Benefits of a Meat based diet
Aug 9, 2007 at 1:54 PM Post #18 of 55
Quote:

Originally Posted by Zorander /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I need fibres in my diet too. I want to have an easy time in the toilet, you know.
wink.gif

Priority 1 as far as I'm concerned. You definitely don't want to blow an O ring while sitting on the throne.

Aug 9, 2007 at 1:59 PM Post #19 of 55
Quote:

Originally Posted by ken36 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I I've been on Adkins pretty much since 1980. Once in a great while I'll pig out on a hot fudge sundae and the next day I will pay for it with sugar cravings. The reason that I stick to Adkins is that I feel much better. So, after 27 years, I'm a living testimonial to a high protein/fat and severely limited carb diet.

The only problem with Atkins diet is that you're sending your body into carbohydrate starvation mode and there are quite a few bad things associated with it.

I'm usually on a high protein diet as well, just not that extreme and I do have my regular carb intake, usually 2 pieces of dark rye bread per day. I love the protein diet, I eat all the meat I want, especially red meat like pork and beef, have a salad with it and I'm feeling great.

Aug 9, 2007 at 2:47 PM Post #20 of 55
Quote:

Originally Posted by ken36 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I I've been on Adkins pretty much since 1980. Once in a great while I'll pig out on a hot fudge sundae and the next day I will pay for it with sugar cravings. The reason that I stick to Adkins is that I feel much better. So, after 27 years, I'm a living testimonial to a high protein/fat and severely limited carb diet.

Agreed! Feeling better is a main reason for any diet, and I gotta admit; I feel a whole lot better when I keep to an Atkins "style" regimen. I do tend to limit the fats though.

My Wife tried it originally about three years ago and asked me to join for morale support. I've been happy with my new habits ever since. I just feel a whole lot better when I avoid the things that cause blood sugar to do silly things, and the digestive system to rebel.

Age may play a part of course. Call me F107-44.
wink.gif

....hey, -44 fits too! F107; F112, and FJ44, it's all good!

Aug 9, 2007 at 3:00 PM Post #22 of 55
I love meat, but I don't eat to excess. I've been on ye old low cal diet (with adequate protein/nutrients and exercise), and it's worked alright so far. Only issue is I no longer have the crazy energy reserves now that I eat smaller meals...

Aug 9, 2007 at 3:01 PM Post #23 of 55
That Atkins diet started me on bad habits. If you quit Atkins, you still want to eat pork fat and butter, which is bad idea in the quantities you get accustomed to eating on Atkins.

I think for most people, they need to concentrate on reducing portion sizes more so than anything. Once you get accustomed to eating less overall, then you can tweak by increasing veg/reducing meat, etc.

Aug 9, 2007 at 3:03 PM Post #24 of 55
Quote:

Originally Posted by jdimitri /img/forum/go_quote.gif
A good steak will beat anything

x2. lettuce is for rabbits. not people.

Aug 9, 2007 at 3:11 PM Post #25 of 55
Man, I could certainly handle all the meat (especially a rare striploin on a regular basis, sorry about my wallet)...

...but am I the only one that's completely addicted to carbs? I could literally survive on bread and water alone. Good bread, of course.

Aug 9, 2007 at 3:20 PM Post #26 of 55
Quote:

Originally Posted by Thelonious Monk /img/forum/go_quote.gif
i agree.

also, jpak, what happened to your avatar? so grim!

I like the look of most people's black and white avatars so I'm giving it a shot. I sort of changed it due to two turning points that happened recently (graduating med school and after three years settling on two headphones).

Quote:

Originally Posted by GlendaleViper /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Man, I could certainly handle all the meat (especially a rare striploin on a regular basis, sorry about my wallet)...

...but am I the only one that's completely addicted to carbs? I could literally survive on bread and water alone. Good bread, of course.

I'm with you there, good bread is hard to beat.

I love well balanced meals, something about enjoying food from every food group just tastes so good. Though my meat consumption recently has been sparse and mostly chicken or lamb.

Aug 9, 2007 at 3:26 PM Post #27 of 55
Buffalo meat is pretty amazing. Lower calorie and lower fat than beef, and tastes pretty much the same (I think buffalo burgers taste better, sometimes)

Aug 9, 2007 at 4:23 PM Post #28 of 55
Quote:

Originally Posted by fatcat28037 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
One of the benefits of eating meat is that while grilling burgers you are required to drink beer. In North Carolina I think its a law.

For that reason alone, I am packing my bags and heading for North Carolina lol.

Aug 9, 2007 at 5:16 PM Post #29 of 55
Quote:

Originally Posted by J-Pak /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I love well balanced meals, something about enjoying food from every food group just tastes so good. Though my meat consumption recently has been sparse and mostly chicken or lamb.

I really couldn't agree more. A wonderful steak with nothing else is just a slab of meat. Serve it with some grilled asparagus and other vegetables, and you've got a killer, decadent meal.

Prior to supper? Some nice cheese on good crackers and a glass of wine or beer (the fifth and sixth food groups), and you're all set.

God I miss my BBQ...
frown.gif

Aug 9, 2007 at 5:53 PM Post #30 of 55
I don't eat as many veggies as I should but I certainly balance the meat! Fish, chicken and of course a nice medium cooked red meat.

We usually try and have a balanced meal for dinner every night. Some kind of meat (tri-tip, NY strip, Filet or halibut, Mahi Mahi, Swordfish or chicken) with a veggie (corn, broccoli, green beans) and something from the starch family (garlic mashed potatoes, twice baked, rice pilaf, noodles, etc.).

People will argue benefits from both sides but like anything in life it's about balance... there are drawbacks when the scales are off kilter.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back