Beats Pro Vs Ultrasone Pro 900
Apr 14, 2012 at 9:20 AM Post #78 of 88
read thru this thread, these cans are portable enuf for jogging...??
...hmmm i guess if there is a will there is a way...
eek.gif

"......... and while i go for a jog :)...."

Jun 9, 2012 at 7:37 PM Post #79 of 88
i know its a few months after the thread was started but let me tell you something about the beats and the ultrasone.

Firstly. Do not get beats.
Secondly. Do not get beats.
Etc.

When i bought the beats , i already knew they were not going to be good. I was proven right. The 'in your face' bass output, and the loudness of the headphones is extremely artificial. its crap. Beats are not worth more than 100 dollars. They are being sold for over 400. Let me explain why the Ultrasones are by FAR superior:

1. The lows on the Ultrasone 900's are not only in your face, but are as fast and crisp and clear as others have stated. I bought an amplifier to drive them (i have a cowon j3) which is considered the top of the line mp3 player out there at the moment, and i still had to get an amplifier because of how Ultrasone headphones are and thus, require the power. The amplifier i bought was the Fiio e11. For my in ear headphones (earsonics sm3), i did not need the amplifier because the Cowon is powerful enough and the earphones are sensitive enough to give me what i want to hear. With this amp, which costs like 60 bucks or so, you get TWO bass levels, which means you can turn the bass amplification off, or set it to 1, or 2. . Also you can put the gain on 1, and 2. If you have a cowon player (i am selling one by the way in case you are interested), the bass on the Amplifier is not as necessary. However, if you want your head to vibrate, you can put it up, especially if you have something like an ipod (which does not have a high bass setting). Without the amp, you simply will get distorted sound because the mp3 player does not have enough power for the bass output that it can potentially provide.
2. The Bass on the Ultrasones pro 900's is worth the money you spend on them. Unlike the Beats, the bass does not take over the mids and the highs. You get a thumping, clear output of true bass, and even with the settings of the lows set to 2, as well as on the mp3 player. With that the voices and the cymbals, sound crisp with an above average sound stage. The vibration of the headphones as the bass hits, comes exactly on time, unlike the beats, where your head might vibrate from the bass, yet in a very muddy way, and not at the same time as the drum kick hits. You basically get all the head vibration you need from the beats, but it comes in a manner which severely contradicts the actual timing of proper notes.
3. The mids and highs are not overpowering. The highs on the beats are not well balanced, and you get times when your ears start to hurt. Because of such high sensitivity, you will get all this in your face bass, yet when the high notes hit, or the cymbals are being used, or even sound effects, like a car screeching, might literally leave your ears buzzing for a while with all the unpleasantry. 
4. With the beats, you might have a low quality sound track and might not notice it, or the overpowering bass will be muffling everything else, and you basically lose out half the instruments that are being played in the song. With the Ultrasones, you will know exactly (especially with an amp) when the track is low quality, because the reproduction is so sincere that you will hear instruments and sounds that the beats otherwise misses with its artificial 'in your face' thumping bass.
5. And lastly, and in a major major way, this is important : with an amp, and a good mp3 player, after the burn in time, the bass on the Ultrasone Pro 900, basically destroys anything the beats have to offer.. I CANNOT STRESS THAT ENOUGH. For example, i listened to Bang Bang Pow Pow by Lil Wayne, and maybe not the best song to some, but the production and the quality is superb; when i did all my settings and put in the headphones, i felt like i was sitting next to a sub woofer. My head vibrated, and i literally started laughing as the sound was so ridiculous to a point where i asked myself : Where has my brain been my whole life? I have missed so much music, and as a bass lover this was a day to celebrate. 

Beats, are simply a marketing product where, if you walk around the street with them on, people might think of how awesome you are. Thats all there is to it.

The only few gripes i do have with the Ultrasones, and these are extremely minor: You basically need an amp to drive them for the output you desire; the burn in time could take a bit of patience, but they sound magnificent after 100 hours or so; and lastly, with bass cranked all the way up (which i like to do) certain genres of music might SLIGHTLY have a toll on the mids, but then again, if you have a good mp3 player with a 5 band EQ for example (cowon, etc..), the mids could be adjusted..

Unfortunately i am just speaking from experience and comparing the two headphones, i have not heard many other full sized headphones, so i cannot say what other headphones might be better, BUT as for the LOW LOW sound with quality and a very minor cost to the mids, the Ultrasone 900's are KINGS.

Sorry for such a long post, if you have any questions feel free to message me!

Jul 15, 2012 at 11:43 AM Post #80 of 88
I have different opinion between BeatsPro vs Ultrasone PRO 900 S-Logic.

If we focus solely on the bass (Low), I would say BeatsPro beats Ultrasone PRO 900 S-Logic all the way. In fact the other lower cost headphones ATH-M50 & ATH-Pro700MK2 have better bass than PRO 900 S-Logic.
In other hand, PRO 900 S-Logic havs a better mids & high comparing to BeatsPro.

Overall for bass centric headphones, below is my ranking:

No.1: Beats Pro
No 2: ATH-Pro700MK2
No 3: ATH-M50
No 4: Ultrasone PRO 900 S-Logic

Jul 15, 2012 at 12:44 PM Post #81 of 88
Quote:

If we focus solely on the bass (Low), I would say BeatsPro beats Ultrasone PRO 900 S-Logic all the way. In fact the other lower cost headphones ATH-M50 & ATH-Pro700MK2 have better bass than PRO 900 S-Logic.

No, just no. Quality bass is like a guitar playing an accord, you can hear when it goes slighty lower/higher. 'Cheap' bass is muddy and you won't hear those nice differences, you'll hear it like using a 200W made-in-china $5 subwoofer and use apple's earbuds for the rest of the sound.

Sep 15, 2012 at 8:07 AM Post #84 of 88
Quote:

You have some major problems wit ur ears. Sorry.

Dec 26, 2012 at 9:59 PM Post #86 of 88
so I am thinking about getting the Pro 900's, but are the worth spending 370 plus 60 for a fiio e11? I am kindof hesitant after getting beat pro's.... I really dislike them because of their mids and highs (mids are what I am really looking for along with decent bass).

Dec 26, 2012 at 10:33 PM Post #87 of 88
the pro 900 are way better than the beats. but they  have piercing metallic treble and recessed mids. 

seems like you want a more balanced sounding headphone. or one with good mids/bass but warmer treble.

Sep 27, 2016 at 1:35 PM Post #88 of 88
Anyone have any info on the difference between the Pro900 and the Pro900i (besides about $160)? Looks like most of their numbers are the same, possibly the 900i is more durable? Thanks in advance

Users who are viewing this thread

Back