Best android music player app?
Aug 21, 2014 at 12:54 AM Post #347 of 633
I've now tried the Jet Player, Poweramp, and Apollo, which was default on CM for a bit... with my new OnePlus I have enough space for music, but it doesn't seem to work with RockBox, and I can't find a player as good as my S9... any suggestions?

Requirements:
-Stay in file browser when clicking on a new song. (I don't want it to take me to another interface panel, because I may want to click another song in the album two seconds later.)
-Sort by folders
-Look minimalist but not old

I already have a decent EQ with AudioFX on CM11S, so that's not a big deal. Any suggestions?

If it worked, my vote for the best would be Rockbox, though it doesn't fulfill my first requirement terribly well.

Aug 22, 2014 at 12:21 AM Post #349 of 633
^Because other than my Cowon S9 with a custom UCI, I've never seen something functionally better as far as music players go. Additoinally, Rockbox is the VLC of portable media players: An interface that it's terribly modern looking or pretty, but features and compatibility that are in a different class compared to their competition.

Aug 24, 2014 at 7:52 PM Post #352 of 633
I like poweramp, not only because it looks awesome and it great to customise, but I also find that they eq and the bass and treble settings work great, perfect for any headphones really, I use m50x's and lets face it they don't have a lot of bass, but turn the bass setting up a bit in power amp and you get a decent thud :)

Aug 24, 2014 at 9:50 PM Post #353 of 633
I've now tried stock app, Poweramp and MediaMonkey (great sync option on the last one, if running MM desktop).

The sad part is, they all sound like crap (with Poweramp the best of the three) compared to Sandisk Sansa. Really want to use the phone as music player, but between SQ and limited capacity, it's still seems a few years away. 

Aug 25, 2014 at 6:27 AM Post #355 of 633
  Does the Sansa really sound that great? My Moto X with JetAudio sounds better that my 4G, 5.5G or 7G (6G with 160GB HD) or Sony Walkmans.

It is pretty impressive. Apples to apples (e.g., say, with 220VBR MP3) Sansa sounds better than Nexus 5 with VSonic GR04's. Another point is, that with 64GB microSD, Sansa has more than twice the space of the Nexus, which makes it easier to use FLAC (I guess you don't have that problem with MotoX :) )

Aug 25, 2014 at 4:45 PM Post #357 of 633
The Moto X has no expansion and thus users are stuck with the 16GB or 32 GB that came with it. I also use FLAC files if I'm using hi-fi cans. However, under certain circumstances - when I don't require critical listening, I might use buds or open cans and listen to mp3s. I am limited to the storage on the Moto X - so periodically I have to erase and copy files from my home library. However, the sound of the Moto X with JetAudio is perceptively better than the 160 GB 7G IPod Classic - so I choose to inconvenience myself with the limited storage of the Moto X. Plus, the added convenience of PDA and games + web all on the Moto X - plus I got a wallet case for it - so everything is in one place (and I'll be totally sunk if I lost it). I do not like the limited storage - but JetAudio + Moto X just sounds all that much better so I'll put up with only being able to select from hundreds of songs as opposed to hundreds of thousands. 

I did try a streaming app to go from my library storage through the Moto X - but at present, it won't allow me to use JetAudio and it sounds not so great (on par with IPod player) and JetAudio can't scan NAS storage yet.

The clincher in all of this is JetAudio. Some may consider it cheating, but it uses BBE. I also have BBE on my home audio + installed at the club I DJ at. The 20-band equalizer of JetAudio remains flat and unused (bypassed actually) and combined with the head devices I use, sounds great to my ears. However, occasionally, I'll run across tracks that were mastered digitally from a master meant for vinyl (equalization and compression) and those tracks sound awful - but those are few and far between.

Aug 25, 2014 at 4:48 PM Post #358 of 633
Incidentally, Cowan and jetAudio are related and many of the functions on the Cowans are also on the JetAudio. I haven't actually played with a Cowan in real life, but notice some are based on the Android system. We will need an actual user to verify if the Android Cowans just have Android JetAudio on them. I also use jetAudio on my WIndows systems. 

Aug 27, 2014 at 3:54 PM Post #359 of 633
If someone's missed it, foobar is building a music player for android/ios (and maybe wp8.1). Might be something to look into. 

It's crowdsourced so if you think they will do a good job you can contribute and get alpha/beta access. (I haven't though, waiting for full release)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back