Best amp for Beyerdynamic T1
Mar 1, 2015 at 10:49 AM Post #181 of 214
Thanks for the heads up JamieMcC regarding NJC Audio http://www.njc-audio.co.uk/html/headphone_amplifier.html

A refreshingly straight forward and rather intriguing approach they employ when it comes to advertising and selling their products. No denying they appear to be great value for money and like you say if NJC could make some custom mods (probably not to difficult for them as they manufacture almost everything in house) to their existing amp then it may very well be the great sounding, reasonably affordable, versatile headphone amp that l am looking for.

I struggled to find much online feedback for their Head Amp save for this little taster here on Head-Fi http://www.head-fi.org/t/615328/review-of-the-njc-audio-reference-dac-and-monitor-ii-amp
Anyways, going to drop them an email tonight and see what they say.

Also thanks for the PM earlier. Contacted that chap regarding the Taurus MKII and am now waiting on a reply
popcorn.gif

Kind regards,

BangforBuck.

Mar 2, 2015 at 9:17 AM Post #182 of 214
Thanks for the info Chodi.

I have been doing quite a bit of research into the Taurus MKII and for the life of me l have struggled to find any directly negative feedback!

When l first thought about buying a new Head Amp to team with the T1 / D7100 & Yulong DA8 my prerequisite was to find something that sounds great, is reasonably affordable and above all, is versatile. For me the Auralic Taurus MKII sat on the fringe of those requisites due to it's higher price bracket. However, the more time l spend researching and poking under the bonnet of it's many reviews, the more l start to realise just what great value it really might be. Luckily JamieMcC spied one for sale in the UK and kindly sent me the link. Unfortunately the seller has an agreement with another buyer at present but said agreement comes to a close at the end of this week. If his current buyer falls through than l will have no hesitation in pulling the trigger and making the purchase.

On the flip side, if the buyer push's through with the purchase then it is always good to have alternative options. I had never heard of the Gustard H10 amp until you mentioned it in your reply. By all accounts it appears to be very similar to the V200 and from what folk say it may even improve slightly on that design. I will carry on reading about peoples impressions of the H10 but one things for sure, it certainly appears to be good value for money.

Thanks again for your recommendations and valuable impressions guys, it really is appreciated.

Kind regards,

BangforBuck. 

Mar 19, 2015 at 6:35 PM Post #183 of 214
Hey, Jamie..
I am based in the UK and saw your post regarding using NJC Audio's Monitor II amp for the T1. 
Are these tube amps, though?
I am coming from an O2/ODAC combo and I am thinking of getting an amp for the T1 such as your recommendation or the Bottlehead amps.
In that regard, I am still confused between the Bottlehead Sex and Crack, could you please enlighten me?
I usually listen to Metallica, some modern mainstream music, and sometimes Kpop, if that helps.
Thank you so much!

Mar 19, 2015 at 7:07 PM Post #184 of 214
  Hey, Jamie..
I am based in the UK and saw your post regarding using NJC Audio's Monitor II amp for the T1. 
Are these tube amps, though?
I am coming from an O2/ODAC combo and I am thinking of getting an amp for the T1 such as your recommendation or the Bottlehead amps.
In that regard, I am still confused between the Bottlehead Sex and Crack, could you please enlighten me?
I usually listen to Metallica, some modern mainstream music, and sometimes Kpop, if that helps.
Thank you so much!

Hi  the NJC is solid state the Bottlehead gear is tube.

Both the Crack and Sex are nice amps for the T1

head over to http://www.head-fi.org/t/683012/bottlehead-amplifier-discussion-comparison-thread-crack-sex-mainline page 1 and you will find Loquah's reviews of the Bottlehead amps think he used T1's for his review. The review are very much the same experience I have had with the amps and much better written than anything I could cobble together.

The stock Crack is just ok with the T1 and good value but the T1 are capable of a lot more finesse the Crack can get their and is amazing but the extra cost of modifications and premium tubes required to do so take it up to around the same price as the Sex. The Sex has without a doubt has some advantages over the Crack mainly its versatility to use with a wider range of headphone and also speakers its sublime with a pair of Fostex FX120 I have set up for near field listening. Sound staging and resolution are in at a totally different level with the Sex. While the midrange on the a hot rodded Crack with top tier tubes just so nice.

Check out his review of the Crack Sex and also the Bottlehead Mainline which is their reference TOTL headphone amp ( I'm waiting for mine to be delivered
atsmile.gif
).

Mar 20, 2015 at 7:33 AM Post #185 of 214
Thanks for your reply, Jamie!
From the sounds of it, you'd recommend the Bottlehead Sex over the Monitor II, then?
Since you are based in the UK, I was wondering about how you got about about the logistics of obtaining the Bottlehead Sex here from the US.
Do you have any experience with the the available Little Dot models readily available here? Would they match the performance of the Sex though?

Mar 20, 2015 at 8:50 AM Post #186 of 214
From the sounds of it, you'd recommend the Bottlehead Sex over the Monitor II, then?
Since you are based in the UK, I was wondering about how you got about about the logistics of obtaining the Bottlehead Sex here from the US.
Do you have any experience with the the available Little Dot models readily available here? Would they match the performance of the Sex though?

i'm using a LD mkiii with my t1, and love the sound

Mar 20, 2015 at 11:03 AM Post #187 of 214

The Bottle head Sex is very good with the T1 but shipping and import fees add perhaps another £80ish to the cost
I have not heard the NJC Monitor II but seriously looked into buying one a couple of years back and everybody had heaps of praise for it since building and modding the Bottlehead amps its helped give me a understanding that quality of parts is very important and the NJC is packed with really nice components they come up used every now and then for around the £250 mark.

Another British amp that springs to mind is the Icon Audio HP8 MKII very well regarded and said to have great synergy with the T1's they also regularly turn up second hand around £300 look out for ones which have been factory upgraded with Jenson capacitors.

http://www.iconaudio.com/portfolio-item/icon-audio-hp8-mkii/

John Grandberg 's absolute favourite pairing was with the Beyerdynamic T1

http://www.innerfidelity.com/content/icon-audio-hp8-mk2-tube-headphone-amplifier

Mar 20, 2015 at 12:12 PM Post #188 of 214
I almost forgot to mention this one which is particularly plentiful and easy to find in the UK and at around  £50-£100 it probably offers about the best bang for buck you can buy for running T1's  

On top of that its a drop dead gorgeous amp that oozes quality with its thick solid alloy front panel, bass, treble and balance controls, remote control  multiple inputs its also a super little speaker amp!

Its the teac AH 500 or 500i  I haven't listened to mine for a while but have just unplugged the Sex and am listening to the T1's with it now and its a good budget option.

http://www.head-fi.org/t/93229/teac-a-h500

Mar 20, 2015 at 2:01 PM Post #190 of 214
  Hi

How would you describe the sound of Teac with the t1s?
I was looking for a cheap amplifier with neutral and detailed sound?
Do you think this would do?

Thanks a lot

Hi, well I am still taping my toes listening to it, skipping through some of my favourite tracks it definitely has detail in my own system. I would not say its the most neutral sounding amp but not far into warm territory either just ever so slightly warm so notes and vocal have a little warmth and density in tone to them. The top end treble which can often be problematic is reasonably polite. It does have the treble control so you can always back it off a tad if required I don't find it causing any excessive sibilance on tracks that I have know can be problematic in the past and don't find the need to back the treble off myself. 

The Teac's has two main weakness for more me

1 its presentation  is it has a more intimate presentation than I like and its sound stage at times can feel a little congested. Bear in mind I am comparing to a seriously tweaked Bottlehead Sex fitted with Mundorf Silver oil capacitors which cost more than a Teac all on their own! Sound stage and imaging separation are just insanely good with them in the Sex.

2 Noise floor, I can occasionally hear a faint noise floor when the volumes turned up higher. But I am not sure if this may be just my set up, it sounds maybe more like mains hum and is only just audible occasionally in the gaps between tracks and not while music is playing. So probably a bit of cable re routing may defeat it. 

Just had a look at the recent sold listings on ebay £50-£75! If on a budget or for something as a stop gap its a great option to for serious consideration imho. Another advantage is it would be easy enough to flick on with out losing a bundle off cash in the process. 

Mar 20, 2015 at 2:16 PM Post #191 of 214

Hi, well I am still taping my toes listening to it, skipping through some of my favourite tracks it definitely has detail in my own system. I would not say its the most neutral sounding amp but not far into warm territory either just ever so slightly warm so notes and vocal have a little warmth and density in tone to them. The top end treble which can often be problematic is reasonably polite. It does have the treble control so you can always back it off a tad if required I don't find it causing any excessive sibilance on tracks that I have know can be problematic in the past and don't find the need to back the treble off myself. 

The Teac's has two main weakness for more me

1 its presentation  is it has a more intimate presentation than I like and its sound stage at times can feel a little congested. Bear in mind I am comparing to a seriously tweaked Bottlehead Sex fitted with Mundorf Silver oil capacitors which cost more than a Teac all on their own! Sound stage and imaging separation are just insanely good with them in the Sex.

2 Noise floor, I can occasionally hear a faint noise floor when the volumes turned up higher. But I am not sure if this may be just my set up, it sounds maybe more like mains hum and is only just audible occasionally in the gaps between tracks and not while music is playing. So probably a bit of cable re routing may defeat it. 

Just had a look at the recent sold listings on ebay £50-£75! If on a budget or for something as a stop gap its a great option to for serious consideration imho. Another advantage is it would be easy enough to flick on with out losing a bundle off cash in the process. 

OK thanks for your help

Best regards

Mar 20, 2015 at 4:10 PM Post #192 of 214
Dear Jay,
Thanks for your reply!

I feel that with the SS O2/ODAC combo, the bass presence on Metallica and other rock songs, or main stream music is sorta there, but not enough in quantity..
Will having the LD MKIII help boost the bass presence?
Thanks!

Apr 19, 2015 at 8:11 PM Post #193 of 214
I am trying to decide on whether I have reasonable grounds to look for a solid state amp for my T1's and HD650. I have been told they are better suited to Valve Amps and I do have a Crack Amp with Speedball (still to be installed). I wouldn't want to spend more than $500 I am guessing. 

Anyone have a recommendation? I listen to mostly pop and easy listening type stuff. 

I also have the O2 Amp. I have the Schiit Bifrost DAC.

Apr 20, 2015 at 1:45 PM Post #194 of 214
  I am trying to decide on whether I have reasonable grounds to look for a solid state amp for my T1's and HD650. I have been told they are better suited to Valve Amps and I do have a Crack Amp with Speedball (still to be installed). I wouldn't want to spend more than $500 I am guessing. 

Anyone have a recommendation? I listen to mostly pop and easy listening type stuff. 

I also have the O2 Amp. I have the Schiit Bifrost DAC.

Speaking from experience you would notice some decent improvements with your T1's by upgrading the stock volume pot and replacing the electrolytic output caps with film ones, installing a choke and replacing the last electrolytic capacitor in the power supply again with a film capacitor.  I really thought the T1's scaled amazingly well when I carried out the same modifications.

What tubes are you running in the Crack?

Volume pot $30
Film signal capacitors $60ish (Solen, JFX)
Choke $20
Film power supply cap $30

Finding anything off the shelf within your $500 budget that runs film output caps might be a challenge. Have you looked at the Dsavitsk Torpedo 
http://www.beezar.com/catalog/product_info.php?products_id=153

My two Cracks

Apr 21, 2015 at 4:34 AM Post #195 of 214

Speaking from experience you would notice some decent improvements with your T1's by upgrading the stock volume pot and replacing the electrolytic output caps with film ones, installing a choke and replacing the last electrolytic capacitor in the power supply again with a film capacitor.  I really thought the T1's scaled amazingly well when I carried out the same modifications.

What tubes are you running in the Crack?

Volume pot $30
Film signal capacitors $60ish (Solen, JFX)
Choke $20
Film power supply cap $30

Finding anything off the shelf within your $500 budget that runs film output caps might be a challenge. Have you looked at the Dsavitsk Torpedo 
http://www.beezar.com/catalog/product_info.php?products_id=153

My two Cracks

Hi There!

Thanks. I was more asking about whether I should consider a SS Amp to go with my Tube Amp.

Are the two pictures above, one stock and the other with the modifications you have recommended? I am reluctant to mess with my Crack as I am pretty inexperienced and would then not know what troubleshooting to undertake if it went wrong, or know what voltage checks or resistance checks to run before I powered it up. I can build things, I am reasonable with a soldering iron, but I lack the electronics knowledge beyond that. If I had an idiots guide I might be able to do it.

Did you not put a speedball into your one, you just did the mods you mentioned? Or does it have both?

I am running whatever tubes came with the unit. I am happy to consider changing the tubes, as I don't think much can go wrong there. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back