue_smile.gif

Jul 27, 2014 at 9:25 AM Post #2,033 of 9,368
  You're not alone
biggrin.gif

This came in the mail yesterday, great cello Prokofiev stuff, played by the late Alexander Ivashkin

Streaming it now. Lovin it!  

Jul 27, 2014 at 10:35 PM Post #2,035 of 9,368
Another small step in my further discovery of classical music - going back and appreciating Mozart fully. Have been enjoying his string quartets, symphonies, violin + piano concertos. Only dipped my toes in with regards to his operas (and operas in general), except a little of Le Nozze di Figaro - specifically the sull'aria....

Currently settled on the piano sonatas which are stripped down, intimate and most of all beautiful melodies.

Listened to Uchida and Brendel's versions which are very nice - I also really like Gould's style on Mozart sonatas, a nice contrast to the almost-legato interpretations.

Anyone else's versions which I've missed?
Yes, same here - after concentrating on 20th c. music for years, I returned to Mozart and also Schubert. Schubert has almost 1000 works to his credit, and he died even younger than Mozart!

Australian Eloquence recently reissued De Larrocha's Decca Mozart sonatas. Critics prefer these to her later RCA versions and they may be right - these are great. (Enthused by this, I bought a disc of her Scarlatti & Soler sonatas - Soler is an interesting discovery, but sadly these versions seem glib.)
http://www.buywell.com/cgi-bin/buywellic2/efly.html?mv_arg=16283

Eloquence reissued the Requiem conducted by Kertesz, which is now my reference version. Also, Sony recently reissed Zukerman's recordings of the complete Mozart violin sonatas - well worth hearing, good sound too.

For the symphonies, I really like the Marriner complete set, which I got a couple of months ago (an inexpensive reissue on the European Eloquence label). I think this music sounds much better with a chamber orchestra and a relatively light approach, as opposed to the humourless heavyiness of certain Great Maestros. In the late symphonies I find him much better than Menuhin, who critics praised to the skies for some reason.

For the piano concertos, I've been meaning to pick up the complete Anda, as his recordings of the late concertos are my references. I compared a few other performers on Youtube - the highly rated Perahia seemed heavy and lethargic to me, not at all appropriate to Mozart. OTOH I was surprised that I really liked Uchida - the interpretations are actually quite close to Anda, except of course the piano phrasing is a bit more sensitive, and the sound is more hi-fi. So I expect to buy the Anda and Uchida boxes by the end of the year. (As Tate conducts for Uchida, I might have to consider him for the symphonies too.)

@Arcamera - Prokofiev symphonies: I think the Naxos versions conducted by Kuchar are great (much better than his overrated Nielsen), especially 2-4 & 6 - unfortunately some of the symphonies have bad sound, especially 5. There's a classic disc of Malko (a Russian) conducting 1 and 7, plus the Oranges suite. Temirkanov's recording of 5 is convincingly expansive. Rozhdestvensky's old Melodiya set is worth hearing if you can find it. Ashkenazy's 2cd set of 1 & 5-7 is very good too. Avoid Gergiev's heavy-handed and under-prepared versions.

Have any other Vaughan Williams fans ordered the 'new' cycle conducted by Rozhdestvensky? Prices at Amazon US are getting pretty high, but Amazon UK is still fairly reasonable (my copy is on its way).
http://www.amazon.com/Vaughan-Williams-Symphonies-Boris-Vasiliev/dp/B00JU5DGY8/

Jul 28, 2014 at 6:37 PM Post #2,037 of 9,368
Thanks @eyeresist I have added De Larrocha to my playlist, but enjoying Anda's Mozart Piano Concertos very much at the moment. I'd not heard either pianist play, which is great.

Was the above recording what you were referring to?

@jackskelly , I wasn't able to find your recommendation, but in my search I did find Sir Charles Mackerras and the Scottish Chamber's Marriage of Figaro. I was looking for a complete version anyway.

I kind of overdosed myself with Mozart over the weekend. But I did take a break with some Vivaldi I discovered by accident.

All the music on this recording is new to me, but the sound quality is remarkable, not to mention the music. 
So much great music, so little time.
smily_headphones1.gif
 - I love this thread 
beerchug.gif

Jul 28, 2014 at 8:40 PM Post #2,038 of 9,368
Thanks @eyeresist
 I have added De Larrocha to my playlist, but enjoying Anda's Mozart Piano Concertos very much at the moment. I'd not heard either pianist play, which is great.

Was the above recording what you were referring to?

No, I was referring to the complete concertos on Deutsche Grammophon (on 8 CDs). The recordings are from around the same time, but the performances are more Classical in style. I have individual issues of concertos 20-25.

Jul 28, 2014 at 9:05 PM Post #2,039 of 9,368
  I love Prokofiev and I think I'm in love with Janine Jansen... 
tongue.gif

The Sonata for violin and piano No1 on this recording is worth the price of admission. 

The Prokofiev violin concerto with her is on my pile of still to listen to CD's.

I started with her Four Seasons which I like quite a bit.
It's also a recording with a smaller ensemble than a full scale orchestra
- similar to my so far favorite by the Drottningholm Baroque Ensemble w. Nils-Erik Sparf on BIS.
http://www.amazon.com/Vivaldi-Four-Seasons-Antonio/dp/B0000016BD/ref=sr_1_10?s=music&ie=UTF8&qid=1406595834&sr=1-10&keywords=drottningholm+vivaldi

Users who are viewing this thread

Back