Best android music player app?
Jul 21, 2013 at 4:29 PM Post #121 of 633
Listening 'seriously', or concentrating and focusing on it as I assume you mean, is totally antithetical to absorbing and living and enjoying it. You can't intellectualise such a primitive instinctual thing.

Try telling me why you love your favourite album. It won't get anywhere near the real reasons.

Jul 21, 2013 at 5:45 PM Post #122 of 633
Ask me why I like my favourite album, and I'd probably struggle to tell you.

Jul 21, 2013 at 5:54 PM Post #123 of 633
Listening 'seriously', or concentrating and focusing on it as I assume you mean, is totally antithetical to absorbing and living and enjoying it. You can't intellectualise such a primitive instinctual thing.

Try telling me why you love your favourite album. It won't get anywhere near the real reasons.

My favourite album:

Reasons:

I like Elizabethan songs and consort music, especially the sound of a viol consort.
Rose Consort of Viols is one of the two best viol consorts imo.
Catherine King's singing is superb.
It's an excellent recording of excellent performances.

My other favourite album might be Neil Young & Crazy Horse's Ragged Glory because I like Neil Young's voice and guitar playing, Crazy Horse are a really good band, I like the songs on Ragged Glory and it is another excellent recording. Probably what I like best is a couple of the songs which resonate very strongly with my own feelings and experiences and certain attitudes or moods.

Now you are going to tell me that somehow those are all post facto rationalisations of "real" reasons I'm not conscious of? Did someone read Psychology for Dummies? :confused_face_2:

Jul 21, 2013 at 8:57 PM Post #125 of 633
I like too much different music to pick out one or two favorites. There are analyzable things to appreciate (a great lyric, chord progression, arrangement/colors, great improvisation, a melody that sticks), and some things are harder to pin down (a certain energy, depth, campiness, persona of performer...musicians can get there personality into the instrumental work as well as vocal or lyric, and some will "take" with me). I don't say everyone has to sit and analyze chord progressions or musical/lyrica references, you can just enjoy things for what they are and not think about these things. Listening for these things, however, doesn't detract from the primal response to music, just adds more layers to it.
'Nuff said.

Jul 21, 2013 at 11:00 PM Post #126 of 633
Oh yeah, why I got involved in this forum (which I'm starting to regret)...wanted a music player that sounded as good as Neutron but had a UI that I could manage. Ay ideas? 

Jul 22, 2013 at 12:21 AM Post #128 of 633
I use Kamerton. It sounds same or even slightly better than Neutron since it has minimal sound processing delivering original recording quality. I also like it over other players because I can listen directly to vinyl images, no resampling, or converting are required.

People should understand that all players supporting EQ are generally degrade sound qualities, since decent EQ requers full FFT processing which is obviously out of Android hardware capability, Simple biquad or IIR low pass filters are used which actually do good job for MP3 files, however behave annoying if you are a fan of high quality non compressed music with sample rate 96000 and up. So I assume here is no player which can satisfy all requirements of all type listeners.

If you consider yourself as a mainstream listener mostly to MP3 and like to look at nice pictures, then go with poweramp.

If you are more serious listener who has established music taste and a good collection of lossy and lossless music, then go with Neutron or Cubed.

If you are perfectionist like myself, then go with Kamerton.

You will be a winner with any player of your choice.

Jul 22, 2013 at 12:28 AM Post #129 of 633
Quote:
I don't understand why some people say that the neutron player doesn't make a difference, when an external usb is used. Since one of the biggest differences between neutron and other player, is that he rewrote the audio decoders used in neutron player. Dacs are not supposed to decode audio codexs, or are they?

No DACs do not do decoding. Unless you talk about lossy music, rewriting decoding doesn't make any sense, since it is a straight forward process and result has to be equal to original wav file used for encoding. I like the player I use because it simply doesn't support lossy music so I do not need to deal with compromises.

Jul 22, 2013 at 2:17 AM Post #130 of 633
I use Kamerton. It sounds same or even slightly better than Neutron since it has minimal sound processing delivering original recording quality. I also like it over other players because I can listen directly to vinyl images, no resampling, or converting are required.

People should understand that all players supporting EQ are generally degrade sound qualities, since decent EQ requers full FFT processing which is obviously out of Android hardware capability, Simple biquad or IIR low pass filters are used which actually do good job for MP3 files, however behave annoying if you are a fan of high quality non compressed music with sample rate 96000 and up. So I assume here is no player which can satisfy all requirements of all type listeners.

If you consider yourself as a mainstream listener mostly to MP3 and like to look at nice pictures, then go with poweramp.

If you are more serious listener who has established music taste and a good collection of lossy and lossless music, then go with Neutron or Cubed.

If you are perfectionist like myself, then go with Kamerton.

You will be a winner with any player of your choice.

It only has one review on Google Play, and virtually. O comments on Internet as far as I can see. Are you involved with the app in any way?

Jul 22, 2013 at 2:19 AM Post #131 of 633
Even perceptual lossy decoders have strictly defined outputfor a given input. I don't know where you guys got this "rewrote decoder" idea from.

HiBy Stay updated on HiBy at their facebook, website or email (icons below). Stay updated on HiBy at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/hibycom https://store.hiby.com/ service@hiby.com
Jul 22, 2013 at 5:29 AM Post #132 of 633
Quote:
Even perceptual lossy decoders have strictly defined outputfor a given input. I don't know where you guys got this "rewrote decoder" idea from.

I think the misconception arises from Neutron using a touted buffering system for decoding rather than hand written decoders themselves. Decoders are off the shelf software so writing one makes no sense whatsoever.

Jul 22, 2013 at 5:32 AM Post #133 of 633
Jul 22, 2013 at 5:35 AM Post #134 of 633
Quote:
I see a lot of potential in this player.
Even plays 192/24, is the dac supports this, but how?

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=rogatkin.mobile.app.lialichka&hl=en

Well for 2 bucks it may be worth a try
biggrin.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back