Best android music player app?
Sep 23, 2014 at 11:42 AM Post #362 of 633
I have found that there are fairly stark differences in sound quality and overall sonic characteristics based on the audio player software, even through an external USB DAC (I'm using Fiio E07K with my LG Optimus G Pro over USB OTG).  In my trials, the only audio player software that sounded consistently better to me than the LG default player was USB Audio Player Pro.  I purchased it after uninstalling the trial, because in my opinion UAPP > USB OTG > E07K sounds identical to how the E07K sounds as a USB DAC on a Windows box!  Due to that single fact, I consider UAPP well worth my $10!  Unfortunately, while the E07K DAC proved to be universal and plug-and-play with USB OTG, no other audio player app exhibited this transparency (Neutron, stock player, noozy, Fusion).  Also, Neutron had clipping issues that made it really annoying to use.  I resolved those issues by activating the AGP and rumble protection, but I still don't think that should have been necessary when using the E07K, so I dumped it before the trial period was up.

Just to be clear: I did not choose UAPP because of USB DAC compatibility problems, because I've had none, rather, I chose UAPP because it sounded the best, particularly with my E07K.  Of course, UAPP also has the benefit of not being restricted to Redbook bit-depth and frequency (not relevant to me, because I only own Redbook quality source material).

Also, LG Optimus G Pro's HO really sucks in comparison to Zune 120 GB or iThingy's, so I recommend a good USB DAC + USB OTG cable with it, should you end up with this otherwise very nice (and now cheap-ish) phone.

Sep 24, 2014 at 1:52 PM Post #363 of 633
Dammit I've been through like 3 pairs of headphones.. I tried UAPP and Poweramp.. How do I get rid of sibilance in my headphones? I get harsh high sounds if the volume gets turned up and I need volume. I used Foam tips as well. I also use Viper with Poweramp seems to be the best.

Sep 25, 2014 at 10:10 AM Post #366 of 633
Usually headphone manufacturers use some kind of packing material between the driver and the ear to smooth out the treble. RE-400's use a small wad of some kind of synthetic fiber between the driver and the external filter and they have the aforementioned external filter. With those in place the treble is typically very smooth, but without they are sibilant and unpleasant. You might try a simple mod such as laying a handkerchief flat between your ear and the phones, unless you have iems, then you could wad a bit of cotton or something and stuff in there.

Sep 27, 2014 at 5:36 PM Post #369 of 633
I've ever owned sony walkman z1070. Ever tried the poweramp, neutron, and walkman player. The most detail and bright is neutron. The poweramp sounds a little warm in my taste. Even its warmer than the walkman.
Right now im using walkman f887 and xperia z1 with walkman. It sounds best to my taste than the other player. One best feature in walkman is the clear bass. Its very awesome, and i can't find the feature like that in any other apps

Sep 28, 2014 at 7:28 PM Post #370 of 633
Usually headphone manufacturers use some kind of packing material between the driver and the ear to smooth out the treble. RE-400's use a small wad of some kind of synthetic fiber between the driver and the external filter and they have the aforementioned external filter. With those in place the treble is typically very smooth, but without they are sibilant and unpleasant. You might try a simple mod such as laying a handkerchief flat between your ear and the phones, unless you have iems, then you could wad a bit of cotton or something and stuff in there.

Some higher IEMs actually come with a kit to change out the stuffing for different signatures. Some cans actually have stickers over some of the holes to dampen some of the higher frequencies and tailor the response. The material can be as easy to remove (and replace if desired) as a foam disc.

Sep 29, 2014 at 12:55 AM Post #371 of 633
That was what I thought was the case. Now I'm wondering if greenkomodo1 has had any success curing his sibilance issues. It also occurred to me that he could be getting that effect if the volume is so high in one of the components of his audio chain is suffering clipping. In which case he needs as amp with more power.

Dec 5, 2014 at 4:34 AM Post #373 of 633
I have been using the Walkman app ever since I bought my Sony Xperia Z1 Compact, but in the process of changing phones. Do any other Android music apps have a feature similar to Sony's Clear Bass?

Dec 6, 2014 at 12:38 PM Post #374 of 633
OK I've gone through the whole thread and googled stuff. Which is the best for unrooted phone, just based purely on SQ, no EQ and other gimmicks. Also how much memory does it take up?

Neutron Music Player https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.neutroncode.mp&hl=en_GB 

USB Audio Player Pro https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.extreamsd.usbaudioplayerpro&hl=en

PlayerPro Music Player https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.tbig.playerpro&hl=en

Dec 6, 2014 at 10:36 PM Post #375 of 633
I've tried them all and now just use the stock 4.3 music player on my Galaxy s3 19300. With Viper4android added, I couldn't be happier.

Neutron is quite unique, I agree, but it seems to make music sound a bit 'grey' to my ears.

I'll like to ask, why does Neutron have treble rolloff? Is it intentional? I am pretty sure it isn't hardware related since I have tested Neutron on both my Xperia TX and Z2 against various other players and it seems Neutron is the only one with noticeable treble rolloff.
color]

Above is the RMAA test I recently done on my new Xperia Z2. "Neutron 64" is pretty much with all the audiophiles options turned on. "Neutron 32" is all the options off. "Walkman" is the default walkman app on Sony phone., and UAPP is USB Audio Player PRO. As you can see, only Neutron has rolloff. Even though the walkman app looks pretty bad, it still extends up to 20kHz within 1dB.

Source: http://neutronmp.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=2079

Users who are viewing this thread

Back