BEST BASS CANS $150 HELP!!!!!!!!
Oct 9, 2012 at 2:35 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 15

mrbasshead888

New Head-Fier
Hello fellow bassheads and headfiers, im 15 and need help finding the absolute best set of bass cans. I currently own a pair of sennheiser HD202s for my set up, and i know that they are obviously not what ive been looking for. For the past year ive been trying tofind something better but never had the money. Ive been looking into the dt770 pro 80 paired with a cmoy bb, but unfortunately they are a little over my budget. I almost bought a pair of xb500s, but didnt because Ijust wasnt sure. My requirements are that these cans have heaps of thumping, monstrous bass, are comfortable( preferably around/over ear), work unamped, but amped is fine only if the total cost of the headfones+the amp fit the budget, are at least somewhat portable, work perfect with hip hop/rap, techno, and every type of other bass heavy music, do not sacrifice decent mids/highs, and most importantly are not priced over $200.

Oct 9, 2012 at 3:14 PM Post #3 of 15
Quote:
...do not sacrifice decent mids/highs,

then stay clear of the PRO700MK2.   I returned mine because I disliked the highs/mids so much. 

The ultrasone HFI-580 is about $150. It has great bass and great clarity but is pretty uncomfortable.  

I've not owned the M-Audio Q40, but I've heard good things about it...  Might want to give that one a try.   

Oct 9, 2012 at 3:23 PM Post #4 of 15
Quote:
Hello fellow bassheads and headfiers, im 15 and need help finding the absolute best set of bass cans. I currently own a pair of sennheiser HD202s for my set up, and i know that they are obviously not what ive been looking for. For the past year ive been trying tofind something better but never had the money. Ive been looking into the dt770 pro 80 paired with a cmoy bb, but unfortunately they are a little over my budget. I almost bought a pair of xb500s, but didnt because Ijust wasnt sure. My requirements are that these cans have heaps of thumping, monstrous bass, are comfortable( preferably around/over ear), work unamped, but amped is fine only if the total cost of the headfones+the amp fit the budget, are at least somewhat portable, work perfect with hip hop/rap, techno, and every type of other bass heavy music, do not sacrifice decent mids/highs, and most importantly are not priced over $200.

Really sounds exactly like the DT770s. 160 on Amazon. Sure you can't stretch your budget?

Oct 9, 2012 at 3:36 PM Post #5 of 15
Quote:

then stay clear of the PRO700MK2.   I returned mine because I disliked the highs/mids so much. 

The ultrasone HFI-580 is about $150. It has great bass and great clarity but is pretty uncomfortable.  

I've not owned the M-Audio Q40, but I've heard good things about it...  Might want to give that one a try.   

I actually thought the MK2's had excellent mids and highs for the amount of bass they pack.

Oct 9, 2012 at 3:45 PM Post #6 of 15
The PRO700MK2 is a good basshead can, just because someone doesn't like it don't mean it's a bad headphone.
And for the OP's music preference, it's perfect. It's not like he's gonna listen to classical with it.
As for the HFI580, it's an entry level basshead can at best.

Oct 9, 2012 at 4:57 PM Post #7 of 15
I am new around here too, but I have preferences that tend towards a more bass-heavy sound.  After doing a bunch of research, I ended up with the m-audio q40's slapped on the dt770 velour pads and added a fiio e11 for juice.  The bass is ridiculous for headphones, i mean there is some serious impact.  And total cost was right at about 200 dollars, just gotta shop around for the right deal.  The only ding is that they are not exactly what i would term as "portable" but considering what i've seen other people wear in public, no one is gonna care....just 2 cents from another noob....

Oct 9, 2012 at 5:33 PM Post #9 of 15
Agree to disagree on the PRO700MK2 SQ. But I can't imagine we would disagree that they are not very comfortable. 

That's pretty irrelevant here, the comfort issue can be solved by switching the pads out. Many pads out there will fit the mk2's including the M50's. the stock pads on these cans SUCK at best. It is almost mandatory to change them out. Try the DT770's pads as well.

Apr 22, 2014 at 7:51 AM Post #11 of 15
  I'd have to recommend an Ultra-sone, of either the 580 or 780 flavor. Enjoy your bass!

You replied to a thread that's more than a year old.

Apr 22, 2014 at 2:08 PM Post #13 of 15

Haha, At least it could still help someone who finds this thread whenever.

Good samaritan 
wink.gif

Apr 25, 2014 at 6:00 PM Post #14 of 15
Beyerdynamic DT 990s (Got mine on Amazon for $150 but not the 32 ohm version. Portables will have a hard time driving the 250 ohm version). Ludacris by Soul SL 300 (Discontinued but still on the net for $89+). Very realistic sounding, noise canceling, has extra "normal" cable for home use that doesn't screw up the sound and very comfortable. The new version (SL150 BW is suppost to be the same) or Able Planet NC1150 currently on special for $69 at Buy Digital .com  

Users who are viewing this thread

Back