Best amp for HD 650's ($250 budget)
Oct 31, 2012 at 9:58 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

steelle

Head-Fier
Sup headfi, putting some money into my rig (have 580s, putting 650 drivers and 600 grills on), and I'm looking to grab a new amp (currently just running cans straight out of my computer input).  Any recommendations on the strongest pair with the HD600 series for around $250? (ideally would like to keep it under $200 but i know how it goes). I listen to pretty much everything (jazz/metal/electronica/classical) and am not looking to bring out any specific sound, just something balanced that will make them shine.

From the research I've done I'm considering the following: Schiit Asgard, one of the Little Dot series, Bottlehead Crack OTL, maybe an O2, or maybe even a receiver?

Oct 31, 2012 at 11:23 PM Post #2 of 12
Quote:
Sup headfi, putting some money into my rig (have 580s, putting 650 drivers and 600 grills on), and I'm looking to grab a new amp (currently just running cans straight out of my computer input).  Any recommendations on the strongest pair with the HD600 series for around $250? (ideally would like to keep it under $200 but i know how it goes). I listen to pretty much everything (jazz/metal/electronica/classical) and am not looking to bring out any specific sound, just something balanced that will make them shine.

From the research I've done I'm considering the following: Schiit Asgard, one of the Little Dot series, Bottlehead Crack OTL, maybe an O2, or maybe even a receiver?

A receiver would be good if you plan on getting unpowered speakers, or also need something to use with a game console.
Receiver usually output a decent amount of juice at the headphone jack, so should work fairly well with 300-Ohm headphones (HD650 drivers/diaphragms)
What make and model of motherboard are you using?
Hopefully is comes with S/PDIF (optical or coaxial) output?

Is this audio setup for just music? or movies? or gaming?

Oct 31, 2012 at 11:40 PM Post #3 of 12
Quote:
A receiver would be good if you plan on getting unpowered speakers, or also need something to use with a game console.
Receiver usually output a decent amount of juice at the headphone jack, so should work fairly well with 300-Ohm headphones (HD650 drivers/diaphragms)
What make and model of motherboard are you using?
Hopefully is comes with S/PDIF (optical or coaxial) output?

Is this audio setup for just music? or movies? or gaming?

Don't plan on getting speakers, I've just seen uncle erik say that if he needed a relatively cheap amp he'd grab an old receiver so I thought it might be a viable option, although maybe not the best option.  My mobo is EVGA X58 FTW3. I'm not entirely sure how to tell if it comes with s/pdif input, I know for sure there are just the regular audio inputs on the back panel, but on the mobo itself there is a header labeled SPDIF (i think its called a header), but I'm not sure what exactly connects to it.

Only really care about sound quality for music, all else is secondary.

Nov 1, 2012 at 1:00 AM Post #4 of 12
Quote:
Don't plan on getting speakers, I've just seen uncle erik say that if he needed a relatively cheap amp he'd grab an old receiver so I thought it might be a viable option, although maybe not the best option.  My mobo is EVGA X58 FTW3. I'm not entirely sure how to tell if it comes with S/PDIF input, I know for sure there are just the regular audio inputs on the back panel, but on the mobo itself there is a header labeled SPDIF (i think its called a header), but I'm not sure what exactly connects to it.

Only really care about sound quality for music, all else is secondary.

Your motherboard does come with S/PDIF, both optical & coaxial built into the motherboard
But does not come with the adapter/bracket that would connect the motherboard's S/PDIF from the motherboard to an external connection point.
The part is

Gigabyte 12CR1-1SPINO-11R

Amazon will sell you that part for $30
On eBay, there is a seller (e-speedy, in Australia) that will ship you one for $16.04
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Gigabyte-Motherboard-RCA-S-PDIF-12CR1-1SPINO-11R-cable-/230491634631#vi-content.

If you decided to just use the USB output for audio, then you would not need the bracket.
If you did USB to receiver, you would want to get a USB DAC ($52).

I'm thinking the best setup for you would be an external USB DAC and headphone amplifier setup.
you can buy a separate DAC and a separate headphone amplifier, or buy all in one USB-DAC-amp.

Right now I think the Hifimediy Sabre USB DAC for $52 is a great value.

You can get a no name "Made in China" single tube headphone amplifier for $50-$95
Fiio E09 ($95) or E09K ($109) solid state head amp.
O2 (Objective 2) headphone amplifier for $155, solid state
Little Dot MKIII tube headphone amp. for around $240

A combo  (USB-DAC-Amp) like the NFB-12.1 for around $250, dual DAC chips, solid state.

You also might find something good (and used) on the Head-Fi "Amplifier for Sale" thread.

Nov 1, 2012 at 5:13 AM Post #5 of 12
I cannot say much about tube amps, but for SS, my vote goes to the O2.

Nov 1, 2012 at 1:45 PM Post #6 of 12
Quote:

If you decided to just use the USB output for audio, then you would not need the bracket.
If you did USB to receiver, you would want to get a USB DAC ($52).

I'm thinking the best setup for you would be an external USB DAC and headphone amplifier setup.
you can buy a separate DAC and a separate headphone amplifier, or buy all in one USB-DAC-amp.

How much a crime would i be committing if I simply bought an amp and ran it from my onboard audio input (would use RCA-3.5mm cable like http://www.monoprice.com/products/product.asp?c_id=102&cp_id=10218&cs_id=1021815&p_id=5598&seq=1&format=2).
ie. computer -> asgard -> HD650s

Is the sound quality of my mobo that much worse than a $50 standalone DAC? From what I've been reading the order of importance in terms of sound quality is as follows: headphones > amp > audio file quality > source. 

Nov 1, 2012 at 2:39 PM Post #7 of 12
Quote:

How much a crime would i be committing if I simply bought an amp and ran it from my on-board audio input (would use RCA-3.5mm cable like http://www.monoprice.com/products/product.asp?c_id=102&cp_id=10218&cs_id=1021815&p_id=5598&seq=1&format=2).
ie. computer -> asgard -> HD650s

Is the sound quality of my mobo that much worse than a $50 standalone DAC? From what I've been reading the order of importance in terms of sound quality is as follows: headphones > amp > audio file quality > source. 

Headphone>Amp>Audio File Quality>source, sounds about right

As I have no idea on what DAC chip is built into your motherboard, it's hard so say what the sound quality difference would be.
Usually motherboard makers use the lowest costing DAC chip they can get away with. But that EVGA is a very expensive motherboard, so it might come with a decent DAC chip.
You can run you amplifier from the motherboard's green 3.5mm socket.
In the future you can always add a an external DAC.

Nov 2, 2012 at 12:02 AM Post #8 of 12
Finally made the plunge after almost a year of flip flopping between amp/dac combos and standalones, diys, used deals, etc. Ordered the Asgard, and it should be here, along with my 650 drivers/grills within a week
atsmile.gif

Thanks for the help purple, we'll see how the onboard sound works for now, if not I'll grab an external DAC like you said.  Proton, the reason I went with the Asgard over the O2 (my other top choice), was cause I wanted to see how the warmth of the asgard compliments the hd650s.  I don't want them to "veiled" or dark, so the o2 might not be right for me.

Nov 2, 2012 at 3:06 AM Post #9 of 12
Quote:
Finally made the plunge after almost a year of flip flopping between amp/dac combos and standalones, diys, used deals, etc. Ordered the Asgard, and it should be here, along with my 650 drivers/grills within a week
atsmile.gif

Thanks for the help purple, we'll see how the onboard sound works for now, if not I'll grab an external DAC like you said.  Proton, the reason I went with the Asgard over the O2 (my other top choice), was cause I wanted to see how the warmth of the asgard compliments the hd650s.  I don't want them to "veiled" or dark", so the o2 might not be right for me.

You might want to consider getting the UD100 for just a DAC if cost is an issue.  I've not heard it though, so asking HeadphoneAddict might be a great idea.

Dec 20, 2012 at 9:44 PM Post #10 of 12
whats your impression of the Asgard with the 650s

Dec 22, 2012 at 3:06 AM Post #12 of 12
Quote:
whats your impression of the Asgard with the 650s

Quote:
Listening to the Asgard/HD650 right now. Very nice.

Very nice indeed.  Month and a half into the pair I'm still loving them just as much as I did the first week I put them on. Scratch that, I love them even more now... they really have exceeded my expectations.  The asgard is my first real amp mind you, so I've had the 600s unamped for years and god knows what I've been missing.  

I have NO idea what people are talking about when they say the hd650s sound dark, veiled, or slow - I've experiened none of these.  I usually mess around with EQ when listening to other cans, but I wouldn't dare to mess with the sound of these, its near perfect to me.  If I had to choose something to nitpick it would probably be soundstage, or maybe a tiny bit more bass presence and extension.  But like I said neither are poor enough to be problematic, they sound pretty damn amazing.  Really surprised at how great they sound with electronic music.  I would have thought them to sound amazing with classical or jazz, but they really do stand out when listening to edm in comparison.  Massive attack, trentemoller, infected mushroom... just.... 
atsmile.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back