Beats By Dr. Dre
Apr 18, 2010 at 1:43 AM Post #16 of 35
yeah, boomana. i sort of agree with that.
but, there's just no denying they are overpriced.
and, the plastic headband trim is ridiculously thin and fragile.

but, sound wize, they weren't bad, actually.
but, for $300? there are at least 3 or 4 dozen other phones i can think of that provide better sound.

if they were cheaper, and i listened to hip hop mostly, then i'd probably consider them.

Dec 8, 2010 at 9:23 PM Post #20 of 35
I'm just going to throw my opinion into the mix and say that I don't just think the Beats Studio is a pair of overpriced headphones--I think it sounds bad, too. From what I recall, the demo unit I tried produced sound that was unclear; can't remember at this point whether it was tinny or muffled, but I honestly hated the first impression.
In case anyone suggests that the drivers were blown, no, this was at a store that takes good care of its headphones and only lets you demo upon request.

Dec 8, 2010 at 10:41 PM Post #21 of 35

Quote:
They're actually better than the bose or skullycandy I've heard. Considering how many members post requesting recommendations for headphones with the exact sound signature that the Beats have, I think it's a bit hypocritical for this site as a whole to dismiss them just because they're commercial. I think the Shure 840s are probably in the same league, but with a sound signature I prefer. I'd be willing to bet that 1/4 of the folks posting here lately would love the Beats, but are too "cool" to admit it, even though they're exactly the sound they want.

I don't dismiss them because they are commercial. I dismiss them because they are over priced crap. My DT770/80's have just as good bass, better highs, and even with their recessed mids, it's still better than the Beats. On top of sounding much better they are half the price and more comfortable too. I tried them yesterday. They sounded like I was listening to music with cotton balls shoved in my ears with some boomy bass thrown in.

Dec 8, 2010 at 10:52 PM Post #22 of 35

I'm just going to throw my opinion into the mix and say that I don't just think the Beats Studio is a pair of overpriced headphones--I think it sounds bad, too. From what I recall, the demo unit I tried produced sound that was unclear; can't remember at this point whether it was tinny or muffled, but I honestly hated the first impression.

In case anyone suggests that the drivers were blown, no, this was at a store that takes good care of its headphones and only lets you demo upon request.

do you know what the source of the files was? They might have been using a regular DAP or something with mid rate mp3 files; not trying to give the cans any credit, just wondering.

Dec 8, 2010 at 11:09 PM Post #23 of 35

Quote:
do you know what the source of the files was? They might have been using a regular DAP or something with mid rate mp3 files; not trying to give the cans any credit, just wondering.

The source was my iPod Classic (120GB version, I think it's the 2nd-latest revision), playing Lossless files. It was a head-to-head comparison between the Beats Studio, ATH-M50, and AKG K271; the Beats were simply not worthy of consideration, I preferred the K271, and my friend--a decent electric guitarist--preferred the M50 despite their strong bass.
Granted, some may object to using an iPod Classic and claim its inferiority as a source (a matter on which I remain unconvinced), but certainly nobody can dispute that the Beats are sold to consumers that we can reasonably expect to use an iPod, or any other DAP, and run the Beats completely unamped. To my ears, they have failed this test.

Dec 8, 2010 at 11:17 PM Post #24 of 35
I remember my first experience with Beat by Dr. Dre...

I was browsing around in futureshop and saw these cans and thought wow for this price these must sound amazing! I put on the display pairs and concluded they were garbage (for that price), my $80 klipsch's were better than them...

Dec 8, 2010 at 11:30 PM Post #25 of 35
I tried them on briefly in an Apple store and didn't mind them. The bass was there in spades, and I could see how they'd be a "fun" pair. The mid-bass was a bit annoying though and soundstage below audiophile grade.

Compare that to my first impressions of the Monster miles davis IEM (which I was expecting miracles from) - so dark I couldn't hear my music.

But I guess a lot of a first impression in a busy place is based on sound signature, not necessarily details (because you can't hear them).

I can see the use in ultra-light noise canceling Bose for airplanes, and I've always wondered what it would be like to put on custom IEMs underneath (close to isolation heaven :p).

Dec 9, 2010 at 12:30 AM Post #26 of 35
woot! ANOTHER beats thread comes BACK TO LIFE~~~

Quote:
I tried them on briefly in an Apple store and didn't mind them. The bass was there in spades, and I could see how they'd be a "fun" pair. The mid-bass was a bit annoying though and soundstage below audiophile grade.

Compare that to my first impressions of the Monster miles davis IEM (which I was expecting miracles from) - so dark I couldn't hear my music.

But I guess a lot of a first impression in a busy place is based on sound signature, not necessarily details (because you can't hear them).

I can see the use in ultra-light noise canceling Bose for airplanes, and I've always wondered what it would be like to put on custom IEMs underneath (close to isolation heaven :p).

Wouldn't you just negate the effects of the Bose? if you do that, you'll start hearing your breathing, your chewing, your bodily fluids. I find myself quite irritating with IEMs XD

Dec 9, 2010 at 4:33 PM Post #30 of 35
Every Sennheiser I've tried (incl. my current love, the HD238) sounds about 50x better than the Beats phones. I demoed all of the Beats headphones at one of those big best buy displays, and they all sounded pretty terrible. The bass is far over-emphasized and the treble is harsh and unclear, and the mids are recessed. IMHO, even though most people don't like Bose, I can say for a fact that they fare far better than the Beats phones. Still yet, the Sennheiser blows both of them out of the water (as should be expected).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back