Beats by Dre
Oct 18, 2011 at 5:49 PM Post #121 of 180
Boy do I notice it with my friend and his studios.  He's like a lot of other bassheads I'd imagine.  He says he 'likes to turn the beats up for awesome impactful bass,' and I can literally hear every word of a song when I'm anywhere 10 feet around him.  In fact I think the audio clarity is better from outside the headphone than actually listening with the headphones on!  

Oct 18, 2011 at 5:53 PM Post #122 of 180

Quote:
Boy do I notice it with my friend and his studios.  He's like a lot of other bassheads I'd imagine.  He says he 'likes to turn the beats up for awesome impactful bass,' and I can literally hear every word of a song when I'm anywhere 10 feet around him.  In fact I think the audio clarity is better from outside the headphone than actually listening with the headphones on!  

YEP

Oct 18, 2011 at 5:53 PM Post #123 of 180

Quote:

LOL, i would agree, at least the mids aren't recessed coming from outside the cans.

Oct 18, 2011 at 9:08 PM Post #125 of 180
I wonder where one would install the "AA" batteries in their Chrysler 300s for the "enhanced" bass?

more like having the car work at all. I could imagine driving down the road and it stops and you gotta pull the dead ones out and put in new ones before your car goes back to rupturing your spleen with its magnitude 10.0 earthquake bass.

Oct 18, 2011 at 11:03 PM Post #126 of 180

Quote:
more like having the car work at all. I could imagine driving down the road and it stops and you gotta pull the dead ones out and put in new ones before your car goes back to rupturing your spleen with its magnitude 10.0 earthquake bass.

I think you'll need a lil more then 2 AA's to power that, maybe 4 :wink:

Oct 19, 2011 at 11:46 AM Post #127 of 180

Quote:
Statements like this is what drive me crazy.  It's not a well working model for who, YOU?  Only unenlightened people buy beats?  Says who?  Is there a universal pole out there somewhere I've missed?    I'm sorry my friend, but this in itself is an ignorant statement.  People need to realize that you can't tell someone what sounds good to them.  That's their OPINION as well as yours.  Can you say the Beats are nonanalytical cans?  Yes, that's fact.  Can you say the Beats aren't balanced?  Yes, that's fact.  But to say that those who like the sound of them are unenlightened is just incorrect.

My brother is a producer who works with many artists in the industry including Ne-Yo, Day 26, Alicia Keys, etc.  I'm a professional drummer.  In our circle there are many who have experience with many brands of headphones, including but not limited to AKG, Audio Technica, and Grado, who still like the Beats .  Most of us like the Beats for what they are to us, which are Headphones (Beats Studios) that are ideal for Ipod/Iphone use on the go with it's built in Amp, noise canceling, and nice look.  My brother paid the full $300 for his, and I purchased mine off a co-worker for $150 who received an extra pair for Christmas.  With money not being a factor in this case, my brother found them worth the full $300 he paid while I wouldn't pay that much for them based on my opinion of them.  He knows more about headphones, audio engineering, sound, etc than I do.  Does that make him ignorant or unenlightened because he finds them worth the $300 for what he's using them for?   I don't think so.  And if you say he is, in my opinion you're the pot calling the kettle black. The same is true for most of the Producers/Engineers/Artists I know who like the Beats.  They love them for powerful sound on their portable devices on the go, but would NEVER mix or run studio sessions with them because of the unbalanced nature.  But again, that doesn't mean that they don't sound good, it just means that they're not ideal for us when it comes to Studio use.

As you stated in your post, you're free to say what you want, but that doesn't make it correct or constructive. 

I think the truth lies somewhere in the middle.  I would say that very very few people who like Beats are actually honestly enjoying them for their sound quality.  The advertising that Monster uses is very successful in actually shaping people's opinions.  There is research to back up the psychological phenomena too.  This is a rough estimation of the study from memory, but there's 4 people in a room, 3 of them working for the study and 1 person at a time is brought in from the general public, and this one person thinks all four are just participating like he is.  They are all shown a straight line, and asked what it is.  The first 3 workers say it is a curved line, and then the 4th person often will agree, even though it is clearly straight.  And that's just one of the ways the Monster marketing works on people.  There's also the image and lifestyle etc.

I don't totally agree that some people just like the way they sound.  Some people sure, but most people even if they think they like the sound are heavily influenced by the brand, the look, the hype, the feel, etc.  The point is that they could find a sound they actually would like more in a blind test for much cheaper.  But when the image of the Beats is added into the mix, they think they sound better than they actually do. 

Oct 19, 2011 at 1:40 PM Post #128 of 180

Quote:
I think the truth lies somewhere in the middle.  I would say that very very few people who like Beats are actually honestly enjoying them for their sound quality.  The advertising that Monster uses is very successful in actually shaping people's opinions.  There is research to back up the psychological phenomena too.  This is a rough estimation of the study from memory, but there's 4 people in a room, 3 of them working for the study and 1 person at a time is brought in from the general public, and this one person thinks all four are just participating like he is.  They are all shown a straight line, and asked what it is.  The first 3 workers say it is a curved line, and then the 4th person often will agree, even though it is clearly straight.  And that's just one of the ways the Monster marketing works on people.  There's also the image and lifestyle etc.

I don't totally agree that some people just like the way they sound.  Some people sure, but most people even if they think they like the sound are heavily influenced by the brand, the look, the hype, the feel, etc.  The point is that they could find a sound they actually would like more in a blind test for much cheaper.  But when the image of the Beats is added into the mix, they think they sound better than they actually do.

Wow really?  I am very curious as to what percentage of the millions of Beats owners you consider a few that enjoy the sound of them.  Sounds like a very bold assessment to me.

In all honesty, some of what you say is true about hype, brand, look, feel, and just the popular opinion in general.  This is especially true with teenagers.  Hell, this is true everywhere, including on this board.  I would bet money that there are people on this board who say the Beats suck just because that's the popular opinion on this board.  That's just a way of life.  Again I say that liking/not liking the sound of something is an opinion not a fact.  If someone says the Beats sound good, then it sounds good to them no matter how you may feel they came to that conclusion, as is the case on the flip side.  You can't prove it one way or the other.  Just because pretty much everyone on Head-Fi don't like the sound of the Beats doesn't mean that most everyone else who purchases them must be walking zombies for the Monster/Celebrity advertising.  I'm not a fan of the Senns HD555/598s or the AD700.  Does that mean that a good portion of this board and many audio sites are under the influence because I don't prefer them?  I don't think so.  Are there possibly some that like them because a good portion of Headfi and many audio sites say you should?  Maybe so.  But that's not for me to judge because I can't factually say that for sure.

Myself and many others I associate with like the sound of the Beats Studios.  Do I think they're the best sounding headphones out?  No.  Do I think they're overpriced?  Yes.  But that's my opinion and it doesn't mean that it should be the universal opinion because it's mine.  The Beats Studios are what they are, Headphones marketed for the Hip Hop/R&B/NeYo Soul Ipod crowd with a heavy emphasis on the Mid Bass and Power you get in studio sessions within these genres.  I'm pretty sure there are many who hear them and love them for that sound signature.

Oct 19, 2011 at 5:36 PM Post #129 of 180
Quote:

I would really love to say that your phycology is complete and other bull &*% but I have WAY too many friends who prove otherwise, they are completely blinded by
the fact that "MORE BASS=GOOD" you can stick a pair of freaking Stax on their head and they'd still say Beats are better *sigh*

Jan 1, 2012 at 8:05 PM Post #130 of 180
I wear mine everywhere but only cuz I have a warranty on them and they will replace for any reason for 2 years.. but I do wear my other headphones when I'm out too

Jan 1, 2012 at 9:27 PM Post #131 of 180
I find people saying beats are aimed for ignorant teenagers 100% true,and slightly insulting to me.I see so many teens below and even above my age,even middle-aged people with them..The first time I saw the beats I was like "wow,these headphones have everything! I gotta have em!"
But after seeing the price tag and searching around the net more I learned the truth about which headphone brands are genuinely worth it.

I auditioned a pair of beats studios in an apple store a while back when I had my ath-sj11 with me and while the bass sounded loud,it lacked a satisfying punch to me.Everything sounded muddy and recessed save the bass which had a constant moaning.I was so glad I didn't waste my parents money on them.

Fortunately,I have friends who agree with me in saying the beats are terrible value and only meant for fashion.Will there be those who LOVE the sound of beats? Absolutely.But how many of those are people who jumped straight from apple earbuds to beats,ignoring all other brands and price points? I believe quite a number.Which is why when I started getting into headphones I slowly moved upwards,from $20 panasonics to $40 tdk to $50 Audio technicas and soon the ath-pro700mkII.

Right now I'm not willing to waste my parents' hard-earned money on the beats but maybe I'll give owning a pair a go when I've got my own job.And who knows? Maybe monster would start becoming an actual respectable headphone brand in the future,like skullcandy stepping up their game with the aviators and mixmasters.

Jan 1, 2012 at 11:24 PM Post #133 of 180

Quote:
Two words: monster sucks!!! End of discussion imo

wrong.

beats by dre sucks.

monster makes good iems like the turbine series and the tributes.

Jan 1, 2012 at 11:47 PM Post #134 of 180

Quote:

wrong.

beats by dre sucks.

monster makes good iems like the turbine series and the tributes.

+1 thank you. Monster does have some very pricey to extremely overpriced things. but their workmanship and build quality on their own products is absolutley amazing. 

HAVE anyone of you seen the new Beats fashion? it's where you put the beats on your cranium, parralel to the ground just above your ears!!! it's super hot and stylish!!

Jan 2, 2012 at 12:45 AM Post #135 of 180
http://www.dealextreme.com/p/designer-s-fashion-folding-stereo-headphone-earphone-red-3-5mm-jack-114cm-cable-102872

HA HAAAAAA HA HA HA HA

Users who are viewing this thread

Back