Best classical recordings...ever!
Aug 3, 2014 at 11:22 AM Post #2,056 of 9,368
  Although it seems funny to you, for me, classical music does represent the highest form of music..

Nothing comes close in expressing the huge range of unspeakable human emotions in a very direct way..

Well said. 

Getting back to soundtracks... I personally think it can be an important platform for serious composers. There have been many great soundtracks from the likes of Shostakovich, Prokofiev, Korngold and even Philip Glass (if that stuff floats your boat). The problem I have these days is that the majority of soundtrack composers do it for a living, and are not serious composers. So in that respect they churn out whatever the director or producers want. Great for the commercial success of the film and it's adverts, but on its own it will sound sickingly contrived to most classical music fans. Why? Because there will be no depth or structure, how can there be? When they have stolen ideas/elements like magpies from great works and mashed them together. Loud pounding timpani for fighting scenes, chugging strings for chases and ofcourse thick stringed minor key harmonies for the sad moments... Cynical? yes! Because it is what it is. And if anyone really appreciates that sort of thing then I don't believe that they will ever 'get' the great composers.  

Here's a good example of a well structured soundtrack and one that has clearly influenced every soundtrack that Shore and Zimmer have produced.

Aug 3, 2014 at 1:45 PM Post #2,057 of 9,368
  Although it seems funny to you, for me, classical music does represent the highest form of music..

Nothing comes close in expressing the huge range of unspeakable human emotions in a very direct way..

I think soundtrack or modern  music may match more the need of people :
- that have short attention span
- seeking  specific emotions (often soundtrack are designed to convey particular emotion, or atmospheres).
- that like synthetic sounds (and not all "synthetic" sounds are basic).
- or you just want something "energizing"  (techno)  or "soothing" (new age), or to express your anger (metal) etc...

Aug 3, 2014 at 2:34 PM Post #2,058 of 9,368
  I think soundtrack or modern  music may match more the need of people :
- that have short attention span
- seeking  specific emotions (often soundtrack are designed to convey particular emotion, or atmospheres).
- that like synthetic sounds (and not all "synthetic" sounds are basic).
- or you just want something "energizing"  (techno)  or "soothing" (new age), or to express your anger (metal) etc...

Everything has its place. There aren't many genres I won't listen to.

...but yes, (actual) classical is an acquired taste for many people. It usually isn't "in your face" in the way that modern music (including neoclassical) can be - but is almost always more exciting than ambient genres, which I also enjoy.

Aug 3, 2014 at 10:52 PM Post #2,061 of 9,368
Getting back to soundtracks... I personally think it can be an important platform for serious composers. There have been many great soundtracks from the likes of Shostakovich, Prokofiev, Korngold and even Philip Glass (if that stuff floats your boat). The problem I have these days is that the majority of soundtrack composers do it for a living, and are not serious composers. So in that respect they churn out whatever the director or producers want. Great for the commercial success of the film and it's adverts, but on its own it will sound sickingly contrived to most classical music fans. Why? Because there will be no depth or structure, how can there be? When they have stolen ideas/elements like magpies from great works and mashed them together. Loud pounding timpani for fighting scenes, chugging strings for chases and ofcourse thick stringed minor key harmonies for the sad moments... Cynical? yes! Because it is what it is. And if anyone really appreciates that sort of thing then I don't believe that they will ever 'get' the great composers.

Yes, the way soundtrack composers have to turn out hours of music on very short notice inevitably means a factory system and lots of shortcuts, i.e. extensive borrowing and use of generic elements. But if they get more time, and have the talent, the music is better, e.g. Polidouris's Starship Troopers soundtrack. And this doesn't mean some of them don't also try to write serious music - the only modern example I know of (admittedly not an area I have researched) is Eliot Goldenthal, who wrote the soundtrack for Alien 3 and has also written an opera. A very sad case is Roy Webb, who wrote music for most of Val Lewton's classic horror films; he also wrote concert music but all his manuscripts were destroyed when his house burned down.

Aug 4, 2014 at 7:40 AM Post #2,062 of 9,368
This is rather drifting off topic here ... why don't you open a "sound track music" thread
wink.gif
Cheers.

Aug 4, 2014 at 7:51 AM Post #2,063 of 9,368
I thought it was interesting. And that's not a bad idea. Frankly, a lot of classical was the soundtrack of its time. Moving on . . .

Aug 4, 2014 at 6:23 PM Post #2,064 of 9,368
Originally Posted by SunTanScanMan /img/forum/go_quote.gif
But I did take a break with some Vivaldi I discovered by accident.

All the music on this recording is new to me, but the sound quality is remarkable, not to mention the music. 
So much great music, so little time.
smily_headphones1.gif
 - I love this thread 
beerchug.gif

I am listening to this on spotify right now. I disagree with you: the sound quality is not remarkable, it is outstanding, even by Alia Vox standards! And, as always with Savall, the performance is just right. I ordered the CD on the spot, thanks for the tip!

Aug 5, 2014 at 7:54 AM Post #2,067 of 9,368
  I am listening to this on spotify right now. I disagree with you: the sound quality is not remarkable, it is outstanding, even by Alia Vox standards! And, as always with Savall, the performance is just right. I ordered the CD on the spot, thanks for the tip!

+1 here, listened to this on Amazon and scooped up a few more Savall recordings along the way.
Thanks for the tip, too !

Glad you're also enjoying it too! Makes a happy change for me after having requested so many recommendations from this thread 
beerchug.gif

I'd not been aware of Jordi Savall, so I've since been streaming through the numerous recordings on the Alia Vox label. I've enjoyed what I've listened to, and will (unless someone beats me to it) hopefully put up a recommendation once I become more familiar with them.

Aug 6, 2014 at 10:59 AM Post #2,068 of 9,368
FYI to all, I'd been waiting to find a used copy of Gerard Willems' Beethoven Collection, but just discovered the Australian Broadcasting Company has it nearly half off the regular price right now... For those of us in the US, that makes this 14-disc set right around 56 bucks shipped (50 AUD - 4.5 tax + 16 to ship, converted to USD), which is not bad at all. The 32 piano sonatas, the 3 early sonatas, the 5 concerti, the Diabellis, and a handful of other solo piano pieces all performed on intriguingly rich-sounding Australian pianos by Stuart. These aren't my favorite performances (hence why I wasn't biting at the normal price of the set), but they are by no means bad, and the sound of the piano coupled with the recording quality makes for some great listening. The set can be heard on Spotify, but if anyone is interested in snagging up the discs for about 4 bucks a pop, figured I'd give the ol' heads-up. 

Aug 7, 2014 at 3:25 AM Post #2,069 of 9,368
Two discs from Panufnik that come highly recommended and are a great introduction to his sound world. I find it hard to draw comparisons with his music that will be helpful for anyone who hasn't heard him, other than he was well travelled! Hints of Shostakovich, Vaughan Williams, Bartok can be heard but his economic style and rigid way of orchestrating is probably more Shostakovich. But he really does have his own ideals that seem unique to him. Often sharp contrasting sonorities can be heard in his symphonic works making use of percussion and solo instruments against a wall of stings. Almost like voices over the orchestra.   

This is the latest release (Vol 8) from cpo and has a lovely fresh recording of the Cello Concerto. (the previous was the devotee Rostropovich's classic performance)

This is a great introduction disc with fabulous sound. 

Aug 8, 2014 at 4:06 AM Post #2,070 of 9,368
Received new CDs today, and am currently listening to the Mozart quintets played by the Amadeus Q on DG. They have more appropriate character than Grumiaux (who I find bland), which is why I bought this set, but they are too often too fast in the slow mvts for my taste. I guess next up will be the old Fine Arts set (with Tursi on viola). $$$

Users who are viewing this thread

Back