Beats Pro - Worth it for 50% off?
Nov 28, 2010 at 9:04 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 119

rsn90

New Head-Fier
I'm looking to get some new headphones, and I just found out that because of a deal that my company has with Monster, I get them 50% off. In other words, I could get the Beats Pro for $225.

I definitely wouldn't spend $450 on them... but $225 seems reasonable. I know the Beats get a lot of hate on these forums, but the main reason is price - so, if you could get the Beats Pro for $225, would you? Why or why not?

Nov 28, 2010 at 9:15 PM Post #2 of 119
Eh,,, Beats.. ehh, I herd they arent really Over ear But Kinda On ear.  They are kinda like A toy They give u all these un necessary  accessories, And stuff and price them high. Cool looking headphones thow. but i cant judge them i haven't herd them.

Nov 28, 2010 at 9:20 PM Post #4 of 119
Well, as I said, that's the cool thing in my case: I get them 50% off. So price isn't really an issue - $225 for decent headphones is perfectly reasonable.

They definitely are fully over-the-ear. I tried them out. They cover my ears at least (and I have big ears).

I guess I'm just wondering what other people's opinions are, specifically of the Beats Pro. I don't care about the cheaper models. Could I spend my $225 better? If so, where? On what? I honestly don't know - I'm a headphones noob.

Nov 28, 2010 at 9:21 PM Post #5 of 119
You can get the DT 770 (whichever edition is to your liking) for less ($170-$180) even with the discount, and will have a much better sound by a long shot. So short answer is no, I would not get Beats even for 50% off.

There are many other options for better sound and price as well, I only threw the DT 770 out there as a closed, bass-heavy comparison.

Nov 28, 2010 at 9:23 PM Post #6 of 119

Quote:
Eh,,, Beats.. ehh, I herd they arent really Over ear But Kinda On ear.  They are kinda like A toy They give u all these un necessary  accessories, And stuff and price them high. Cool looking headphones thow. but i cant judge them i haven't herd them.

[size=medium]
Well, as I said, that's the cool thing in my case: I get them 50% off. So price isn't really an issue - $225 for decent headphones is perfectly reasonable. They definitely are fully over-the-ear. I tried them out. They cover my ears at least (and I have big ears).

I guess I'm just wondering what other people's opinions are, specifically of the Beats Pro. I don't care about the cheaper models. Could I spend my $225 better? If so, where? On what? I honestly don't know - I'm a headphones noob.
[/size]

Quote:
Would you buy the beats for $150 (1/2 of the retail $300)?  Maybe it's worth it...

I don't care about the Solo or Studios. I am only really interested in the Pros.

Nov 28, 2010 at 9:30 PM Post #7 of 119
I get 50% off Monster too, but I am skipping the Beats Pro.  I do like the Turbine Pro.

Nov 28, 2010 at 9:32 PM Post #8 of 119
I was just trying to point out that maybe Monster overprices there products the same ie if studios were a good deal at half price then maybe the pros might be good at half off.  Good luck finding people who have heard the pros on this forum.

Nov 28, 2010 at 10:37 PM Post #9 of 119
I've been curious about the Pros, not to buy, but just to see what they sound like.  Looking at some unboxing videos, they seem to be very well built with metal construction (unlike the other flimsy plastic models), and they fold up into a relatively compact package.  I might demo some this week at Best Buy, so I can give you my impression of those compared to my closed cans - the D7000 and M50.  

Nov 28, 2010 at 11:48 PM Post #10 of 119
Tried them out. Honestly, for $225, you could do better, technically, for that much money. (SA5000 comes to mind.) The sound itself is pretty fun, but...strange. it's certainly a V shaped sig, but the mids weren't that drowned out. Instead, it's like the mids are flat/a touch recessed and the 200Hz+ and the treble was boosted. The bass isn't as textured as I'd like for the price, it's rather one note like at that. The mids are halfway decent. Better than my Portapros by a longshot but lose out to my K271s. Highs are too peaky for what I'd like. They're pretty aggressive at that. Soundstage is meh. Detail is rather meh too. I like them more than DT770s for a fun listen and imo best the Pros. And they seem rather durable. Certainly wouldn't pay full price for them, but at $225, you could do worse. I prefer them to the D2000s too. I probably need another listen of all these though, (especially the Denons) but they're miles ahead of the Studios.
Ps, if possible, try them somewhere other than BB. Their system sounds weird and really colored. And loud.

Oh, and what's your music/source? These don't necessarily need to be amped but improve with powah

Nov 29, 2010 at 12:03 AM Post #11 of 119

Quote:
You can get the DT 770 (whichever edition is to your liking) for less ($170-$180) even with the discount, and will have a much better sound by a long shot. So short answer is no, I would not get Beats even for 50% off.

There are many other options for better sound and price as well, I only threw the DT 770 out there as a closed, bass-heavy comparison.

OOT: I always envious how you all  in USA/Europe can get beyerdynamic dt-770/880 for under $200. Here in my country, they go for about US$310!

On topic: For sound quality, no, I don't think beats pro worth $225. Maybe $120. But for look (if you look-centric guy) and the build quality, then yes, they worth $200 mark.

Nov 29, 2010 at 12:48 AM Post #12 of 119
what country are you from?  yeah although we get it for $200USD and in your country it cost $310USD in conversion, but I think it all come down to dollar value and how much you make per hour.  If your country money value is higher and you make the same amount in your money per hour as we do, then the cost difference is cut down a lot. For example let say I make $10per hr and you make 10 (whatever currency) per hr., but your money value worth twice the amount then basically I have to work two hrs. to make the same amount as your one hr. 

I'm just evaluating as I don't really know the whole situation.  I'm just saying it might not be as bad as you think.  If you tell me that it cost $310 whatever currency your country use then I can see the price inflation.

As for the OP, do you think they worth $225? also, do you like the sound you are hearing?  Although someone else may say whatever headphone sound better, you might not like it. Just FYI, I guess you can always get an opinion and look for a local place that have tryout and see if you like them.

Quote:
Quote:

OOT: I always envious how you all  in USA/Europe can get beyerdynamic dt-770/880 for under $200. Here in my country, they go for about US$310!

On topic: For sound quality, no, I don't think beats pro worth $225. Maybe $120. But for look (if you look-centric guy) and the build quality, then yes, they worth $200 mark.

Nov 29, 2010 at 1:31 AM Post #13 of 119
If you have a deal with Monster, can you get the turbine pros? If so, gettem. Fun and respected IEMs that look like bling lol (that's part of the reason why I bought them).

Nov 29, 2010 at 2:17 AM Post #14 of 119
A few posters don't realize this thread is about the Beats PRO.  So BB has the Pros on demo now huh.  Definitely avoid the demo setup BB has if possible.

Nov 29, 2010 at 2:23 AM Post #15 of 119
Price is not the biggest criticism of the Beats Pro. I haven't liked any of their products and price isn't a consideration. The bass is overwhelming and makes a muddy mess of the mids and highs. If you enjoy that sort of thing, maybe they would be good for you.

Otherwise, there are some excellent headphones in the $200 range.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back