Best Circumaural and In-Ear Headphones for Rock- want low, mid and high to be reproduced accurately as it would be Live
Mar 14, 2013 at 3:23 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

Atner

New Head-Fier
I have been searching the forums and have been unable to come to any certain conclusions.  It seems a lot of people say certain headphones would be good for a certain type of music and then I read a statement that is either contradictory or leads me to believe the other persons opinion would not be my own.

I am looking for Closed Circumaural Headphones Under $100 dollars that will accurately reproduce the sound as it was recorded and as the artist intended it to sound.  I am also looking for decent In-Ear Headphones under $50 that fit the same description.  I am going to be getting both in the near future.

I do not want excessive bass or excessive mid and hi's with no bass.  Ideally it would sound as if a vocalist, drummer on a drumset, guitarist and bassist set up their amps and started playing with good gear and recorded without too much EQ (obviously I know the way it was recorded makes a difference).  Basically I want it to sound natural without changing the levels to suit personal needs for more bass or mid or hi and so on.  

It seems like a lot of people that listen to rock want excessive bass but I would prefer to be able to hear highs and mids without bass drowning everything out.  At the same time I want the kick drum and toms to sound as punchy as they would live and the bass guitar to sound as deep and growling as it would live.  I know I am becoming somewhat repetitive and overly particular, but after reading other forum posts I feel like I need to be to get an accurate answer.  

Everyone seems to recommend Grado for rock music, but I am not sure if it is meant for the bass loving rockers or the ones that want an accurate reproduction of the music.  Also Grados appear to be a bit small to where they wouldn't go around the entire ear, but rather sit on top of it, which in my experience leads to ear pain.  I've been looking at almost every model of Sennheiser, Sony, Monster, Audio-Technica, Shure, AKG, Grado, Panasonic, but even the brand descriptions seem to be vague and add no clarity to the subject.  I don't want to spend 50 to 100 dollars on something that I will find vocals, mids, etc. are lost in the mix.  

I listen to pretty much any genre of rock.  Some favorites are Zeppelin, Sabbath, Chili Peppers, GnR, Alice in Chains, Nirvana, NIN, Queens of the Stone Age, Free, Bad Company, Radiohead, Metallica, Outlaws, Marshall Tucker Band, Rush, Bonamassa, Muse, Rage Aganst the Machine, Bush, Cream, Etc.  Anywhere from Blues to Metal basically.  It is uncommon for me to listen to anything but rock, but will occasionally listen to electronic music.  

I apologize if this post has become excessive and a bother to read.  I'm just trying to be as descriptive as possible in order to ease the process of narrowing it down.  I can be quite indecisive because I know that if I make a noticeably poor decision I will regret it every time I use whatever said item is.  I have already spent about 6 hours trying to determine the right headphones.  I am also in the market for in-ear phones as well so would take any recommendations that fit my descriptions for those as well.  If some people could help me find an appropriate solution for both, I would be very grateful.

Mar 14, 2013 at 8:20 AM Post #2 of 7
Heya,

Take a look at:

KRK KNS 6400
AKG K271 MKII
Gemini DJ HSR 1000
Sony MDR7506
CAD Audio MH310
Brainwavz HM5

Dunno about IEM's. Frankly getting closed headphones and IEM's seems like spreading it too thin. I'd just get a very good headphone or a very good IEM instead of an average of both.

Very best,

Mar 14, 2013 at 2:05 PM Post #3 of 7
Shure SRH 440 with SRH840 earpads.

You can also look into Sennheiser HD280 or even the Philips Citiscape Uptown which sometimes go as low as $80 and even $60-70 a few times.

Quote:

I have already spent about 6 hours trying to determine the right headphones.

As for the "right headphones", well, don't expect to find the "perfect" headphones if that's what you are referring to because as of now, I haven't found it :wink: ... almost though... almost :p

Good Luck

Mar 15, 2013 at 3:50 PM Post #5 of 7
So I've looked, and some of those that are recommended are designed with monitoring as a use.  In my experience monitor speakers and headphones can be very focused on mids and highs, leaving the bass drowned out.  Are these models mentioned equally focused on all frequencies?  In the past I had been looking around considering monitor headphones as an option but end up staying away from them for the aforementioned reason.  Again, I don't need the bass to be thumping, but I still want to hear it just as much as the other frequencies.  Thanks.

Mar 20, 2013 at 6:01 AM Post #6 of 7
So I went to Guitar Center and tested out some headphones.  All of the headphones were new and listened to right out of the box.  The only option I had was to plug into my Samsung Galaxy S II.  I understand that my phones capabilities will not give the best results for any headphone, but it was the only option at the time.  

I do not have much experience in reviewing headphones in comparison to each other and some audio terms are still somewhat unclear to me. However I am a musician and believe that I understand the frequencies themselves. Another thing is that I often listen to music quite loud.  Not all the time, but if a powerful solo (such as Slas h in Slither), nice fill, nice transition, etc comes up, in the moment I like like to crank it to near earpiercing levels.  Only to realize a few seconds following, that it is at an uncomfortable level and I need to return to the pre-emotional setting.  With this in mind, none of the headphones could reach this level using just my Galaxy S II.  At the same time I am sure the volume levels would be fine for most people.  I listen to music louder than almost anyone I know.  Only drunk friends that are over at 3am seem to enjoy music at levels higher than me.  The 2 primary songs I used to analyze were SW4 by Pryda and Assassin by Muse.  I have changed my price range from $100 to somewhere around or below $200 Anyways the results are as follows:

Shure SRH840 44ohms
Seemed to be clear and detailed yet the music felt very impersonal.  Almost like the music was coming through the door from the next room, which I assume would be considered lack of presence.  While I'm not a huge bass junky, they seemed to be quite light in the bass department.  Again it is detailed but it seemed to be very thin.  If a band or DJ were to set up all their gear and start going at it right there there would be a great deal more bass and low end.  Really just a complete lack in anything resembling power and fullness throughout all ranges.  If I was going to pick a headphone based purely on clarity, I would probably pick this one.  These and the Sennheiser were very close in overall sound.  The major differences being the somewhat artificial sound of the Sennheisers and the lack of presence of these.

Beyerdynamic DT770 Pro 80ohms
Mids and highs seemed to be accurate and full with good presence.  The bass and lows were ridiculous and boomy sounding with absolutely no clarity or detail in the bass.  Almost seems it was meant to be more seismic than audible.  The bass lost all of its natural tonal qualities and every bass note just became the same ear rumbling boom as every other note.  This being said, these were out of the box.  One of the clerks said that he did a 6 week burn in and the bass became more tamed and detailed.  He mentioned really grooving when he was listening to Lateralus by Tool on them.  For me, the excessive bass without any detail would be unacceptable for any type of music including bassy electronic music.  I won't claim to have any idea what rap and hip hop listeners would enjoy.  I was quite disappointed particularly in these headphones.  Prior to hearing any and just based on research, I had almost purchased these and was almost rooting for them.  They were the biggest letdown.  I was prepared for some bigger bass but not the lack of detail.

Sennheiser HD380 PRO 54ohms
Seemed reasonably accurate throughout the range, with one exception.  The high-mids  seemed to sound very artificial.  I feel like tinny would be a pretty good analogy for the sound I was getting.  It basically sounded as if that frequency was coming through a tin can, albeit a very large tin can.  For a better example of the frequency I'm talking about it is the highest guitar notes going on in the section of Assassin after the intro when the drums come in.  Other than that the rest of the sound seemed to be pretty detailed, full and accurate.  While the bass is not overpowering, I would consider it to be full-bodied, punchy and detailed.  I know some people that want heavy bass with electronic would most likely be disappointed in that aspect.  Overall, I would not be able to live with the tinny sound.

Audio-Technica ATH-M50 38ohms
I was not sure what to think based on the reviews I had read on Head-Fi.  It seems many people like the M50 and it seems many think it is vastly overrated.  I found it of all the headphones I tested to be the most true sonically.  This is the headphone that sounded made everything sound as if the band or DJ were there right in front of me the most.  The bass while definitely not light, was not as overpowering as I had expected it to be based on some peoples reviews.  I found it to be a pretty natural sounding low end.  Punchy and full-bodied, only lacking a bit in the detail department, but nothing serious like the DT770.  The mids and highs seemed to be pretty full true to life. and had the best presence of all the headphones tested as well.  Definitely the most powerful sounding throughout the EQ range.  It did seem to lack the detail in the middle to upper range a bit compared to the others, however at the same time it still seemed to have the most lifelike sound.  Overall these headphones seemed to be great at all of the frequencies.  If I were to pick one to listen to for the purpose of musical enjoyment I would definitely pick these out of the ones tested.

All of this being said...

Again I was only listening through my Galaxy S II.  Had I further amped these or listened from a better source, I'm sure they all would have sounded much better, possibly even changing my mind some of the reviews.  

So now if anyone understood what I was trying to say in each of these reviews, I had a few more questions.
1. Having liked the M50, would the A900x be a linear upgrade in all areas while keeping the dynamic the same? Basically would it sound the same except with more clarity?
2. Would the Brainwavz HM5 have a similar sound? Better or worse in what areas?  Do they still make the HM5, since I cant seem to find a new one being sold?  If not, is the NVX XPT100 essentially the exact same headphone?
The reason I ask is because it seemed like from what I can remember of other reviews, they were pretty similar and the Brainwavz/NVX has detachable cables, which I would much prefer.
3. Are there any other linear upgrades that keep the dynamic yet add clarity to what would be the M50's sound? I would prefer detachable cables, but it is not a must.

I would appreciate any feedback that is offered and sorry if the post became confusing.  Thanks.

Mar 20, 2013 at 6:27 AM Post #7 of 7
Haven't read the hole thread, but in a hurry I'd recommend the etymotic HF5

Users who are viewing this thread

Back