Beoplay E8
May 12, 2018 at 3:16 PM Post #286 of 581
I'd like to check that one out.

Just installed the update. Sounds great. This is one satisfying true wireless IEM.

Last edited:
May 12, 2018 at 6:37 PM Post #287 of 581
May 13, 2018 at 9:45 PM Post #289 of 581
Comfort tips are GOOD!

May 14, 2018 at 7:12 PM Post #290 of 581
I just bought a pair of E8 a week ago, so here is my humble review:

The weakest points are:

The software is very clumsy, slow and sometimes it doesn't detect the earbuds.
The controls are a little bit confusing, because you don't have feedback for your tactile "gestures".
I really hate that it doesn't show up how much battery is left.
Just a pair of two comply tips. For the money, it should pack at least three pairs or so.
Sometimes (at least two or three times per hour, the left bud seems to lose contact or something, cause it doesn't sound .)

The strong points are:

The premium feel (for what you are paying for, this is a must). It's a pleasure just remove them from the case and wear them. Also they are very stylish.
The video performance is very good (lag between video and audio).
Sound quality (you just have to tweak it to your taste, before use it).

If you compare them with the Bose Wireless Free, the Bose are easier to use (because physical buttons, even they are very cramped), also the Bose's sound is better. You don't neeed to tweak anything just wear them and that's it. Too bad they are not stylish at all (so big and weird looking).

In balance, the experience is positive, but I think they need to get better. Way better.

Maybe you just have to wait till the next generation of beoplays. For now, there's nothing else much better than this.

May 15, 2018 at 1:50 AM Post #291 of 581
I just bought a pair of E8 a week ago, so here is my humble review:

The weakest points are:

The software is very clumsy, slow and sometimes it doesn't detect the earbuds.
The controls are a little bit confusing, because you don't have feedback for your tactile "gestures".
I really hate that it doesn't show up how much battery is left.
Just a pair of two comply tips. For the money, it should pack at least three pairs or so.
Sometimes (at least two or three times per hour, the left bud seems to lose contact or something, cause it doesn't sound .)

The strong points are:

The premium feel (for what you are paying for, this is a must). It's a pleasure just remove them from the case and wear them. Also they are very stylish.
The video performance is very good (lag between video and audio).
Sound quality (you just have to tweak it to your taste, before use it).

If you compare them with the Bose Wireless Free, the Bose are easier to use (because physical buttons, even they are very cramped), also the Bose's sound is better. You don't neeed to tweak anything just wear them and that's it. Too bad they are not stylish at all (so big and weird looking).

In balance, the experience is positive, but I think they need to get better. Way better.

Maybe you just have to wait till the next generation of beoplays. For now, there's nothing else much better than this.

On my iPhone both the Beoplay app and the iPhone itself clearly show how much battery is left. I love the gestures rather than buttons.

May 15, 2018 at 2:58 AM Post #293 of 581
- Gestures are preferable to buttons, touch gestures may have a steeper learning curve but pressing on buttons drives the earpiece deeper into the ear, or dislodges them...I don't think anybody wants that.
- I haven't tried the Boses but they look huge and stick out hilariously when worn. The E8s don't exactly disappear into the ear but these are a bit more sleek, at least.
- Again, haven't tested out the Boses so I can't make any sound comparisons. I do own the Zolo Liberty+ and the E8s are a big step up. Bass is a little sloppy on the Zolos and most importantly the E8's carrying case is just magnificently built. I travel light during my daily commute to work so all I do is hook the case loop onto my belt and off I go. I also appreciate how the little divots for the earpieces go a little deeper than stock eartip sizing, which lets you experiment. The Zolo case is heavier and larger but it only fits stock eartips, which is infuriating design.
- On the topic of tips, I don't really care how many get included since I've plenty of spares lying about anyway (Have rolled Spinfits, Mandarines and the Mandarines work best for me. Complys kill the highs on whatever earpiece they get thrown on so these are DOA for me). That said, the unboxing experience, fit and finish and overall build quality are absolute top notch, which you'd expect when paying for the most expensive wireless in-ear currently available. A B&O product, through and through.

May 15, 2018 at 1:47 PM Post #295 of 581
Spiral dots are not that isolating. Final Audio E series tips isolate very well considering it's not a Comply or Olive. Of the Comply, I'm liking the small size comfort. Strange, because in many others, I'm a medium.

May 15, 2018 at 2:41 PM Post #296 of 581
I’m happily using large SpinFits

May 21, 2018 at 10:30 PM Post #298 of 581
Hi styks do you own both e8 and iconx 2018? If so can you describe in detail why you think this?

Last edited:
May 22, 2018 at 1:47 PM Post #299 of 581
My two cents

Before I bought the e8, I compared it with bose soundsport free and iconx. Iconx sounded ok, but didn't like the bass very much, without EQ sounded thin and if you tweak it, the low notes start to get muddy and distorted.

I think the bose sounded better of all three, but they look so hideous. Funny the quietcontrol 30 is even worst looking!!! That's why I choosed the e8. They are not perfect right out of the box, but as other suggested, you get the best result with other ear tips, and compared with the rest they look cool.

Another think I noticed it's that the left earbud runs out of battery faster than the right earbud, It's a huge difference, like an hour or so (I tested just to be sure).

May 22, 2018 at 8:16 PM Post #300 of 581
Hi styks do you own both e8 and iconx 2018? If so can you describe in detail why you think this?
Hi,
Actually I was having a little jape sorry. I have a slightly strange sense of humour.
I was reading earlier in the thread where that member jumped in about the IconX, again apparently, and was once again admonished.

I do own both presently but will be returning the E8 I think. I actually feel the reproduction from the B&0's to be more technically accurate. It is better balanced, greater clarity, more genuine, less coloured than the bass driven IconX IMO.
Had the B&O's given me a comfortable ride straight off my decision may have been different.
I updated them immeadiately after connecting, which took several attempts, not the great problem I've been reading about though. So all ok at that point, then I come to operate the touch pads, thats where it all goes wonky and most frustrating.
I could play/pause, switch to pass throughm skip forward no problem but try as I may not backwards. The volume control was is so laggy I have to keep my finger there for about 4 secs before it responds, I'm a patient chap but expect better response. The volume level is a tad low for me, not much but just enough to leave me wanting, plus I hate to have my volume slider maxed out, a personal thing that, I like a little headroom, no doubt doesn't apply so much today, never the less.

Now the IconX is not as good reproduction IMO. It's balance, clarity and detail is lacking, it's bass heavy taking away from the lower mids. To be honest i cant really say too much about either, im used to much better from wired earphones 5 x the price, so what I expected is what I got tbh. .... The IconX has functioned perfectly however, touch pads precise and responsive, the odd crackle or two but on the whole pretty stable. They fit and hold in place well, I've found a tip from collection that for me does a better job than stock. I found the music more fun, even though below the E8 quality, and of course they just work, no hassle. If I'm going to take a large drop in performance anyway, good consistent functionality and fun is what I'll take when I'm lightweight hiking and camping! ....... When I'm car or short hike camping it's Chord and Noble that entertains.
That's my personal reasoning.

Oh, additional, I forgot to say the source was my Samsung Galaxy S8. Qobuz streaming and Onkyo playing stored flac files.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back