Beats By Dre Pro (Do I buy?)
May 10, 2011 at 5:37 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

Ak-Boss

New Head-Fier
At the moment I own a pair of Beats Solo HD's and did previously (kind of) own a pair of M50's. Now I like them both a lot and find them to be quite similar in terms of sound quality however I think it's time to move up a little. The Beats By Dre Studios are out of the question as they don't have much more to offer (if anything) than the Solo HD's/M50's other than some crappy noise cancelling which is quite controversial. The Studios are basically just hugely overpriced for what you get however it seems that the Pro's do have some respect from you audiophiles. From what I have heard they are a much better headphone than the Studios, so much so that many people think they are worth the price tag unlike a lot of other Monster headphones. The only question is; do I buy them and upgrade from my Solo HD's?

May 10, 2011 at 7:43 PM Post #2 of 10

Quote:
At the moment I own a pair of Beats Solo HD's and did previously (kind of) own a pair of M50's. Now I like them both a lot and find them to be quite similar in terms of sound quality however I think it's time to move up a little. The Beats By Dre Studios are out of the question as they don't have much more to offer (if anything) than the Solo HD's/M50's other than some crappy noise cancelling which is quite controversial. The Studios are basically just hugely overpriced for what you get however it seems that the Pro's do have some respect from you audiophiles. From what I have heard they are a much better headphone than the Studios, so much so that many people think they are worth the price tag unlike a lot of other Monster headphones. The only question is; do I buy them and upgrade from my Solo HD's?

it may be true that they are good headphones and much better then the studios but you can find better under $200.

what do you want out of your headphones? lots of bass, equal bass, good mids (the pros don't have good mids), lots of treble. etc.
after you give me this information i can give you some advice on headphones i own or have owned. personally if you like bass and want a better pair of headphones then the pros get the shure srh750dj. if you want something to accurately portray your music the way the artist intended try the shure srh840. these can both be had for under $200  and are a big upgrade from your solo hd's.

Jun 2, 2011 at 3:05 PM Post #4 of 10
I heard the Solo HD's and they don't hold a candle against the M50 imo. The bass was muddy and the treble wasn't clear either. Those are where the M50 shine.

As for the Pro's I am thinking that they would indeed by a substantial upgrade from the Solos but it can probably be matched by the Pro700mk2 (take note of the mk2 as the first version was meh)

Jun 2, 2011 at 3:21 PM Post #5 of 10
if the solos and the m50's sound similiar to you, you may not be that into sound (just saying).  Before even saying whether one is better than the other, both have completely different sounds. I think you wont see a big difference of pros from studios if you dont see a difference from solos from m50s. If your looking for that big of a difference in your sound try an in ear headphone.  If your fond of monster, try out the turbine line.  

Jun 2, 2011 at 3:37 PM Post #6 of 10
I'm not impressed by any of the Monster Dr.Dre headphones. Of course, they look pretty damn good and if that's what you're looking for, go for it. If you care more about the sound, there are tons of better headphones out there that might also be cheaper.

If you're looking for a headphone that has a great low-end, try Ultrasone. Especially if you're listening to Electro, Hip-Hop or just like a lot of bass, that's what you're looking for. The HFI 780 would be a closed, the HFI 2400 an open-back model.

I don't think you're listening to classical music since I found all the dr.dre headphones to sound pretty bad at playing that. They have a very narrow soundstage. If you do though, try the AKG K701. Another pair of headphones that works well with classical as well with rock/alternative or electro would be the Phiaton MS 400 cans.

If you're mainly listening to Rock/Metal, try Grado. The Sr80i and SR225i were my favorites.

And you should consider whether you want open-back or closed headphones. If you use them on trains, e.g., get closed headphones since they won't let as much sound in and hardly leak any sound. If you plan on mainly listening to your music at home, you might want to get open-back headphones.

Jun 2, 2011 at 3:50 PM Post #7 of 10
I've had the Beats Pro.

I got a good deal on them so I tried them out... 
They were "alright" in terms of sound. But they weigh a ton and "alright" wasn't my objective.

I wouldn't recommend them, and I would dissuade anyone from buying them at retail.

If you are willing to spend that much, there are some really fine headphones available that will blow them out of the water for the same, or less, money.

Jun 3, 2011 at 1:44 AM Post #9 of 10

Quote:

If you are willing to spend that much, there are some really fine headphones available that will blow them out of the water for the same, or less, money.

Yes, take a look at the ultrasone models. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back