Beoplay E8
May 23, 2018 at 8:05 AM Post #301 of 581
I think I might be that Samsung fan member your talking about, lol. at the time the iconx 2018 was the true wireless to beat, great controls, good sound, good connection, good battery life. right now though I think Jabra is killing the game with the elite 65t they have everything minus touch sensitive controls, but the physical controls the Jabras have are great no problems there, the sound was very, very good to me. I only returned them only because I wanted the jabra 65t "active" version which has the much better water and dust proofing rating. I still think the iconx 2018 are a worthy purchase, the only thing really the Jabra 65t has over the iconx is the sound quality and full eq. Samsung sound is very good but not great, samsung does a lot of updates and adds features all the time, will see if they have it in the future. I also like the the Jabra elite sport but you have to work to get the right tips for them to be comfortable which I found the right combo for me, they sound great, good battery life, bullet proof, its just the controls are little hard to press with finger tips, you gotta use your finger nail, but I like them and they are in my rotation, I only use true wireless these days. I have always been interested in the e8 but that price is a little high.

Last edited:
May 26, 2018 at 9:54 AM Post #302 of 581
Long train journey today. The E8, both left and right unit, where still playing after 4 hours 20 minutes when the trip finished.

May 27, 2018 at 7:35 AM Post #304 of 581
Hi,
Actually I was having a little jape sorry. I have a slightly strange sense of humour.
I was reading earlier in the thread where that member jumped in about the IconX, again apparently, and was once again admonished.

I do own both presently but will be returning the E8 I think. I actually feel the reproduction from the B&0's to be more technically accurate. It is better balanced, greater clarity, more genuine, less coloured than the bass driven IconX IMO.
Had the B&O's given me a comfortable ride straight off my decision may have been different.
I updated them immeadiately after connecting, which took several attempts, not the great problem I've been reading about though. So all ok at that point, then I come to operate the touch pads, thats where it all goes wonky and most frustrating.
I could play/pause, switch to pass throughm skip forward no problem but try as I may not backwards. The volume control was is so laggy I have to keep my finger there for about 4 secs before it responds, I'm a patient chap but expect better response. The volume level is a tad low for me, not much but just enough to leave me wanting, plus I hate to have my volume slider maxed out, a personal thing that, I like a little headroom, no doubt doesn't apply so much today, never the less.

Now the IconX is not as good reproduction IMO. It's balance, clarity and detail is lacking, it's bass heavy taking away from the lower mids. To be honest i cant really say too much about either, im used to much better from wired earphones 5 x the price, so what I expected is what I got tbh. .... The IconX has functioned perfectly however, touch pads precise and responsive, the odd crackle or two but on the whole pretty stable. They fit and hold in place well, I've found a tip from collection that for me does a better job than stock. I found the music more fun, even though below the E8 quality, and of course they just work, no hassle. If I'm going to take a large drop in performance anyway, good consistent functionality and fun is what I'll take when I'm lightweight hiking and camping! ....... When I'm car or short hike camping it's Chord and Noble that entertains.
That's my personal reasoning.

Oh, additional, I forgot to say the source was my Samsung Galaxy S8. Qobuz streaming and Onkyo playing stored flac files.

Sorry for quoting myself folks but there's been a change.

I've changed my mind and done a u turn, this audio enthusiast is for turning! :)
I decided to persevere with the B&O E8, I've developed the nack so to speak. Although it is slower to respond than the IconX it is consistent, no drop outs, actually (due to the more sophisticated Bluetooth no doubt) it performs better holding on to the signal through walls and at greater distance than the IconX.
This is of no importance to me, it will never be far from my SG S8, but good to know for some no doubt.
No breakup between ears and I'm watching my TV at this very moment, no lag/lip sync issue, absolutely bang on. The IconX did show very slight lag but nothing to ruin the viewing experience.

I've not ventured outside yet I will report back on that. I'm away to the woods in a few days for a few nights out, unless the deer have taken up Amateur Radio, I suspect not, I'll not know if they are susceptible to RFI.

Reason for this perserverence should be obvious to those on here, it's audio quality of course !! ....... I just couldn't pass that up, it does outshine the IconX easily to my ears. Greater clarity, the balance is better, bass is well controlled and quite well defined. Mid range I've not listened to enough voice yet to comment just yet. Having said that, I listened to Murry Perahia, Goldberg Variations, last night lying in bed, piano sounds very nice.
For completely wireless BT earphones I'm quite impressed. My only other venture into BT was with the B&W P7, of course they are over ears and better overall sound quality.

Oh I forgot to add. I got over the slightly low volume by going through the personalisation routine in the S8 sound settings.
It's lifted the volume a tad overall, and has created an EQ curve to compensate a little for my natural loss in frequency range/frequencies.
I run this routine several times, strictly answering accurately whether I could hear tones or not. In the end I found that answering "no" to very faint, (im talking so faint your not sure) recognition of tones gave the best results for me.
And as I said, it has increased volume level, only slightly but enough to make me happy.

I'm glad I stuck at it folks, nice little units these E8

Last edited:
May 29, 2018 at 1:22 AM Post #305 of 581
Just bought these and I have 2 questions:

1. They don’t turn off when no music is streaming- mine have been on/showing the static whote light all night.

2. The “ambient” transparency option results in no sound through them.

May 29, 2018 at 1:55 AM Post #306 of 581
Hi,
1. Mine does turn off after around 10 min, not sure the exact timing.
2. Ambience is the most transparent mod, all the surroundings are coming through, no music heard.

See if they are updated and correctly paired, do a total reset, keep both touched until you get red light and start pairing again.

May 29, 2018 at 1:58 AM Post #307 of 581
Just bought these and I have 2 questions:

1. They don’t turn off when no music is streaming- mine have been on/showing the static whote light all night.

2. The “ambient” transparency option results in no sound through them.

As far as I’m aware they only turn off when returned to the case or when the battery runs out. You adjust the ambient behaviour in the smartphone app to one of 3 levels

May 29, 2018 at 3:14 AM Post #308 of 581
Strange one person says they turn off and another not. Mine are on the latest firmware (5.6.0) and the white light stayed on all night even though I had no music or any audio being streamed. I even changed the audio output on my iPhone 7 Plus to the iPhone. Also, this morning when I tried to play something through them after they were on all night if wouldn’t play through them even though they were selected on the iPhone. I had to put them in the case and take them out again. Very strange. This happen to anyone else?

May 29, 2018 at 3:42 AM Post #309 of 581
Mine do turn off if there is no music or other activity for x minutes. Sometimes it's not good, as I was driving (rush hour) and had no time to go back to my phone and pair again. They didn't just reconnect.
My light does not stay on, just blinks a few times when started/connected. I don't remember what firmware version was on.
On the other hand, on my Samsung I had lots of issues with them at first, I even asked for help at BO support. No issues on my Huawei. No issues on my wife's iPhone. Now they work fine on all of them. The app used to literally drive me crazy, maybe only one in ten times it worked.

May 29, 2018 at 9:00 AM Post #313 of 581
Yes, I mean use the plug only from the charger with the E8 cable. There is no power issues to worry about I gather?

You can use any powered usb outlet

Users who are viewing this thread

Back