Best android music player app?
May 5, 2014 at 8:47 AM Post #317 of 633
popcorn.gif

May 13, 2014 at 1:13 AM Post #319 of 633
  I am partial to GoneMad at the moment, currently using that as my main music player through the HTC one m8 with the ERA mod installed

THANK YOU!!! for the suggestion of GoneMad. I love the UI on this player. It matches exactly what I wanted in a player. Purchasing this one now!
This one feels most like Foobar2K to me out of all the players I've tried so far.

May 13, 2014 at 1:58 AM Post #320 of 633
  THANK YOU!!! for the suggestion of GoneMad. I love the UI on this player. It matches exactly what I wanted in a player. Purchasing this one now!
This one feels most like Foobar2K to me out of all the players I've tried so far.

I've mentioned GoneMad before, it's high in my rotation of players (along with PowerAMP and UAPP).

May 13, 2014 at 7:31 AM Post #321 of 633
While I have grown quite fond of the Neutron player, I've ventured elsewhere in the world of portable high-quality listening.

I've had a FIIO X5 High-Res player now, and have been auditioning it for about a week.  I've transferred all my high-res flac files from my PC w/o any down-conversion from standard-res CD/DVD quality to the high-res sources I've purchased from HDTracks (this took literally hours).  I've equipped it with 2) SanDisk 128GB MicroSDs so I should be set for space for a while.

The Sound?

The sound is definitely different.  I use the word "different" because I don't want to use any unqualified superlatives that I cannot quantify with empirical data, and alas, there is no "empirical" data to be had.  A better question to ask would be "do I like the sound?".  And with that, I can answer with a resounding "yes, so far".  Time will tell.

In the meantime, it looks like my phone can go back to just being a smartphone (Note 2), and my external amps may, and I say "may" be retired and sold.

Steve

May 19, 2014 at 4:08 PM Post #324 of 633
May 20, 2014 at 1:37 AM Post #325 of 633
I've become hooked on BBE and Aphex, so my players of choice are quite limited. Older versions of Jet Audio, BBE Sonic Max Music Player, Aphex Music Player, and JVC SonicMax are currently the only players that include these types of processing. Unfortunately, neither of these is available as a final-stage plug-in nor is there an external amp or DAC that has these built in that I can conveniently carry around with my phone. It also means I have lots of non-Android and non-iOS devices that I no longer use for playback (like any Apple device besides the Iphone or iTouch). 

I wish someone would write an app that would process all audio on the phone with BBE/Aphex, design a mobile friendly amp or DAC with BBE/Aphex, or even write an app that turns a phone into an outboard USB/DAC (assuming the phone already has decent circuitry).

May 25, 2014 at 5:29 AM Post #326 of 633
What do BBE and Aphex do? I used to have a Cowon J3 with BBE on it - equivalent of a dsp with virtualiser or something similar.

Why don't you try Viper4android? You need to be rooted, bit it gives a fair few options....

May 26, 2014 at 6:55 PM Post #327 of 633
BBE rearranges the higher frequencies to arrive slightly ahead of the lower ones. The shift is also dependent on amplitude. Aphex adds even harmonics to the music. Both add sparkle to music and are often used in the studio as part of the recording process. Aphex used to charge by the minute when it first came out in the 70s. You will find many artists in the 70s crediting Aphex in the recording, mixing, and mastering process. These days both can be bought as an outboard box or plug-ins for computing devices. To many, it just sounds like treble and bass controls - and I envy those people - because I'm stuck with very specific players. Viper4android does not a BBE or Aphex effect. Realize that these are very specific effects used on over 90% of mainstream recordings and knockoffs by Behringer or DFX are not the same thing one someone has become intimate with the original. I wonder what James Taylor's reaction would be if the studio told him he could no longer use Aphex (present on all his commercial recordings since 1973) and instead had to use the Behringer copy. Not likely since he used to pay to use Aphex per the minute back when they were only available as time rental pieces.

Jun 3, 2014 at 11:45 AM Post #330 of 633
Out of all the players i tried, gonemad music player has the highest quality EQ. Neutron in particulary has a horrible sounding EQ in my opinion.

I think Neutron has the superior audio engine and sounds better. It is easy to get Neutron's configuration wrong though and cause sound distortion, particularly by overdoing pre-amp or fiddling with settings that are not understood fully. There is nothing at all wrong with Gonemad, and it has a nicer UI than Neutron, I just think Neutron is superior in terms of audio quality if it is configured correctly. In fact I have not yet found an Android music player that has better sound quality than Neutron - if anyone knows of any, I'd love to give them a go?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back