Best bang for buck purchase ever
Apr 21, 2009 at 1:47 AM Post #47 of 78
My best bang for the buck is definitely the Realistic Pro 30s that I found at a Garage Sale for about 5 bucks. Definitely worth it. With the Orthodynamic Thread mods, I like them better than my Ultrasone HFi-780.

Apr 21, 2009 at 2:04 AM Post #48 of 78
T-Amp from Sonic Image, for $25 on Amazon. Now replaced (sold it for $50 on ebay) by a Gizmo ($89, also a Class D amp with a pre-out for a sub and better case, speaker connects).

Absolute best sonic deal ever? A pair of KLH Model 20 speakers circa 1964. Cost: Free. A friend's dad was going to throw them in the trash. Hooked them up to my Zune dock and Gizmo, and they sound fantastic as part of my awesome office system.

Apr 21, 2009 at 2:16 AM Post #50 of 78
Well I'm new to all of this but my best bang for buck purchases are my Koss KSC75 ($12), 8GB Sansa Clip ($49), and FiiO E3 ($6.25)
ksc75smile.gif

Apr 21, 2009 at 4:56 AM Post #51 of 78
This thread makes me shed a tear for my dear departed 600 ohm DT990. It seems that age caught up with its drivers. I'm often on the lookout for another one to pop up on ebay.

As for bang for the buck, I guess it would definitely have to be the $20 SR-60 I bought off my cousin. It was about as far from mint condition as you could get while still having a functional headphone, but I managed to fix it up.

Apr 21, 2009 at 2:00 PM Post #53 of 78
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ghigguls /img/forum/go_quote.gif
mine was ultrasone hfi 650's on ebay for $159...I know it doesnt sound that great, but they were my first phones and they were going for about $250

I just snagged a pair for $75, shipped...
ph34r.gif

tongue.gif
tongue.gif

Apr 21, 2009 at 2:02 PM Post #54 of 78
Quote:

Originally Posted by TopPop /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I just snagged a pair for $75, shipped...
ph34r.gif

tongue.gif
tongue.gif

Wow! Do they actually work? They're $199 on Amazon right now...

EDIT: Oh, never mind - those are the newer version I guess (PRO 650). Must be similar though, right?

Apr 21, 2009 at 2:04 PM Post #55 of 78
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ericular /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Wow! Do they actually work? They're $199 on Amazon right now...

Like a charm. I did some slight modifications to them to tighten the bass and tame the highs, and they are pretty fantastic sounding for my computer setup (rigs in sig...).

Also, I ordered some Beyerdynamic DT-250 velour pads to use on them, which were shipped out today. So, for about $100 even, I should have some pretty decent desk cans!

Apr 21, 2009 at 2:05 PM Post #56 of 78
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ericular /img/forum/go_quote.gif
EDIT: Oh, never mind - those are the newer version I guess (PRO 650). Must be similar though, right?

Oh, yeah, these are the older ones, but still in good condition. Not sure about the differences, sonically, but they look completely different.

Apr 21, 2009 at 2:43 PM Post #57 of 78
Quote:

Originally Posted by intoart /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I use mine with my Cambridge Audio 340C and 340A, which is a truly awesome system. On the other hand, I have also heard them powered by an iphone (no amp), and they sounded excellent that way as well.
How you could not be utterly blown away by them is beyond me.
confused.gif

My 770pro sound like garbage out of all daps I tried. The only player with enough volume for these cans is Cowon D2 but it still sounds pretty crap.

Apr 21, 2009 at 2:46 PM Post #58 of 78
intoart you should totally give all your money to Larry so he can make a special one of a kind UBER L33T V4 SUPER EXTRA DEEP Terminators just for you
biggrin.gif

Apr 21, 2009 at 3:17 PM Post #59 of 78
Brand new PortaPros for 1 €!

They were offered w/ an unlucky Sansa e240 though, which I had to return after "memory loss"; then the replacement's OS got jammed and it was returned, too. So, in the end, 1€ total.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back