Beats competitors?
Aug 28, 2010 at 4:19 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 18

Chema23

New Head-Fier
If the beats are overpriced, then what headphones sound equally as good/bad but are cheaper?

The beats sound acceptably good to my untrained ears, but not to my wallet, and apparently they are over-priced. This is great news, which headphones do you recommend I buy?

Thanks,
Chema

Aug 29, 2010 at 3:18 PM Post #4 of 18
Aug 29, 2010 at 3:55 PM Post #5 of 18
Quote:

The beats sound acceptably good to my untrained ears....

Do you have any opportunity to try out headphones?  The Beats might sound good to you, but there is too much bass (it adds sounds that are not on the recording), while choking the mids and highs.  Instead of finding an equally bad bass monster, you might want to give a listen to the more balanced headphones on the market.  After hearing one, you might change your mind about what you're really after.  One that I think has good bass and blends well with everything else is the Sennheiser HD-650, which costs about the same as the Beats.  Yet it actually has fidelity and balance.

Aug 29, 2010 at 4:06 PM Post #6 of 18

Quote:
Quote:

Do you have any opportunity to try out headphones?  The Beats might sound good to you, but there is too much bass (it adds sounds that are not on the recording), while choking the mids and highs.  Instead of finding an equally bad bass monster, you might want to give a listen to the more balanced headphones on the market.  After hearing one, you might change your mind about what you're really after.  One that I think has good bass and blends well with everything else is the Sennheiser HD-650, which costs about the same as the Beats.  Yet it actually has fidelity and balance.

The cheaper alternative for HD-650 and if you want closed-cans, I would suggest the SHR840 and ATH-M50.

Aug 30, 2010 at 12:07 AM Post #7 of 18
I am looking for something similar, being a bass-head myself. The main cans I'm looking at are DT770's and HD650's. I keep hearing about the ATH-M50's so I'll check them out as well. Thanks for the info.

Aug 30, 2010 at 12:44 AM Post #8 of 18
Definitely don't overlook the SRH840s or SRH750DJ's. If there is a guitar center near you, you can try out most of the headphones that were talked about and recommended here.

Aug 30, 2010 at 12:47 AM Post #9 of 18
Do you really think they will have these headphones at a Guitar Center?  I've been looking for a place to audition quiet a few headphones before I save up for my next upgrade.

Aug 30, 2010 at 3:26 AM Post #10 of 18
Yes. Guita Center usually has numerous different phones to try. Take your own music.

Quote:
Do you really think they will have these headphones at a Guitar Center?  I've been looking for a place to audition quiet a few headphones before I save up for my next upgrade.

Aug 30, 2010 at 4:57 AM Post #11 of 18
You probably should call your local Guitar Center to see if they let you test headphones before driving all the way there and having some jerk manager tell you no and make up some bs about it being illegal...like I experienced.

Aug 30, 2010 at 5:24 AM Post #12 of 18
I wonder how much money Audio Technica has made on M50s from head-fi customers...

Quote:
I am looking for something similar, being a bass-head myself. The main cans I'm looking at are DT770's and HD650's. I keep hearing about the ATH-M50's so I'll check them out as well. Thanks for the info.

Aug 30, 2010 at 6:16 AM Post #13 of 18

Quote:
I wonder how much money Audio Technica has made on M50s from head-fi customers...

Never thought about that! In all my years in the headphone world, I've never seen a more over-recommended (even overrated in my opinion) headphone. I just don't get it. To me, they're honky, fatiguing and just not good for my ears. But, I guess we all hear differently, didn't know I was that different though, lol.

Aug 30, 2010 at 8:39 AM Post #14 of 18

Quote:
Never thought about that! In all my years in the headphone world, I've never seen a more over-recommended (even overrated in my opinion) headphone. I just don't get it. To me, they're honky, fatiguing and just not good for my ears. But, I guess we all hear differently, didn't know I was that different though, lol.

M50 is NEVER overated IMHO! For its price and quality, I don't think anyone can name a better headphone than the m50 in that price range. And m50 Price is generally what many new-comers can afford. Headphones that are in the same league as m50 or slightly better cost almost twice as much(like SHR-840), that is why m50 is so-recommended to buy when you start before you take on the big boys like HD600/650. Because of its price alone, it made that slight(very very little) improvement in the same tier looked totally unworthy.

Aug 30, 2010 at 3:39 PM Post #15 of 18
I second on recommending you to go to guitar center, just make sure you call. Some of the smaller location don't have demo cans, but the larger has pretty good selections for you to try.
If you like the beats studio headphones bass then you might find the M50 to be less bassy, but by all means not a bad thing (the M50 clarity overall is amazing while still have generous bass). Don't get me wrong audio technica m50 sound good in a balance way, but the bass does not sound the same as beats.  To me, beats are made to be very forward sounding (very colored, I guess that's what other call it) and extremely punchy.   I find the highs and mids are not bad considering how bass heavy they are. The only headphones that I find to be the same competitor to the beats (that is in same colored sound type) is the Sony XB700. The m50 are great if you find yourself okay with sacrificing some of the bass the other two has for more balance which equal to everything else sounding better.

The difference in the two super bass heavy cans are that the Sony's are darker and bass are slightly less punch but deeper with better bass extension whereas beats studio are punchy (don't get me wrong the sony are still punchy, but not like beats).  I guess you can say, the only thing is that these headphones are very forward like everything is thrown at you at once, which makes sacrifice in other areas. Now, as far as the ATH-M50, the sound is more tame and with precision.  The bass is very precise compare to the other two and the vocals are awesome compare to the other two. The differences are that the other two are very fun to listen too while the M50 are a pleasure to listen two. Two very different type. To me it seems like the more I listen to the M50 the more I began to like them and start to notice the flaw in sounds of the other two.

And yes, I have tried them all. I own  both the sony xb700 and the AT m50 and my brother owns the beats studios. I have test them next to each other side by side in the same house at the same time.  I am new to this forum and new to headphones.  I was also in the quest for similiar sounds as beats studios at one point.  IMHO, if you are new to higher prices headphones and like the beats studio, go for the beats studios. They have a unique sound signature that no other headphones has, bad or good compare to other headphones in the eyes of mixers, dj, etc then I don't know, but for me (regular guy just happen to like music) I like em.  If you don't want to spend a lot, but want heavy bass buy the sonys xb700 for $80 they very bass heavy, vibrating heavy humming bass that are not muddy, but still sounds decent in other area. Get the M50 if you want a more accurate, and tamer bass headphones.  I like the M50's, but I still sometime crave the beats fun side
atsmile.gif
. Kind of a guilty bass heavy pleasure.  Oh I guess I should say this too, the beats do seem fragile compare to the other two headphones. I'm not sure if I would buy them for $300 plus, but at the same time I don't know if I would spend $300 on headphones. The sony are the most comfortable, light and almost none existence. The M50 can be a little tight, but I heard they will loosen up. The tightness makes my ear sweat which I don't like, but we'll see what happens when they loosen up. The beats feels like the m50, but less tightness. overall, I find the sonys are fun, but not as fun as the beats. at the same time the beats are too expensive, but brings great bass thrills. The M50 are great in that they are cheap, solid bass, with good clarity.  The two I recommend are the M50 balanced with good bass and awesome clarity compare to beats, the beats for it awesome punchy bass that is hard to find but sacrifice other areas. Sony's xb700 are good if you are just broke and don't want to spend a lot but get pretty decents sounds ( I guess an in between the M50 and beats).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back