Benefits of a Meat based diet
Aug 9, 2007 at 8:42 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 55

grawk

Itinerant Miscreant
The main advantages of a meat based diet is you don't eat a lot of refined carbs, you get your nutrients pre-processed for you, and you get to be predator, instead of prey. I mean, come on, would you rather be the bunny or the eagle?

Plus, bacon tastes better than rice.

My cholesterol is down, I've lost 15 lbs of fat, put on 5 lbs of muscle, and feel all around better since switching to a cruelty enhanced diet.

Aug 9, 2007 at 8:56 AM Post #3 of 55
This post deserves repeating, but we really aren't designed to eat mostly meat. But then again, we aren't perfectly suited to eating 100% vegetables.

Are you on the Atkins diet? If so, eating that much fat and meat is only temporary. In fact nearly all successful, long term diets are nearly identical after the initial "rapid weight loss" phase. The common goal is reduce calorie intake, lose weight, then maintain your weight.

Far too many people dismiss perfectly valid diets as "fad" when they simply do not bother actually following the actual diet, or even find out what the whole diet is about.

---------------------------------------------------------

Quote:

Originally Posted by marvin /img/forum/go_quote.gif
http://www.beyondveg.com/billings-t/...-anat-1a.shtml

There's strong evidence going the other way too.

Actually, the evidence is most strong in indicating that we are more suited for eating insects.

"Insect Consumption by Chimps is Universal. Kortlandt [1984] also discusses insect consumption by chimps (p. 133):

Chimpanzees, on the other hand, spend a remarkable amount of time, mental effort and tool use on searching out insects and feeding on them in every place where they have been intensively studied. Hladik and Viroben (1974) have shown that this insect food is nutritionally important in order to compensate for a deficiency of certain amino acids in the plant foods, even in the rich environment of the Gabon rain-forest."

That might explain why I just love love love shell-"fish". Hmmm. I wouldn't be all that opposed to eating insects, since crab and lobster are really just larger cousins. Although you really can't just go outside eating insects, they are heavily tainted with chemicals from insecticides used.

-Ed

Aug 9, 2007 at 8:56 AM Post #4 of 55
Meat=methane gas=farts, anyone up to a good fart blast competition, dont get me wrong I love meat as much as the next carnivore, but when I hear Meat in food sense I think of , Farrrrrts

Beef, It's whats for dinner

Aug 9, 2007 at 9:06 AM Post #6 of 55
Quote:

Originally Posted by choomanchoo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Meat=methane gas=farts, anyone up to a good fart blast competition, dont get me wrong I love meat as much as the next carnivore, but when I hear Meat in food sense I think of , Farrrrrts

Beef, It's whats for dinner

Not all people fart the same. I can eat an entire porterhouse and have far fewer farts than a handful of black beans.

Beans, beans, the magic fruit.
tongue.gif

-Ed

Aug 9, 2007 at 9:14 AM Post #7 of 55
I personally don't think you can beat the bang for your buck with meat-based food. It can taste so darn good while costing next to nothing (frozen food). I'd gladly switch to a more plant-centered diet if there were actually GOOD tasting foods available to me for the same price (or less) as meat-based foods.

Aug 9, 2007 at 9:20 AM Post #8 of 55
Well, the way I follow atkins, it's not at all cheap. Organic veggies + good steaks and pork loins etc. Lunch is a LOT cheaper tho. A BK Triple Stacker, no sauce, add pickles, and then I don't eat the bun. $4.50. Significantly cheaper than a chicken sandwich and fries
smily_headphones1.gif

Aug 9, 2007 at 9:26 AM Post #10 of 55
Sure, we just don't need the overly easy to get at refined carbs. Fiber, protein, fat, all good. All needed. White flour, sugar, white rice, potatoes...not so much. Just ask your neighborhood diabetic.

Aug 9, 2007 at 11:17 AM Post #13 of 55
Good health!
Human are not pure plant or meat eaters. Our digestion system work best with a mixed diet, consisting of fruit, vegetables and meat.

...and meat, especially beef, taste good as well!
biggrin.gif

Aug 9, 2007 at 11:37 AM Post #14 of 55
Quote:

Originally Posted by grawk /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Well, the way I follow atkins, it's not at all cheap. Organic veggies + good steaks and pork loins etc. Lunch is a LOT cheaper tho. A BK Triple Stacker, no sauce, add pickles, and then I don't eat the bun. $4.50. Significantly cheaper than a chicken sandwich and fries
smily_headphones1.gif

Like I said, nearly all successful weight loss diets end up with a maintenance phase, which differs from the starting phase of the diet.

Far too many people think that Atkins involves only the Induction phase only.

But if you have a history of heart disease in your family, Atkins diet will be a disaster for your long term health if you keep eating high fat and cholesterol foods.

-Ed

Aug 9, 2007 at 12:25 PM Post #15 of 55
I I've been on Adkins pretty much since 1980. Once in a great while I'll pig out on a hot fudge sundae and the next day I will pay for it with sugar cravings. The reason that I stick to Adkins is that I feel much better. So, after 27 years, I'm a living testimonial to a high protein/fat and severely limited carb diet.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back