Best classical recordings...ever!
Aug 1, 2014 at 2:10 PM Post #2,041 of 9,368
Anda and Perahia are the both fabulous for the Mozart Piano Concertos. They both have a similar ease and fluidity.

Aug 1, 2014 at 3:35 PM Post #2,042 of 9,368
just for anyone who hasn't heard this classic set.  Paavo Berglund- Bournemouth SO.   

2013 remastering ( originally recorded 1972-75 I think) and Sibelius conducting of the highest order. Every nuance of the score is clearly important to Paavo and the recording sounds as fresh as a modern one. Most importantly the 7th (my fave) is the best out there IMO.  He conducts very much like Karajan only with a little less romance but with the same attention to the finer details.   

Aug 1, 2014 at 3:53 PM Post #2,043 of 9,368
Jonathan Harvey-  Wagner Dream   

The late Jonathan Harvey's (died 2012) final opera (I believe) and one that you may enjoy. There's no getting away from the brilliant music involved as always with Harvey. He has been such an important modern composer with his use of electronics and still making them sound relevant without anything contrived. The subject matter and libretto will either annoy the hell out of you or make you laugh ha!   

http://www.fabermusic.com/resources/pdfs/FFAutumn2007.pdf

Aug 1, 2014 at 4:20 PM Post #2,044 of 9,368
And finally today..

Never forgetting the title of this thread, this comes highly recommended. 

Lutoslawski - Vocal works Edward Gardner

Edward Gardner's Lutoslawski on Chandos has been well received and most welcome to us who consider him a brilliant composer. This is the one that really stands out for me. 

Aug 2, 2014 at 1:39 PM Post #2,045 of 9,368
More Lutoslawski :) 

The old Naxos series is still the best reference for anyone looking to get into this remarkable composer. Antoni Wit is the perfect man for the job with the Polish National Radio Symphony Orchestra. Recorded sound is top notch from early 90's. 

This is as good a place to start as any

Aug 2, 2014 at 7:34 PM Post #2,047 of 9,368
Classical noob here. I'm looking for music similar to the Game of Thrones intro. I'm not sure if this is a sub genre of classical or what. Again I'm a classical noob. I recently downloaded "Rise of the Masters" albums that were mentioned on the first page and enjoyed them but I'm looking for more recent albums (within the last ~10 years or so). Thank you ahead of time for your input.

Aug 2, 2014 at 8:00 PM Post #2,048 of 9,368
Classical noob here. I'm looking for music similar to the Game of Thrones intro. I'm not sure if this is a sub genre of classical or what. Again I'm a classical noob. I recently downloaded "Rise of the Masters" albums that were mentioned on the first page and enjoyed them but I'm looking for more recent albums (within the last ~10 years or so). Thank you ahead of time for your input.

It may not be accurate at all, but I've nicknamed that style medieval neoclassical.
bigsmile_face.gif

A few weeks ago, I recommended some artists that are somewhat similar to what you are looking for, at least in a few of their songs.

Dargaard (neoclassical darkwave, dark ambient), Die Verbannten Kinder Evas (neoclassical darkwave, ambient), and Amethystium (ambient electronica, world, neoclassical darkwave) are worth checking out.

You may like these albums:

The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim Original Game Soundtrack

The Legend Of Zelda 25th Anniversary Special Orchestra CD

...I also have the Medieval Times Original Soundtrack.
tongue.gif

Aug 2, 2014 at 11:03 PM Post #2,049 of 9,368

It may not be accurate at all, but I've nicknamed that style medieval neoclassical.
bigsmile_face.gif

A few weeks ago, I recommended some artists that are somewhat similar to what you are looking for, at least in a few of their songs.

You may like these albums:

The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim Original Game Soundtrack

The Legend Of Zelda 25th Anniversary Special Orchestra CD

...I also have the Medieval Times Original Soundtrack.
tongue.gif

Oh sweet thanks!  Sorry I hadn't gotten that far through this thread yet.

Aug 3, 2014 at 12:18 AM Post #2,050 of 9,368
That is film soundtrack and new age/easy listening, not classical.

Aug 3, 2014 at 3:07 AM Post #2,052 of 9,368
Prog rock was my gateway drug. I'm glad I got off that stuff. It is AWFUL.

Aug 3, 2014 at 4:44 AM Post #2,053 of 9,368
  Prog rock was my gateway drug. I'm glad I got off that stuff. It is AWFUL.

All musical genre are awful if you don't have the right mind / mood for it.
It makes a bit laugh though, when I  see people speaking here of classical as if it was the highest form of music.
By the way I've studied a bit stats at last.fm, and it seems that the classical genre has a poor replay value : people listen once to a piece of music, then they look to something else.
It's  not like for some soundtrack, where people are more easily  addicted (especially anime soundtracks, they have lot of success).

Aug 3, 2014 at 5:36 AM Post #2,055 of 9,368
  All musical genre are awful if you don't have the right mind / mood for it.
It makes a bit laugh though, when I  see people speaking here of classical as if it was the highest form of music.
By the way I've studied a bit stats at last.fm, and it seems that the classical genre has a poor replay value : people listen once to a piece of music, then they look to something else.
It's  not like for some soundtrack, where people are more easily  addicted (especially anime soundtracks, they have lot of success).

Although it seems funny to you, for me, classical music does represent the highest form of music..

Nothing comes close in expressing the huge range of unspeakable human emotions in a very direct way..

Users who are viewing this thread

Back