Best 5.1 / 7.1 headphones !?
Sep 20, 2010 at 5:11 PM Post #31 of 89

Quote:
Well you are just not listening I'll leave it like that.
I have used 5.1 headset for a year on gears of war and used mixamp plus hd 600 for 4 months. what I can tell you is that I returned to 5.1 because at lower volumes I could hear where my enemies where. I also have a creative soundcard with cmss-3d which is better than dolby headphones. I have done lots of blind tests where my wife and I try to locate objects according to sound hint on a map, mostly gears of war. so I know what I am talking. 
It is like Vulgar says, it depends on what you want or what you like.

If you 'prefer' the sound of 5.1 phnoes, then you haven't heard a good set of stereo phones.

The upside of this is the decent phones will also be good for music, which something 5.1 headsets also suck at.

You won't get audiophile quality from those sources anyway, but that's not what they're for.

No matter how much money you throw at it, you don't get real 5.1 from headphones of any description. They are all overpriced bling and techno babble. 

Your 650s need a very good amp to deliver their potential in SQ and soundstage. If you were to amp them well, and play games through a PC on them, they would be equal or better to the 5.1 jobbies, plus do music far better than any of them.

There is little that is 'precise' about gaming. The SFX files are simple and the soundtracks often highly compressed. It doesn't take a high end stereo phone like the 650 to get the best positional audio out of gaming, in fact 650 would probably be overkill. If you 'crap yourself' on the headset it's far morel ikely the bass is over boosted to beef up the noises.

The guy I've bought all my gear form has been a competitive gamer for 15 years and has never bought a 5.1 headset in his life, as he knows the limitations of games files, the sources used, and where the returns in positional audio max out.

It's not a fair call to suggest that gaming requires oodles of cash and = higher returns.

Also who said anything about "so I know what I am talking".

Sep 20, 2010 at 5:18 PM Post #32 of 89
Seems like some are mistaking opinion for fact. Bottom line is we are merely trying to supply the OP with more opinions to aid in a decision. A budget would greatly assist with this.

Sep 20, 2010 at 5:19 PM Post #33 of 89
Well during months I used a mixamp plus Pro ject head box se II plus HD600.
Creative extigy plus hpa2 gives me more advantage over dolby heaphones setup. I have also an audio technica m50 and creative extigy plus hpa2 gives me more information. that is it. end from my part.

Sep 20, 2010 at 5:35 PM Post #34 of 89
Wowsers.  Hi, I"m new to this whole headphone thang, and I've been researching 5.1 headphones today, after deciding that I need a set to enable me to play MW2 on the PS3 at night, once the missus has gone to bed.

I have a full 5.1 setup, so would be looking to plug the headphones directly into my surround sound amp, as all my consoles etc run through that amp.

After reading lots online I'm still utterly confused about what to get.

I'm kinda sniffing in the direction of the Astro mixamp: http://www.astrogaming.co.uk/products.asp?id=2670  coupled with one of these:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Beyer-Dynamic-DT990-Pro-Headphones/dp/B0011UB9CQ/ref=cm_cr_pr_product_top

or

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Beyerdynamic-DT770-PRO-Headset-OHM/dp/B0016MNAAI/ref=pd_cp_ce_2

However, I have no idea which is the best headset of those two, or if there is a better set for gaming in around the same price range?

I often game for hours on end, so need a comfy set, and would like something with decent bass, to give an immersive experience when things are getting blown up all over the place.

So, I have a few questions:

1.) What would people suggest in terms of headphones?
2.) Is the mixamp worth bothering with, or will it likely not offer any better positioning than using the headphones without?
3.) Would my Onkyo TSXR-608 surround sound amp be able to power either of the above headphones adequately, or would they need more amplification? (Or perhaps the mixamp offers the necessary extra amplification?)
4.) Would either of the above headphones work ok with my iPod, or would that need extra amplification?

Sorry for all the questions, but there's so much conflicting information online, so it's hard to digest it all and resolve an answer.

Sep 20, 2010 at 5:46 PM Post #35 of 89
1) DT 880 32 Ohm. Widely regarded as one of the best for gaming around here; AD700's are much cheaper and a great alternative if you want to save. If you want to avoid upgrade-itis; for for the 880 32 ohms.
2) Absolutely. I use with with my PS3 for MW2. You will not be let down. Say hello to amazing wallbang killcams.
3) I would recommend 32 Ohm DT 880 for best synergy with the Mixamp. Higher ohm versions will definitely need more power.
4) Long as you get the 32 Ohm version (Or 80 if you insist on the 770's) you should be alright straight out of the iPod.

Sep 20, 2010 at 5:49 PM Post #36 of 89

Quote:
Wowsers.  Hi, I"m new to this whole headphone thang, and I've been researching 5.1 headphones today, after deciding that I need a set to enable me to play MW2 on the PS3 at night, once the missus has gone to bed.

I have a full 5.1 setup, so would be looking to plug the headphones directly into my surround sound amp, as all my consoles etc run through that amp.

After reading lots online I'm still utterly confused about what to get.

I'm kinda sniffing in the direction of the Astro mixamp: http://www.astrogaming.co.uk/products.asp?id=2670  coupled with one of these:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Beyer-Dynamic-DT990-Pro-Headphones/dp/B0011UB9CQ/ref=cm_cr_pr_product_top

or

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Beyerdynamic-DT770-PRO-Headset-OHM/dp/B0016MNAAI/ref=pd_cp_ce_2

However, I have no idea which is the best headset of those two, or if there is a better set for gaming in around the same price range?

I often game for hours on end, so need a comfy set, and would like something with decent bass, to give an immersive experience when things are getting blown up all over the place.

So, I have a few questions:

1.) What would people suggest in terms of headphones?
2.) Is the mixamp worth bothering with, or will it likely not offer any better positioning than using the headphones without?
3.) Would my Onkyo TSXR-608 surround sound amp be able to power either of the above headphones adequately, or would they need more amplification? (Or perhaps the mixamp offers the necessary extra amplification?)
4.) Would either of the above headphones work ok with my iPod, or would that need extra amplification?

Sorry for all the questions, but there's so much conflicting information online, so it's hard to digest it all and resolve an answer.

1. Various people have diffrent views
2. No point unless the headphones are Dolby too, even if they are... Still not worth it.
3. all of them would be able to driven of a av receiver... But first have a look at this: http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/129704/difference-between-home-receivers-and-headphone-amps
4. All of them would work with your ipod...

Which ever headphones you go with they will benefit from amplifiers unless they are low impedance headphones?

Sep 20, 2010 at 5:54 PM Post #37 of 89
I strongly disagree about the mixamp not being worth it. The 3D positioning is superb; and kind of the point if the cans do not have 5.1.

And even low impedance phones benefit from amps; just much less improvement.

Sep 20, 2010 at 5:56 PM Post #38 of 89
Yikes!  Thanks for both of your input, but again it seems to conflict.

Maltar, why do you think the mixamp wouldn't be of use for any headphones?

Riku, why do you think those are better than the two headphones I suggested?  TBH, I don't even know the difference between the two I suggested, so I'm all ears to the differences and benefits/drawbacks.  Are the lower numbers generally regarded as higher in the range, or vice versa?!  They all seem around the same price, so is the only difference the resistance?

Also, how does the mixamp compare to something like this: http://www.1up.com/do/blogEntry?publicUserId=5443695&bId=7807159

Another option I've sene is this: http://www.iheadphones.co.uk/headphones/23700/Ultrasone+HFI+780.htm

However, I'm not sure how that compares to what I've already just suggested?

Sep 20, 2010 at 6:06 PM Post #39 of 89
Less ohms means less need of amplification. If you don't have enough power you wont get a lot of volume; you could crank the volume all the way up and it'll sound like it's only halfway.

Honestly, I have not had the pleasure of trying the 770's or 990's, however I was researching these cans as well for my mixamp setup and the 880's seemed to have the most collective praise from my searches; I can say they definitely deliver. I suppose the semi-open design allows it to benefit from the best of both worlds, the 770's being close and 990's open. The AD700's are hard to beat for about $88, but if cost isn't an issue then definitely the 880's.

If you end up not liking them I'll give up Head-Fi.

Sep 20, 2010 at 6:10 PM Post #40 of 89

Quote:

Riku, why do you think those are better than the two headphones I suggested?  TBH, I don't even know the difference between the two I suggested, so I'm all ears to the differences and benefits/drawbacks.  Are the lower numbers generally regarded as higher in the range, or vice versa?!  They all seem around the same price, so is the only difference the resistance?

Also, how does the mixamp compare to something like this: http://www.1up.com/do/blogEntry?publicUserId=5443695&bId=7807159

Please,Please,Please read the other post i have posted earleir in this thread....

Widgets like decoders, adding delay, echo and reverb effects isn't the same thing; they are there to market them and jack the price up - you cannot replicate 5 separate channels and a sub, with a couple of cheap, extra drivers crammed into an ear-cup. They don't do true sound-staging any better than stereo.

at least going with stereo phones, you'll get a lot better product for your (less) money that will sound far better for music as well, when you're not gaming.

Sep 20, 2010 at 6:10 PM Post #41 of 89
Hah!  I'm sure I'll like them.  I currently have a fairly decent 5.1 AV setup, so I want something favourably comparable to that, but without annoying the girlfriend or having to turn it down to a whisper when she goes to bed.

I didn't notice that one pair was closed and another open, so I guess that's one difference, as well as the resistance.

Sep 20, 2010 at 6:14 PM Post #42 of 89

Quote:

Please,Please,Please read the other post i have posted earleir in this thread....

Widgets like decoders, adding delay, echo and reverb effects isn't the same thing; they are there to market them and jack the price up - you cannot replicate 5 separate channels and a sub, with a couple of cheap, extra drivers crammed into an ear-cup. They don't do true sound-staging any better than stereo.

at least going with stereo phones, you'll get a lot better product for your (less) money that will sound far better for music as well, when you're not gaming.

Sorry, you've lost me now.  I only suggested a couple of Dolby Headphone amps, I've not mentioned any headphones with multiple drivers.

Or are you just saying that you don't think the mixamp will add anything to the gaming experience in terms of positioning?  (Bearing in mind that I'd be using it with some regular 2 driver cans.)

Sep 20, 2010 at 6:17 PM Post #43 of 89

Quote:
Sorry, you've lost me now.  I only suggested a couple of Dolby Headphone amps, I've not mentioned any headphones with multiple drivers.

Or are you just saying that you don't think the mixamp will add anything to the gaming experience in terms of positioning?  (Bearing in mind that I'd be using it with some regular 2 driver cans.)

Whoops...

Sorry that post wasn't meant for this thread...

"Or are you just saying that you don't think the mixamp will add anything to the gaming experience in terms of positioning?  (Bearing in mind that I'd be using it with some regular 2 driver cans.)"

Yes

Also please read this thread form the start, my post with many others will help to understand this better...

Sep 20, 2010 at 6:19 PM Post #44 of 89
The mixamp and jvc su-dh1 does the same job that is downmix 6 channels into 2 channels with virtual surround. The mixamp has an advantage as it has support for online chat, which gives you possibility to have the right volume between game sound and chat sound volumes.

People who has mixamp are happy with it. I personally prefer 5.1 multiple drivers headsets but I didn't sell my mixamp and probably never will.
Another thing that 5.1 multiple drivers can give you is the bass that you want as you can increase or decrease bass channel (sub woofer) alone.

Quote:

Another option I've sene is this: http://www.iheadphones.co.uk/headphones/23700/Ultrasone+HFI+780.htm

However, I'm not sure how that compares to what I've already just suggested?

Sep 20, 2010 at 6:19 PM Post #45 of 89
I think he's still on a roll from the discussion prior to your entry; which by the way, welcome to Head-Fi!
smily_headphones1.gif

Get the Mixamp, enter a private match with a friend and have him run in circles around you firing into the air. You will fall in love~

Users who are viewing this thread

Back