CHIFI LOVE Thread-A never ending IEM-Heaphones-DAP-Dongles Sound Value Quest
May 27, 2021 at 6:23 PM Post #28,232 of 31,833

DT100 uses a side firing knowles BA, similar to the ones used by Sony. More driver does not equal better sound, its all up to the tuning. But guess thats beyond your knowledge.

I literally had the T2 way before I even got my graphing tools, but no. Of course I didnt listen to something I actually paid for and went straight to looking at the non-existent graphs that were available back then.
OK. INDEED IM BACK ON HEADFI HOURRAY! Doooominaaaatioooon of Influencer Credibility most be bally, more bite, more conter-react...cool man but:
You didnt even answer the question....
I'm obsess about All Knowles BA tech. Included single vented sub for bass, apart from the rest...and more BA doesn't equal better sound is indeed a fact....for beyond 2 BA. Everything KZ, TRN, CAA suck and this thread exist since years dude lol people including me repeat this for years. Thanks for reminding me this.

Last edited by a moderator:
May 27, 2021 at 6:38 PM Post #28,233 of 31,833
I have U4 from HiSenior, T2 with the TWFK added, and I asked for as less dampened treble as possible.

The treble is polite (at least to my favourite KZs :)); the bass is there, but definitely not for bassheads and even occassional bass lovers. But then the mids are the stars: crisp, sublime -29689 at their best.
Curiously, I do not grab them often for listening: from the treble affection I now explore more bass in the U/V signatures.

Etymotic put double bass BAs in their Evo perhaps for a reason.
YES. Happy to know you love them. Mids are something uniquely clean with the T2U. I do a simple mod with filter directly on 22955 Knowles low-mid ba (with stock filter off) and do like the result. The sublime 29689 is now filter free too:wink:
186134201_10157582766036581_4861202529649782097_n.jpg
185909531_10157582765786581_2759709868241681384_n.jpg

186453577_10157582766366581_4067376464647415756_n.jpg

May 27, 2021 at 7:34 PM Post #28,234 of 31,833
I will do a MAJOR UPDATE of the WHOLE Best SUB-100$ IEM LIST.

Any suggestion please shoot.

PS: Time have change, their will not have a lot of KZ, CCA, TRN etc...unless under 15$.

May 28, 2021 at 7:48 AM Post #28,236 of 31,833
Being an audiophile isn't about the price of the gear you own. Its about being enthusiastic about audio enough to willingly do through research/demoing/reading about audio in your free time in the quest for better sound. Thats what its about to me.

A millionaire who drops $55K on an Orpheus 2 isn't an audiophile, he's just rich.

May 28, 2021 at 8:38 AM Post #28,237 of 31,833
Being an audiophile isn't about the price of the gear you own. Its about being enthusiastic about audio enough to willingly do through research/demoing/reading about audio in your free time in the quest for better sound. Thats what its about to me.

A millionaire who drops $55K on an Orpheus 2 isn't an audiophile, he's just rich.
audiophile has little to do with price and quality. it's about being obsessed with audio, especially the gear. a real audiophile is obsessed about attaining gear whatever that entails but in the end the audiophile listens to the hardware and less the music. I do it to an extent but it's hard not to when the hardware is part of the transport to your ears. part of the reason we congregrate at head fi. to make the most of our purchases no matter our budget. If chi-fi was as bad as some make it out to be I think china would've been laughed out of the market regardless of price. nonetheless, I am appreciative of other audiophiles as their ears help us make our choices. I like to make fun of audiophiles occasionally. Like I would make Zeos embarassed.

May 28, 2021 at 11:24 AM Post #28,238 of 31,833
I have U4 from HiSenior, T2 with the TWFK added, and I asked for as less dampened treble as possible.

The treble is polite (at least to my favourite KZs :)); the bass is there, but definitely not for bassheads and even occassional bass lovers. But then the mids are the stars: crisp, sublime -29689 at their best.
Curiously, I do not grab them often for listening: from the treble affection I now explore more bass in the U/V signatures.

Etymotic put double bass BAs in their Evo perhaps for a reason.
I had the U4 briefly and found them to be veiled and a bit boring but otherwise nice.

May 28, 2021 at 11:28 AM Post #28,239 of 31,833
I will do a MAJOR UPDATE of the WHOLE Best SUB-100$ IEM LIST.

Any suggestion please shoot.

PS: Time have change, their will not have a lot of KZ, CCA, TRN etc...unless under 15$.
Assuming you have tried the Aria 2? I tried it recently and quite surprised by the price to performance.

May 28, 2021 at 11:29 AM Post #28,240 of 31,833
You threw all your credibility out the window with EVERYTHING KZ, TRN, CCA sucks. Glad you speak for everybody's ears. Do you even know what audiophile actually means? Many of us are fine with our wannabe audiophile budgets. I could go on but I would be wasting my time because ANYBODY that thinks their opinion speaks for EVERYBODY is not worth the effort.

<puts KZ ZSX back in my ears>
Calm down mate....its just that i need to make a MORE SELECTIVE LIST. Why? Cause otherwise it will not only include EXCEPTIONAL IEM. There to much of them! The list is very old and include lot of IEM that doesnt even exist anymore. I say time has change in the sens competition is higher. I never say i speak for everybody, i mean...NBBA facebook group I create is all about diversity of thoughts(and audio impressions cause yes, thats partly subjective too), not gurus or hyper thing. If any exceptional offering of these companies appears, i will not snob them. I like EDX. It will be in the list as well as VK4, MT1, MH750 etc. But any hybrid that sound unbalanced, overly sibilant or agressive will not be in the list. Kbear Lark and KB04 might be in the list too. I try to be even mroe critical than before cause....wel my ears have evolve after all these years of Chifi obsession. I think at they end it will be beneficial to have less choices (youll see, their will still be PLENTY!)

If i speak for everyone...why would I ask for suggestions then?

May 28, 2021 at 11:31 AM Post #28,241 of 31,833
Assuming you have tried the Aria 2? I tried it recently and quite surprised by the price to performance.
Im about to try it soon. Pretty confident it will be in the list. I trust the positive impressions i read from non-hyper reviewers.
Only thing that scare me a bit is that some say vocal are less good than Starfield but all the rest is....what your thoughs about female vocal presence and timbre??

May 28, 2021 at 11:36 AM Post #28,242 of 31,833
By the way, this isnt IEM....but its less than 20$ and can change your audiophile life if you only own a crappy phone (well, its even better than my LG V30).
JCALLY JM20 Dongle DAC review is now up on headfi. Grab it while it last cause it sell like hot cake already. Its use CS43131 like the Tempotec HD PRO and cost between 10-20$ depending where you life (i cant order from shoppee so i got mine from Aliex)
https://www.head-fi.org/showcase/jcally-jm20.25183/reviews#review-25957

May 28, 2021 at 12:21 PM Post #28,243 of 31,833
Calm down mate....its just that i need to make a MORE SELECTIVE LIST. Why? Cause otherwise it will not only include EXCEPTIONAL IEM. There to much of them! The list is very old and include lot of IEM that doesnt even exist anymore. I say time has change in the sens competition is higher. I never say i speak for everybody, i mean...NBBA facebook group I create is all about diversity of thoughts(and audio impressions cause yes, thats partly subjective too), not gurus or hyper thing. If any exceptional offering of these companies appears, i will not snob them. I like EDX. It will be in the list as well as VK4, MT1, MH750 etc. But any hybrid that sound unbalanced, overly sibilant or agressive will not be in the list. Kbear Lark and KB04 might be in the list too. I try to be even mroe critical than before cause....wel my ears have evolve after all these years of Chifi obsession. I think at they end it will be beneficial to have less choices (youll see, their will still be PLENTY!)

If you're more open minded why don't you ask the mod to start a new thread. You could link to some of the more modern reviews rather than copy pasting random comments from reviews. I for one, was disenchanted by the list realizing it was old about 5 minutes in. Lots of non existent clutter.

As a suggestion include the brands you perceive as lesser because I am quite sure many people appreciate how good ear speakers have gotten for under $100. For some of the more expensive stuff ($200? maybe) highlight the gear people would take the time to buy used. There are lots of good choices $100 and above but as I don't make $90k anymore anything more expensive than $50 for me probably doesn't leave the house often except extended trips.

I also can see stuck up nose for the smaller chi-fi companies. It seems like they come out with a new IEM or bud every week. The thing is some of their mud is sticking to the wall. And not to get too political here but to shore up my point for some national economies, $50 IEMs are a luxury for many folks right now, especially in the US. These brands can have a revolving top 5 that gets updated every 3-4 months, or sooner. I for one like finding these mini reviews in threads like these. Now that I own a few ear pieces, I choose my poison depending on my ear appetite for the day or session. Like for almost 2 days I almost started to regret the $40 spent on blon 03s. Then I used a rap playlist and my attitude totally changed. The quantity and quality of bass for heavier bass genres of music minus the in your vocals. For $40 these are portable now, meaning they can leave the house. I now have 4 choices that can leave the house out about 10. People want to know these little details in the random mini reviews.

I also am 45 and recently got diagnosed with autism so now not having $90k to shop with and now knowing why I didn't listen to portable as often as home audio was sensory processing disorder with a highlight on my ears and sound and circumstances. Anyways, my two pennies rubbed together.

Last edited:
May 28, 2021 at 12:34 PM Post #28,244 of 31,833
Muddyness? Well, continue to listen with your eye and pinea gain concept...T2U is open, airy, punchy and crisp in imaging...all people that i make them listen too (fan of TOTL gear) was blown away, some prefering it over Blessing2....but they were listen with their ears and werent reviewers....by the way have you listen to it or you just base it on graph???
That T2U chart does remind me of Anole VX and much darker Mangird Tea, I like both Gain spot hitter like Blessing2 sisters, Softears RSV, and pinna gain spot compensator like Anole VX, Tri Starsea, UM MEST MKII. And as it goes to TOTL, I see more pinna gain spot compensator than hitter, so that makes sense that Hisenior one gets a welcome from conservative approach fans.
85D28DFF-4450-4036-B78E-5304DB36ED28.png

My experience from pinna gain compensator type is that if tuned right, it provides very mellow and fragile Upper mid presentation, makes overall tonality “airy” and “euphoric”, if tuned wrong, mostly the bass range arrangement around 50-200hz floor, it can get simply dark and muddy.

Actually that Hisenior chart caught my attention, I may try someday.
Also sidefire knowles also caught my attention, may try DT200 too.

IMO tonality preference is purely subkective so we can’t conclude absolute judgment though.

Last edited:
May 28, 2021 at 1:36 PM Post #28,245 of 31,833

I found my 1+1 on KZ SKS is ideal sound, and yes Lark is another great tuned one too. KBear really knows what they are dealing with for each price range.
audiophile has little to do with price and quality. it's about being obsessed with audio, especially the gear. a real audiophile is obsessed about attaining gear whatever that entails but in the end the audiophile listens to the hardware and less the music. I do it to an extent but it's hard not to when the hardware is part of the transport to your ears. part of the reason we congregrate at head fi. to make the most of our purchases no matter our budget. If chi-fi was as bad as some make it out to be I think china would've been laughed out of the market regardless of price. nonetheless, I am appreciative of other audiophiles as their ears help us make our choices. I like to make fun of audiophiles occasionally. Like I would make Zeos embarassed.
Yea, KZ/CCA/TRN does have some aggressively V-tuned ones with 30095, 2khz&5khz peak ones which I dislike, but that does not conclude exclusively entire line ups are hot mess and even that V-tuning exist for a reason because it does create some sense of “clarity” for some. It’s all pinna gain spot location and gain sensitivity.

KZ SKS/CCA CSN/TRN MT1 are a nicely tined newer 2021 line ups, and I feel KZ/CCA/TRN may got some ideas of fine-tuning from these new releases. They still trying to sell “100BAs in a shell” type the more the better thing, which I’m rather on skeptical side🤨

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back