Beats by Dre Impressions and discussion Thread
Feb 3, 2013 at 5:48 PM Post #31 of 68
They need to make a Bluetooth cable where you plug on end into the device and the other end into the headphones and click a button on the device and try will turn on and be able to be used, no cable what so ever, and be used for any headphone with a removable plug:)

Feb 3, 2013 at 8:17 PM Post #32 of 68
My brother owns the Monster Ibeats, he paid around €70 for it and honestly I don't get it.
I tried them various times in an unbiased way.
The details in the mids/highs are on par with the Xears XE200Pro with a good resolution and a sense of layering, the problem is that all the spectrum in the bass is so emphasized that you just ear a rumble/noise that covers everything. I don't understand how that can be enjoyable

Mar 6, 2013 at 2:36 AM Post #33 of 68
This is my first post. I have to say you guys have really given me some great advice thanks. I have to give credit to Beats because without them I wouldn't have been introduced into better sounding cans. My first ones were the Tours but then Sennheiser happened. After that Beats have been the joke of the industry to me, and all of the other celebs trying to get in on the headphone game of course. I think Quincy Jones was the smartest to go with AKG. Right now I own HD 380, OCX 880 and CX 300 II. I plan getting the HD 600.

Thank you Beats. Sorry for all the people who still purchase you!
L3000.gif

Mar 29, 2013 at 1:15 AM Post #35 of 68
Lol. I had beats quite a while ago, but then sold them after I got them. Honestly, you can't hear anything except for the boomy and bloated bass. A lot of people think that they are good because they have only heard their apple ones and beats are better than those.

May 2, 2014 at 8:58 PM Post #37 of 68
Been more than a year since anyone posted to this thread.  During that time, Beats has replaced its original Studio over-ear, noise-cancelling headphone with a re-designed one that everyone who has compared them says are superior in audio quality, construction quality, and comfort.

I encountered my first Beats not as headphones, but as the top-end audio system for my prized red 2013 FIAT 500 Abarth Convertible, which I got in March, 2013 (first of its kind in Michigan).  General agreement among FIAT owners was that Beats was better than the prior Bose system that was the upgrade from the stock Alpine that FIAT had been offering (Bose, while precise, was underpowered for the road noise and weak in bass).

Though their lineage in the FIAT is murky (they claim that Dr. Dre himself tuned the system for EACH FIAT model), I and most others love its sound.

That love got me into hip-hop music (I have an interest in doggerel anyway) and Beats headphones.  This interest has been more recent than the notorious take-over of Beats from Monster, the horrible (according to Tyll Hertsons) Beats Solo headphones, and the not-so-great original Beats Studio headphones, so I have not encountered this bad past personally.

My first Beats headphones were the wired Studio 2013 version; for the hip-hop / rap music I have recently "found," they were better than my other headphones, which at the time were the Sennheiser HD 598 and Parrot Zik.  In fact, I enjoyed them so well (for rap, Lady Gaga, and other such bass-intense music) that I took advantage of a buy-two-save-money special to also get the Beats Studio 2013 wireless version and the older Beats Pro (the Pro because it was neither noise cancelling nor wireless, and other reviews had scored its sound better than the new Beats 2013 Studio, with which I agree).

I have been comparing my various headphones in groups of three according to some rather systematic tests, and I have included the Beats among them.

I used four "macro" tests that used all of the music, plus six "event-based" tests that compared the rendering of various small pieces of music, compared by repeating back and forth between two headphones.  I simply ranked the ability of each headphone first (3 points), second (2 points), or third (1 point) for each test.  More detail, including identity of the three songs, in this post: http://www.head-fi.org/t/704826/how-do-you-audition-compare-headphones#post_10254063 .

The macro tests were:

1. Transparency;
  2. Size, both horizontal and vertical, of sound stage;
  3. Resolution of position of two persons singing near each other;
  4. Volume of headphone with iPod turned up all the way.

The event-based tests were:

1. "Twang" of drumhead at entrance to Song 1;
  2. Preservation of features allowing me to determine pitch of bass notes in Song1 Verse 3)
  3. Finger pluck at start of bass notes at start of Song 2;
  4. Clarity of shaker, preserving differences of each shake, in Song 2 Verse 3;
  5. "Ripping" sound characteristic of horns and medium low reed organ pipes at start of Song 3;
  6. Ability to hear additional echoing chord stacked upon a huge bombast of sustained full orchestra and organ four beats later, in about third "verse" of Song 3.

Here is the result of my first comparison.  A 3 indicates that headphone was the best of the three in that test and contributes 3 points to an eventual headphone score totaled at the end... a 1 means it was the worst.

TestSennheiser HD 598Beats Studio 2013Beats Pro
Transparency312
Width of sound st312
Positional resolution231
Volume132
Drum "twang"321
Bass pitch perception312
Bass finger pluck321
Shaker variation312
"Ripping" of organ/brass312
Discern added chord312
TOTAL271617

I also compared the Beats Studio Wireless 2013 version to other wireless, active-noise-cancelling headphones that I had, using the same tests:

TestParrot ZikBeats WirelessSennheiser PXC 310 BT
Transparency123 (best)
Width of sound st231
Positional resolution231
Volume231
Drum "twang"132
Bass pitch perception123
Bass finger pluck213
Shaker variation231
"Ripping" of organ/brass321
Discern added chord321
TOTAL192417

Though it had the highest score for the audio tests, the Beats Wireless did have some sort of funny resonance in the mid-to-upper bass that really made certain notes of the plucked string bass boom in the second test song (I had noticed this same effect in both the Beats Studio 2013 wired and the NAD hp50 closed over-ear headphones in earlier tests as well).  It has displaced my Parrot Ziks as best sounding wireless noise canceling headphones in my collection; however the Zik also has a number of fun features via its software app (room reverberation; width of sound source; equalization).  The Sennheiser excelled in "accuracy" features relying on precise high frequency, such as transparency and the attack of the finger on the bass string.

None of these tests (conceived before I thought of why I liked Beats) contained the test that makes all of the Beats so special for me... the ability for hip-hop music bass to pick me up by the throat and shake me (rather than politely announce its presence as in other headphones).  The two Beats Studios suffer a bit in the treble-related things that these tests are based on (e.g., transparency, speed, clarity of pitch, etc.), but the Beats Pro is acceptable in these areas WHILE providing that throat-grabbing bass.

Of course, my love for Beats didn't end there.  I have also subscribed to the Beats Music monthly service, which gives you monthly access to nearly any music at better quality than most streaming music services (320 kb/sec VBR, which is actually a bit better even than the 256 kB/sec VBR of the iPod iTunes standard AAC encoding, which in comparative listening I cannot distinguish from full CD-quality recordings).

So I had to show my Beats Family Portrait... three Beats headphones next to the Beats subwoofer in my FIAT automobile and the iPad showing the Beats Music user screen!

Beats Family Portrait:  Beats Audio automobile woofer, black Beats Studio 2013 headphones, red Beats Studio 2013 Wireless headphones, white Beats Pro headphones, and Beats Music streaming service running on iPad.

I would have the same feeling listening to hip-hop or other bass-dependent music on my Sennheiser or Grados as I would have listening to acoustic music (solo singer through orchestra) on Beats...  like wearing my business suit to dig holes in my garden vs. wearing shorts and no shirt to church!

Oh, and for those folks who remain committed to stamping out Beats and restoring peace and order to the world, I have revealed an excellent plan for doing so in my post "Spank Those Celebrities Cans," here:  http://www.head-fi.org/t/709045/spank-those-celebrities-cans#post_10344094

May 2, 2014 at 11:57 PM Post #38 of 68
Here is a good example of beats transforming someone into this hobby looking for better sound.
I started with the beats solo about 2 years ago.. Then I bought studio wireless version, and about two months ago I started looking for something better, it brought me up to head-fi, and then my audio world Changed ( for good) as well as my walled ( for not so good). After this two months doing a little search, I own the hifiman HE-400, sennheiser momentum, and just bought shure's SE315 , I also own FiiO E12 and I'm looking to buy a jDS labs C5D or something in that range and a DAP like dx90 :)

I also started buying albums in HD Tracks and ripped my CDs to my Mac in FLAC. ( and switched to the high quality option in spotify hahaha :D )

I know nothing near most of you guys, and since I don't live near an "audiophile" store (can't test gear) I have to thrust you guys. Now I do research like if it was for my university thesis (essay) I don't know how you call it. :etysmile:

Btw. I just sold my beats studio in amazon 2 days ago in order to get some funds for more haha ($300 believe it or not)

May 9, 2014 at 12:45 PM Post #39 of 68
May 9, 2014 at 1:14 PM Post #40 of 68
what Beats shows you is that you can sell absolute crap to people if you market it properly.Every time I see somebody wearing those things I feel like asking them why in the world they would possibly pay 300 dollars for them and cant they hear how awful they are.I put them on one time briefly and had to take them off because they made me cringe.Shame on apple for promoting such crap!

May 10, 2014 at 12:36 AM Post #41 of 68
Just bought my Beats Item #6... Lady Gaga Heartbeats IEMs.

Now I can be certain that I am hearing my "Rama-ramama-ah / GaGa-ooh-la-la!" the way that Lady Gaga intended it!

IEM construction is reminiscent of studded leather (as much as a tiny IEM can be!).  Sound is comparable to my best prior IEMs, the Sennheiser CX300 II, but with a bit stronger bass, a little less treble (less than 3dB difference in either case), so deep bass is plenty strong and visceral, but the clarity of upper frequencies is just slightly better in the CX 300 II.  So far I'm pleased with them.  Not had them long enough to tell if they make me smarter or more attractive.

Oh, and they were (and still are) $48.48 on amazon.com, rather than the $129.95 they started at.

May 10, 2014 at 9:04 AM Post #42 of 68
  what Beats shows you is that you can sell absolute crap to people if you market it properly.Every time I see somebody wearing those things I feel like asking them why in the world they would possibly pay 300 dollars for them and cant they hear how awful they are.I put them on one time briefly and had to take them off because they made me cringe.Shame on apple for promoting such crap!

you speak wisely.unfortunately most of the planet doesn't come equipped with wisdom/logic.

May 29, 2014 at 12:05 AM Post #43 of 68
you speak wisely.unfortunately most of the planet doesn't come equipped with wisdom/logic.

No.

"Unfortunately most of the planet doesn't come equipped with wisdom/logic" - shocking audio snobbery of the worst kind - I'd personally be ashamed of myself to post such insulting comments, but then again, unlike your royal highness like you, I must'nt come equipped with wisdom/logic that such a supreme master of the universe as yourself is endowed with :rolleyes: :p

May 31, 2014 at 7:40 AM Post #44 of 68

"Doc, it hurts..."
Made you cringe?  Wow!  Never had that happen but everyone's different, I guess.
Given that, I'm sure you'd agree that it IS possible that they have different buying criteria than you and that's why they buy them.   :wink:

BTW, seems reasonable to wait and see where this merger takes these brands, products, etc.  As you can tell from my signature, I'm not an Apple or Beats fanboy but I'm pretty sure they'll make a significant impact on the market going forward.

Have you listened to the new Studios?  More than briefly?

May 31, 2014 at 2:11 PM Post #45 of 68
No.

"Unfortunately most of the planet doesn't come equipped with wisdom/logic" - shocking audio snobbery of the worst kind - I'd personally be ashamed of myself to post such insulting comments, but then again, unlike your royal highness like you, I must'nt come equipped with wisdom/logic that such a supreme master of the universe as yourself is endowed with
rolleyes.gif
tongue.gif

i am not talking audio-wise , this is the least of the problematic side of my point

i am simply stating a true fact - that most people in the planet are dumb/blind/ sheep which never see outside their 'illusion' and occupy their minds with hollow/stupid thoughts

your humor isn't bad , but still you didn't contribute anything worthwhile to my initial thoughts but it's ok

have a nice day , and take care

cheers
biggrin.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back