CHIFI LOVE Thread-A never ending IEM-Heaphones-DAP-Dongles Sound Value Quest
Oct 8, 2020 at 6:47 PM Post #26,102 of 31,833
if you don't mind me asking, what do you use as a source device for your earphones? if you have a constant hiss on every headphones/earphones that you tried, i think the problem is the source's amp.. might want to invest on that instead? you might be surprised that your older earphones turned out to be just fine and that you actually like what you already have. if you're using phones or computers, might i suggest some bluetooth dongles like the ES100, BTR5, Qudelix 5k, etc, or going the USB dongle route

I answer yes, of course. I usually use headphones on the phone or notebook. But the hiss that I say, is when the music has many instruments playing together.

So, sometimes I thought about buying an amplifier, but I always left it aside.

And so, the idea of having a headphone with a detailed signature, is because I never heard a headphone like that. (And I thought I would have a neutral headphone, deducing that it would play the frequencies of the sounds closest to the audio/music recording).

Thank you for the tips.

Oct 8, 2020 at 6:55 PM Post #26,103 of 31,833
I answer yes, of course. I usually use headphones on the phone or notebook. But the hiss that I say, is when the music has many instruments playing together.

And so, the idea of having a headphone with a detailed signature, is because I never heard a headphone like that. (And I thought I would have a neutral headphone, deducing that it would play the frequencies of the sounds closest to the audio/music recording).

Thank you for the tips.

I'm not sure a Tin T2 and a Radsone ES100 or similar amp/dac wouldn't be a better fit for your needs than a more expensive IEM...

Oct 8, 2020 at 11:40 PM Post #26,105 of 31,833

Thank you for the tips.

a neutral headphones/earphones definitely a great gear to have, even if one doesn't particularly like the sound, at least as a reference. i personally love neutral tunings, as it reminds me of mixing speakers, and i often come back to them after a period of listening to other sound signature, just to reset my ears.

some neutral tunings i most like is the MT100 (sorry, can't mention the brand on this forum) and Audio Technica R70X. i havent found ones below 100usd though..

Oct 9, 2020 at 12:14 AM Post #26,106 of 31,833
Hello I am looking for some new iems since my current ones(Cambridge Audio SE-1s) are losing sound in one ear. My price range is $10-$20 but I could possibly go up to $30 (but I would prefer not to if possible) and would highly prefer it to be available on amazon since I have gift cards and I would get it much faster than if I bought them off aliexpress, but if necessary im open to buying off aliexpress and such.

I would also like for it to be able to be worn straight down(though I honestly havent given over-ears a chance really so maybe I can be persuaded if the deal is good enough). Music I listen to tends to stuff like rap, jpop, kpop, classical, and really any genre. If it has a inline mic with controls that would be nice but I can live without it if necessary if the iems have better build quality, sound quality, or accessories than an iem with a inline mic/controls.

Last edited:
Oct 9, 2020 at 2:20 AM Post #26,107 of 31,833
Hello I am looking for some new iems since my current ones(Cambridge Audio SE-1s) are losing sound in one ear. My price range is $10-$20 but I could possibly go up to $30 (but I would prefer not to if possible) and would highly prefer it to be available on amazon since I have gift cards and I would get it much faster than if I bought them off aliexpress, but if necessary im open to buying off aliexpress and such.

I would also like for it to be able to be worn straight down(though I honestly havent given over-ears a chance really so maybe I can be persuaded if the deal is good enough). Music I listen to tends to stuff like rap, jpop, kpop, classical, and really any genre. If it has a inline mic with controls that would be nice but I can live without it if necessary if the iems have better build quality, sound quality, or accessories than an iem with a inline mic/controls.

If u can top up another $10 or so, do consider the Final Audio E3000. It has non detachable cables (worn cable down). Mild V shaped set, though it needs amping to scale better, so playing it from a low powered smart phone won't do the sound justice. Standout points are the good imaging and soundstage at the sub $50 region, sublime mids and non fatiguing smooth signature.

Pros of Final Audio E3000:
Light and comfortable.
Superb imaging and instrument separation at sub $50 price point.
Excellent soundstage.
Natural timbre.
Non fatiguing.
Balanced and sublime mids.
Comes with Final type E (black) tips! (ironically these black Final E tips are not a good pairing with this set, as they may muddy the Final Audio E3000’s treble actually).

Cons of Final Audio E3000:
Noodle thin, non detachable, microphonic cable.
Requires a powerful source to shine.
Poor isolation.
Midbass on the slow/nebulous side, with lack in subbass extension.
Rolled off treble, not the most detailed treble (may be a pro or con depending on your treble sensitivity levels).

Another option is to get the BLON BL-03 and cut the plastic earhook guides off the stock cable and wear it cable down (you will need to swap the earpieces from L to R and vice versa). BLON BL-03 has excellent timbre and tonality, but isn't the best in technicalities, and has a midbass bloat.

Oct 9, 2020 at 7:34 AM Post #26,108 of 31,833
Another option is to get the BLON BL-03 and cut the plastic earhook guides off the stock cable and wear it cable down (you will need to swap the earpieces from L to R and vice versa). BLON BL-03 has excellent timbre and tonality, but isn't the best in technicalities, and has a midbass bloat.

They have bass bloat in general imo, just a bit flabby around the edges which is a shame as they'd be unreal if they tightened up the sound.

I came here to ask for some tip recommendations for them. I've tried large tips, double flanges (they were not very long ones, nozzle inserted into the second flange) and am currently using medium reversed stock blon tips. I had a quick search but didn't find what i was looking for. They're pretty comfortable but my right ear doesn't like something, left is generally fine. Am Caucasian but have smallish ears.

Something with a medium width nozel? i found wides to loosen up the bass even more on these.

Oct 9, 2020 at 7:35 AM Post #26,109 of 31,833
They have bass bloat in general imo, just a bit flabby around the edges which is a shame as they'd be unreal if they tightened up the sound.

I came here to ask for some tip recommendations for them. I've tried large tips, double flanges (they were not very long ones, nozzle inserted into the second flange) and am currently using medium reversed stock blon tips. I had a quick search but didn't find what i was looking for. They're pretty comfortable but my right ear doesn't like something, left is generally fine. Am Caucasian but have smallish ears.

Something with a medium width nozel? i found wides to loosen up the bass even more on these.
You should try slaters mesh mod then, tightens up the bass and gives it more detail (by adding a little bit treble quantity).

Oct 10, 2020 at 9:45 PM Post #26,114 of 31,833
Wrote a small review here about the HZSound Heart Mirror: https://www.head-fi.org/showcase/hzsound-heart-mirror.24597/reviews#item-review-24478

I prefer the HZSound Heart Mirror much more than the Moondrop SSR. The 3 kHz spike and sibilance is a deal breaker for me on the SSR when used at higher volumes (comparisons below).

The HZSound Heart Mirror has a neutralish bright tuning which is very well done. The uppermids/lower treble manages to be forward and is good for vocals, but it balances a fine line between being harsh and having forward vocals. Many CHIFI boost this area too much and it ends up being too shouty, but I didn't find it on the HZSound Heart Mirror frequently, maybe only in poorly recorded material or when the volume is played too loud (Fletcher Munson curve).

It has very good technicalities and has fast transients. I'm a basshead and I think the best compliment I can give this neutralish bright set is that I use it weekly despite the lack of bass.
It needs amping though, sounds pretty meh from a smartphone, and due to the lean and brighter signature, it pairs better with warm sources. Note weight is thin too, would have preferred more meat on the bones. Soundstage also not classleading, but it opens up a bit with amping.

Pros
Beautiful shell. Light and comfortable. Good build.
Fast transients.
Good details, clarity, imaging, instrument separation for a budget single DD.
Neutral bright tuning with very few instances of hot upper mids/lower treble.
Very good timbre for vocals and acoustic instruments. Good for vocal lovers.
Good price to performance ratio.
Generous accessories.

Cons:
Shells are fingerprint magnets, can be scratched too.
Bass lite, lacks midbass punch (good news is that it takes to bass EQ well).
Average soundstage height/depth when not amped.
Will need amping to perform optimally.
Thin note weight.

HZSound Heart mirror vs Moondrop SSR:

The Moondrop SSR is tuned somewhat diffuse-field neutral with an upper mids boost. Both sets have good technical performance for a single DD set, maybe the Moondrop SSR edges it slightly in clarity, details and imaging. Timbre for acoustic instruments is very good in both sets. The Moondrop SSR has quite bad sibilance and a thinner note weight compared to the HZSound Heart Mirror. Isolation is better on the HZSound Heart Mirror.

The Moondrop SSR actually sounds nice at low volumes, but by pumping up the volume a few dB, the 3 kHz area is shouty and is too much for me (Fletcher Munson Curve). The Moondrop SSR has very polarizing reviews, and I think this may be due to the different volumes all of us are using it at, and volume levels are typically not mentioned by reviewers or consumers. Not to mention the different sources, tips, hearing health we all have may affect our perception of upper mids/treble in the Moondrop SSR. After doing A/B testing using the same source, tips (and even cable), I’ll take the HZSound Heart Mirror any day over the Moondrop SSR, as the 3 kHz peak and the sibilance on the SSR is a deal breaker for me.

Different strokes for different folks though, I know a lot of our friends like the Moondrop SSR, especially those that use it at lower volumes. The Moondrop SSR actually has better technical performance than the HZSound Heart Mirror, but unfortunately it isn’t my cup of tea in terms of tonality.

Got my Shozy V33 and Heart Mirror at the same time. You couldn't get two different signatures if you tried lol. V33 is lush, musical but slightly thick and congested, the Heart is open, brighter and much more detailed. As we're chatting about the Heart Mirror tho... I really like it.

My normal preference is to stay away from bright thinner sounding IEMs, but as Baskingshark says, it is really well done. Funnily enough, I preferred it from my FIIO M6 which is pretty flat and made them sound very open and airy. Detail levels are very good at this price point, micro details from upper mids especially coming thru. It reminds me of an AKG type tuning. Brighter upper mids for detail, enough body so as they're not too thin and bass which although isn't weighted, is still very fast and has good resolution. I tried some Carpenters, and Karen's vocals came thru beautifully and avoided sibilance in songs that many earphones struggle to contain... which I wasn't expecting.

I should add I've had around an hour listening with them, so give it a day or two and I'll be able to give a better opinion and description... but tbf, I think Baskingshark reviewed them very accurately to what I hear and I'd be very surprised if I didn't recommend them, especially at £30-35. I thought from the pics they were going to be bigger, similar to their near-twin the KXXS, but they're considerably smaller and lighter in comparison.

I think I'll try comparing them with the Final e3000, cca c12 and akg n20.

Last edited:
Oct 10, 2020 at 11:10 PM Post #26,115 of 31,833
Could you tell me the specifications of those o-rings or even which ones you bought?

i bought a box of multiple sized O rings, and usually use the 4.5x2mm or the 5x2mm size
karet-o-ring-rubber-tightening-225pcs-black-2.jpg

the 4x1mm also useful for IEM nozzles

Users who are viewing this thread

Back