Beats studios are not overpriced.
Oct 8, 2010 at 2:08 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 111

astroid

1000+ Head-Fier
Everyone here says oh they should be $100 - $150 , nonsense.
If you look at the market they are competing with , the Sony NC500D , Bose QC , Sennheiser 380 the Beats are actually well priced to beat them all.
SQ wise only the NC500D are better imo.

Beats are noise cancelling headphones, as such they are well priced.

Oct 8, 2010 at 2:24 PM Post #2 of 111
forgot to mention akg,shure,grado,audio-technica,Denon and so forth. if you want mind pounding bass with good sound quality then the sony mdr-v700's will outclass the beats in everyway,same with the mentioned companies above. in my opinion they are only worth around 35 bucks the most. even my sennheiser hd205-II outclasses'em when it comes to studio work or audio production(what the beats are marketed towards. the studio market)

i only tried the beats at my local sam ash(yay! there finally allowing headphone demoing). it has really overwhelming bass and makes everything sound recessed and congested. it has it in the low frequency spectrum but lacks mids and highs from personal opinion. if you don't find'em over-priced then that's cool. i just know there is much better choices for me personally and think beats by dre are totally over-rated due to massive marketing and so on.

Oct 8, 2010 at 2:25 PM Post #4 of 111
This is going to be good...

popcorn.gif

Oct 8, 2010 at 2:36 PM Post #5 of 111
the funny thing is I don't really know if the beats studio really noise cancel even though it has noise cancel feature.

Oct 8, 2010 at 3:28 PM Post #6 of 111
I have to say I've never, ever been impressed by them.

the V-Moda Crossfade's sound better in every way and can be had for $200.  they don't noise cancel, but the isolate well enough to not miss it.

Oct 8, 2010 at 3:37 PM Post #7 of 111
If you think the hd205 is better sounding than the beats you are deluded, you say you have only heard them in store , that's the issue.
The beats are non fatiguing , the bass is not overpowering , it is a bassy phone but the mid and high freq are intact and on certain non bass driven pieces the beats recreate acoustic guitar better than my shure 840s.
I don't like the marketing machine behind the beats any more than you but is it any worse than AKG painting a cable neon and selling exactly the same can for more cash?

Oct 8, 2010 at 5:06 PM Post #8 of 111

And so speaks the voice of headfi.

Opinion , look it up.

this place is less than useful at the moment.

"I need portables , for going to work?"

"m50"

"I need some in ears"

" no you don't , get m50"

"I like phones that are sterile , non bassy and comfy"

" m50 "

Oct 8, 2010 at 6:21 PM Post #11 of 111
Quote:
Haha, I agree. It is nice to comment on a flame worthy post once in a while. 

I'm preparing some Nomex of my own for a review of the Sony XB700s I'm working on.  In all seriousness, it will be *shock*horror* mostly positive...

Of course, at 1/4 the price of today's target, I think its safe to cut it a little slack.

Oct 8, 2010 at 6:42 PM Post #13 of 111

Quote:
Everyone here says oh they should be $100 - $150 , nonsense.
If you look at the market they are competing with , the Sony NC500D , Bose QC , Sennheiser 380 the Beats are actually well priced to beat them all.

Beats are noise cancelling headphones, as such they are well priced.

So, you just bought one it seems. If you like it then, enjoy. It's your ears anyway. Thing is, if anyone upgrade to beats from stock earphone from any brand's mp3 player, then it will sound awesome.

Oct 9, 2010 at 12:23 AM Post #14 of 111
Quote:

Have you ever heard the ATH-ANC7b? How do those compare do you think? They are very well reviewed.

Quote:
Thing is, if anyone upgrade to beats from stock earphone from any brand's mp3 player, then it will sound awesome. 

An excellent point.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back