Before and after pics - CURSE YOU HEAD FI!
Feb 21, 2007 at 5:24 PM Post #4,127 of 6,026
Well I've finally decided I have my portable rig done. I've been swapping out IC and different headphones, but the last few days I've spend a solid 30-60 minutes on my walks rocking out this combo, and it just works.

rig1.jpg

rig2.jpg

rig3.jpg

rig4.jpg

Feb 21, 2007 at 6:29 PM Post #4,128 of 6,026
Nice portable rig! Atleast someone who is using the iGrado's.

Some more shots of my new big black toys:

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

After playing around with toe in, and playing a good HDCD, these are sounding very very nice. Not quite K-1000 level in terms of detail and dynamics, but the sensation of the music is so good. The placement and soundstage are a welcome breath of air. Me very happy.

Feb 21, 2007 at 6:37 PM Post #4,129 of 6,026
i love how the last three posts have totally different approaches - "Vinyl! Portable Rig! Speakers!" but you can sense the Curse operating in all three
evil_smiley.gif
Congrats guys!

Feb 21, 2007 at 9:25 PM Post #4,130 of 6,026
And so I bought a Ringmat 330 MkII XLR;

ringmat1.jpg

ringmat2.jpg

ringmat3.jpg

Feb 21, 2007 at 9:25 PM Post #4,131 of 6,026
Double Post - Sorry

Feb 22, 2007 at 6:10 AM Post #4,134 of 6,026
i dont think you have enough Omegas.
eek.gif

Feb 22, 2007 at 6:15 AM Post #4,135 of 6,026
Quote:

Originally Posted by [AK]Zip /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Sadly I do not have a before, but here is an after:

01.JPG

I will post a better picture once my source is done.

-Alex-

aww dude you are killing me...move those cans away from the sunlight..the uv waves will fade the leather!

Feb 24, 2007 at 4:01 AM Post #4,136 of 6,026
Post Count: 19,415. My Guitar Curse Kicks In. Yeah, not head-fi related but oh well!

So you might have been following my double pickguard HD-28 hijinks, and I'd like to share the conclusion.

Just as I was thinking about yet another mod to my HD28, someone else just posted on craigslist that simply said "70's Mojo Martin D35" with a pic of the axe up against a studio mixer. I felt the vibes, man. I called him up, he checked out my listing, we agreed to meet at his studio, and after work I hoofed it over there in the chilly night.

I felt the positive atmosphere the second I walked in. All of his stuff was tube-based, including his mics of course. He said he got the Martin as a trade in for studio time, and only brought it out if someone needed a Martin sound, since he was a Gibson guy personally. So he opened that funky blue Martin case and the first thought I had was the first thing he said - "She's a Real ****kicker!" Yeah, she took a lickin' alright. I just knew I'd be hearing the cannon blasts bouncing off the walls. He left for a bit to let me thrash in private, and I went to town.

Guys, this thing is amazing. When it's played lightly, everything has a great bass/midbass balance. But when you dig in hard, it doesn't lose focus - it's like the same balance - hammering in front of you relentlessly. AWESOME. In contrast, my HD28 was so shimmery when you stop playing, but even then the overtones seem to hang on the surface. When you dig in, it's like the sound is there but swallowed up - I guess I'm not saying it right. What really got me was turning the soundhole towards me and raising my voice a bit to tell the guy I was done and I swear the D35 resonated to my voice like...I can't describe it. Awe inspiring.

So he comes in and just said "let's do the trade." He didn't even try the HD28! I guess I was auditioning for it without knowing it - that, plus he must have seen that grin wrapping around my face. Damn, I felt like a bandit.

Well now it's in its permanent home with me, let me tell you I was skipping all the way home and my wife was totally digging it too, saying I did the right thing because it ROCKED. I looked up the serial number, it's a '72, and it's set up so perfectly I don't want to do a thing to it. I LOVE NEW YORK! So here's some shots with my equally roughed up '65 Guild F30:

Picture052.jpg

Picture056.jpg

Feb 24, 2007 at 5:53 AM Post #4,137 of 6,026
Quote:

Originally Posted by RedLeader /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Well I've finally decided I have my portable rig done. I've been swapping out IC and different headphones, but the last few days I've spend a solid 30-60 minutes on my walks rocking out this combo, and it just works.

rig1.jpg

rig2.jpg

rig3.jpg

rig4.jpg

you have talent with a camera, sir! what are those foam discs?

Feb 24, 2007 at 6:21 AM Post #4,138 of 6,026
Quote:

Originally Posted by redshifter /img/forum/go_quote.gif
you have talent with a camera, sir! what are those foam discs?

Yes, indeed! Great pics (and lovely toys).

What camera/lens, BTW???

Feb 24, 2007 at 8:39 AM Post #4,139 of 6,026
Quote:

01.JPG

Two Omega II's, a SR-Omega and a HE60. Great collection you got there!
lambda.gif

Feb 24, 2007 at 8:43 AM Post #4,140 of 6,026
Quote:

01.JPG

I will post a better picture once my source is done.

-Alex-

Yum. I take it you're not one of those who claim that removing the source from sources of EMI like the TV and computer makes a big difference?
wink.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back