beloved X1,nano and e5c STOLEN!
Feb 24, 2007 at 10:15 PM Post #16 of 66
First, Johnny I'm glad you are ok. My flat was robbed when I lived in London. At the time (1990), my good Walkman & headphones were stolen. I spent the rest of my time there w/ a 5 pound (quid, not weight) rig purchased at a flea market. I still enjoyed my music. It didn't sound as good, but I could still listen.
Ricardo- What's up? Machismo will only get you hurt or worse. England keeps tight controls on guns. Thieves in London rarely have guns. No offense, but I think I would rather live where there are fewer guns.
3XO- the US has 150 million homeless? You live in NJ, maybe you should travel the world & see how lucky you are to live in the US. There are many places in the world where they have real poverty, much worse than in NJ.

Feb 24, 2007 at 11:05 PM Post #17 of 66
Damn... Too bad about your rig. Its a perfect opportunity to upgrade though!

Luckily I live in New Zealand, and I have yet to see a homeless person at all in my City. In bigger city's like Wellington and Auckland there are a few though... I'm a bit of a sucker so I normally end up giving them money D:

Good luck getting a nice new rig!

Oh and learn some martial arts so you can protect yourself if something like this happens again
wink.gif

Feb 24, 2007 at 11:16 PM Post #18 of 66
Oh man, that sucks. At least you didn't get hurt. You leave work really late or don't work in the central areas? From Camden down to Waterloo, the underground is usually packed with weekend shoppers. Oh well, at least you can replace physical possesions

Feb 24, 2007 at 11:24 PM Post #19 of 66
Thats really ******** man, I feel for you. If you knew you couldn't defend yourself, then you did the right thing in handing over your belongings. If you don't mind, could you tell me what part of London this was?

Feb 24, 2007 at 11:32 PM Post #20 of 66
thanks for all the support.
the ironic thing is that i am trained in martial arts, but i firmly beleive that avoiding a fight is far more honourable than engaging in macho bravado, someone would have gotten seriously hurt, and injuring someone is never cool. this is not the first time i have been attacked by drug users either, and it would be highly ignorant to brand all homeless people as addicts. there are circumstantial reasons beyond most peoples understandings why people are forced into these situations.

i feel like i did the best possible thing given my situation. Bravado and rediculous machoism aside, and even though i had the power to, i would allways rather flee than fight.

above all else though, is that this event has not in the slightest dented my appreciation of music, if my rig was reduced to a pair of ibuds and an old tape deck, i would still love the music that i enjoy every day. i can only hope that others, faced with the same situation, would act in the same way.

seriously people, this whole macho being tough thing is just a rediculous bravado reaction that is perpetuated by a popular fashionable 'elite'. the truly proper thing to do would be to rise above these stupid sociological stigmas, and stay away from any form of viloence. in the end, it is stupid pride (aside from greed) that is responsible for most forms of conflict in this world. the most important thing is to keep yourself safe, and if not for yourself, do it for the people that love you.

Feb 24, 2007 at 11:52 PM Post #21 of 66
Very valid points johnny, but unfortunately fighting and violence are ingrained parts of the human psyche. At the rate UK society is going (especially where I live; Birmingham) it isn't going to get safer any time soon.

EDIT: shouldn't this be in the member's lounge by now?

Feb 25, 2007 at 12:47 AM Post #22 of 66
Okay I know the reaming I'm going to get by this BUT, how close was the homeless guy to you when he had the knife? If you had the ability to disarm him, take the knife (to give to police or whatever) and get away without hurting the guy too much, why didn't you do so? I know I'm not helping at all by saying this, and I am sorry for your loss, but it seems to me you could have avoided losing your much-coveted (and rightly so) gear. Also, what's with that last paragraph in your latest post?

Quote:

Originally Posted by jonnywolfet /img/forum/go_quote.gif
seriously people, this whole macho being tough thing is just a rediculous bravado reaction that is perpetuated by a popular fashionable 'elite'. the truly proper thing to do would be to rise above these stupid sociological stigmas, and stay away from any form of viloence. in the end, it is stupid pride (aside from greed) that is responsible for most forms of conflict in this world. the most important thing is to keep yourself safe, and if not for yourself, do it for the people that love you.

Popular fashionable elite? What the hell? What would be the opposite of "the truly proper thing to do"? If you want to retain your dignity and the respect of others by justifying your decision to ***** out of the situation I suggest you try to make some sense and use some "truly proper" grammar. No one should, and I certainly don't think your decision to cave in so quickly is justified by that statement. I don't condone violence, in fact I'm quite the ***** when it comes to a situation that may involve such but I would at least think about running before handing my stuff over.

I have little sympathy for you, you who conceded so quickly to someone one would you could easily disable (considering your martial arts expertise) and who stumblingly tries to justify his badly thought-out decision.

Let the flaming begin, that is, if you refute my bullet-proof argument (say if the victim in question was held in place with the knife centimetres away from his throat).

Feb 25, 2007 at 1:15 AM Post #25 of 66
That really sucks jonny.

If it is any consolation (and I know that it isn't) you won my tri-flange giveaway. So please PM your deets so I can mail them to you. At least that way you will have them when you get your replacements.

Regards,

Rob

Feb 25, 2007 at 1:42 AM Post #26 of 66
I'm glad you're alright.
But I'm just wondering what homeless people are going to do with your rig?
hmm.... o.O

Feb 25, 2007 at 1:48 AM Post #27 of 66
Quote:

Originally Posted by bluey_02 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yes, I make three posts a year so I make them decent ones. Is that okay?

Haha. Yes, that's alright.

Feb 25, 2007 at 2:19 AM Post #28 of 66
Quote:

Originally Posted by clauswitz /img/forum/go_quote.gif
3XO- the US has 150 million homeless? You live in NJ, maybe you should travel the world & see how lucky you are to live in the US. There are many places in the world where they have real poverty, much worse than in NJ.

Ah, I apologize for not being clear enough.

I'm ethnically connected to Bangladesh, and it's a really poor country.

Feb 25, 2007 at 2:25 AM Post #29 of 66
You did the right thing. things can be replaced, not lives. I am not trying to sound like an ass but what is really ironic is that you won a giveaway for tips to headphones that got stolen.

Feb 25, 2007 at 2:27 AM Post #30 of 66
Quote:

Originally Posted by bluey_02 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yes, I make three posts a year so I make them decent ones. Is that okay?

No, unless you are trying to demonstrate the meaning of "adding insult to injury" for us nonnatives ........

Users who are viewing this thread

Back