Best classical recordings...ever!
Jul 25, 2014 at 4:39 PM Post #2,011 of 9,368
My recommendation today is..

And the music is as attractive as the cover... 

Seriously, this is a lovely recording of what is best of English classical music. Gorgeous atmospherics depicting nature and folk song bla bla bla.. Stereotypical no doubt. But also sublime.

Don't think there is a piece by Moeran that I haven't liked.     

Jul 25, 2014 at 4:39 PM Post #2,012 of 9,368
A friend called me up and said, "You know those Bach discs you recommended? Let me ask you something: Does this guy hum or something? I'm hearing some sort of noise, and I think it might be coming from the speakers. I've looked all around the house--"

"Yeah, he hums all the time."

"Oh, thank God! I thought might be going crazy."

Jul 25, 2014 at 4:48 PM Post #2,013 of 9,368
Being in Canada and listening to the CBC it was always "...Glenn Gould blah blah blah ...". I had never really listened to him so I wondered what all the fuss was about. Then I heard his 1955 Goldberg Variations and I said to myself "Ok, now I get it!". I now have 382 Gould pieces in my iTunes. His expressiveness is unmatched, other piano performances sounds mechanical to me in comparison.

Jul 25, 2014 at 5:04 PM Post #2,014 of 9,368
There are a lot of good older versions of individual sonatas you might enjoy, including one by Gould.

K. 310 Lipatti live 1950
K. 330 Gould 1st recording 1958
K. 331 Horowitz live 1966
K. 332 Schnabel 1946

More recent records include individual sonatas by Richard Goode and Murray Perahia. Anything by Andras Schiff is probably decent too.

The best (or least worst) performances I've found on fortepiano are by Jos van Immerseel.

check out Andreas Staier's recordings (there is a double HM Gold CD which contains K330-332 among others). You may even change your mind about Mozart on fortepiano...

Jul 25, 2014 at 5:12 PM Post #2,015 of 9,368
check out Andreas Staier's recordings (there is a double HM Gold CD which contains K330-332 among others). You may even change your mind about Mozart on fortepiano...

I have them, but prefer van Immerseel.

Jul 25, 2014 at 5:17 PM Post #2,016 of 9,368

You might like Christoph Eschenbach as well 
wink_face.gif

+1

Jul 25, 2014 at 6:10 PM Post #2,017 of 9,368
  My recommendation today is..

And the music is as attractive as the cover... 

Seriously, this is a lovely recording of what is best of English classical music. Gorgeous atmospherics depicting nature and folk song bla bla bla.. Stereotypical no doubt. But also sublime.

Don't think there is a piece by Moeran that I haven't liked.     

Yes! Love EJ Moeran, and Vernon Handley. British music on Chandos (and conducted by Handley ideally) is some of my fave music...

On another note, anyone here have a top pick for the complete Prokofiev symphonies? I've been enjoying the Weller with the London Phil, and soon will be getting to know Neeme Jarvi's rendition with the Royal Scots...

Jul 25, 2014 at 6:34 PM Post #2,018 of 9,368

Yes! Love EJ Moeran, and Vernon Handley. British music on Chandos (and conducted by Handley ideally) is some of my fave music...

On another note, anyone here have a top pick for the complete Prokofiev symphonies? I've been enjoying the Weller with the London Phil, and soon will be getting to know Neeme Jarvi's rendition with the Royal Scots...

This is the one bud 

http://www.amazon.com/Prokofiev-S-Symphonies-Dmitri-Kitaenko/dp/B003HBFSEM

Jul 25, 2014 at 6:34 PM Post #2,019 of 9,368
A friend called me up and said, "You know those Bach discs you recommended? Let me ask you something: Does this guy hum or something? I'm hearing some sort of noise, and I think it might be coming from the speakers. I've looked all around the house--"

Were you tempted at all to deny the existence of hums in the recording? 
tongue_smile.gif

Jul 25, 2014 at 8:08 PM Post #2,021 of 9,368
Nobody mention the squeaky chair!

Jul 25, 2014 at 8:08 PM Post #2,022 of 9,368

ROFL
biggrin.gif

Your friend might as well enjoy Keith J.  ... or go completely crazy
wink.gif

Jul 26, 2014 at 5:26 AM Post #2,023 of 9,368
  Nobody mention the squeaky chair!

haha

Gould's humming and refusal to use WD40 I can cope with..

But Arrau's breathing... That took me a long time  
rolleyes.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back