Best bang for buck purchase ever
Apr 20, 2009 at 4:05 PM Post #16 of 78
Quote:

Originally Posted by intoart /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I use mine with my Cambridge Audio 340C and 340A, which is a truly awesome system.

Interesting, i have the same system but i thinks using a good headphone will be a HUGE (or at least just huge) improvement,soon i will see what they worth against a compass.

Apr 20, 2009 at 4:11 PM Post #17 of 78
Quote:

It is clear from that statement that you are incapable of recognizing fantastic sound quality when you hear it. How sad for you!
frown.gif

LOL! The DT770's were the first headphone I purchased after finding head-fi but, through actually experiencing a multitude of other headphones(something you apparently know nothing about), I soon realized their extreme limitations mainly due to their clearly recessed midrange and uncontrolled one note flabby bass.

Incapable of recognizing fantastic sound quality you say? That's why I have moved on to currently own an RS-1, HP-1000 and an L3000.

Apr 20, 2009 at 4:15 PM Post #18 of 78
Quote:

It is clear from that statement that you are incapable of recognizing fantastic sound quality when you hear it. How sad for you!
frown.gif

What a completely frivolous statement! I wasn't impressed with them either... does that mean I have a deaf ear for sound quality? Of course not.

That's about as worthless a claim as me saying that you are incapable of recognizing good sound quality because you like the DT-770.

What? Ridiculous.

Apr 20, 2009 at 4:24 PM Post #20 of 78
AKG K81DJ objectivelly, PRO 900 subjectivelly

Apr 20, 2009 at 4:35 PM Post #21 of 78
Guys, intoart is completely and utterly impressed with the DT770Pro. Nothing at all wrong with that, and if he likes them better than what we consider better headphones, that's his perrogative.
$150 is the going rate for these so I wouldn't consider that to be a great deal personally.

My best bang-for-the-buck purchase was my Denon DVD-2900 SACD player that went for $999 back in 2003. I bought it for $153.09 on eBay two months ago. I unboxed it and the unit and the remote looked barely used.

Apr 20, 2009 at 4:46 PM Post #22 of 78
My personal favorite purchases: Klipsh Image, combo Pico, and EEE PC.

I got the half off Klipsch promo, so that came out to $130.

Edit: shout outs to my Sansa Clip and Head-Direct HE2, but I can't put them at the top, because the sound quality isn't quite there.

Apr 20, 2009 at 5:45 PM Post #23 of 78
Koss KSC75 for obvious reason
tongue.gif

JVC RX700 = I am glad I purchased this HP when it was still in stock even then I have to wait around 1 week.

Apr 20, 2009 at 7:12 PM Post #26 of 78
Quote:

Originally Posted by Uncle Erik /img/forum/go_quote.gif
1. Denon DL103 for about $120. Man, does this thing sound good! I'll probably stick with these forever, since I hate paying big bucks for wear items.

2. Used Beyerdynamic DT48 for about $60. Read the raving reviews of the select few of us who own these. A few of the superphones might better it, but these smoke pretty much everything in detail retrieval and accuracy.

3. Used Quad ESL-63 pair for $650. They roll off hard below 40Hz, but are stunning on everything above that.

A dt48 for $60? OMG
eek.gif
That's incredible bfb...

Apr 20, 2009 at 7:16 PM Post #28 of 78
Quote:

Originally Posted by REB /img/forum/go_quote.gif
A dt48 for $60? OMG
eek.gif
That's incredible bfb...

Not really. A a version sold for 86. Some one sold 2 DT 48 silvers for like 50.00.. I never get that lucky. Cost me 225.00..

Apr 20, 2009 at 7:25 PM Post #29 of 78
I hate to admit it but there is a huge element of 'quest-romance' in the never-ending audiophool consumerism fostered by the hi-fi hobby in general and Head Fi in particular (D@mn you, Head-Fi!). Why, all I had to do was get the M^3 Amp to enhance pc-replay, and, in the process of rediscovering and then subsequently resolving to re-rip the entire audio collection, I decided that I'd just have to buy some more used headphones to try it with. Four pairs in thirty days later. . . .

It's not the urge to conspicuous consumerism itself but the epic urgency of the particular purchase that ornaments the very best purchases. Among them, I fondly recall trying to find some good *very used* speakers to replace some nearly-new Aurum Cantus two-way bookshelf speakers I'd gotten passed on. The Aurums sounded detailed, but the ribbon tweeter just made it gutless, I thought. So I wanted big, classic two-way floorstanders. I swapped offers and anecdotes with a guy on Agon about getting his Aerial 7s; he ultimately decided that they were too expensive to ship. Dejectedly googling Craigslist, I found another pair in Silicon Valley. They were cheaper than the Agon pair but local pickup only: I'm in Bham, AL. Could I trust a long-distance Craigslist sale? The speakers were being sold by what seemed to be (and ended-up being) respectable high-end stereo contractors for well-groomed tech peoples--how could I know for sure? The Aerials had been fiercely scrawled over with markers by the tech-exec's prodigious progeny; did I mind?--the marks were reflected in the price. Could I source a local packer and shipper?--the boxes were long gone. I did it all over three long July weeks, and I confess that they were three of the best that I had in a long, wearisome, angst-ridden summer.

The Aerial 7s arrived and sounded like two-driver heaven. Can you doubt it? I still love 'em, but I know that their value is deeply invested with all the pleasant agonies that I put myself through to get 'em. Good thing too. Speakers are the last things that I would want to be tormented by the upgrade bug about.

Apr 20, 2009 at 7:44 PM Post #30 of 78
all my headphones cost the usual going rate when i bought them... i guess my fiio E3 was great bang for the buck even though i paid the same $8 as everyone else

my PFEs were great bang for the buck at the same $125.10 everyone else pays with the 10% off code

now if you extend the discussion to all audio related equipment... i paid $5 for a Peavey TNT100 bass amp that only needed a fuse replacement to get it working

Users who are viewing this thread

Back