Beats By Dr. Dre
Dec 10, 2010 at 2:10 AM Post #31 of 35

Quote:
woot! ANOTHER beats thread comes BACK TO LIFE~~~

Quote:
I tried them on briefly in an Apple store and didn't mind them. The bass was there in spades, and I could see how they'd be a "fun" pair. The mid-bass was a bit annoying though and soundstage below audiophile grade.

Compare that to my first impressions of the Monster miles davis IEM (which I was expecting miracles from) - so dark I couldn't hear my music.

But I guess a lot of a first impression in a busy place is based on sound signature, not necessarily details (because you can't hear them).

I can see the use in ultra-light noise canceling Bose for airplanes, and I've always wondered what it would be like to put on custom IEMs underneath (close to isolation heaven :p).

Wouldn't you just negate the effects of the Bose? if you do that, you'll start hearing your breathing, your chewing, your bodily fluids. I find myself quite irritating with IEMs XD

Negate? No, they pull sound from outside. It's like wearing industrial earmuffs without the weight. I've grown accustomed to the IEM isolation feeling and rather like it. Customs + active noise canceling would cancel about 40dB, as much as a pair of etymotics with the best fit, but with the added benefit of being able to wear them for a while without getting itchy ears (grr).

Dec 12, 2010 at 12:48 AM Post #33 of 35

Quote:
i meant if you put on iems, you will then start hearing more sound b/c you hear yourself with iems instead of the rest of the world

Ahh, my mistake. If you're not moving around (i.e. on a plane) and you don't have a cold, the sound coming from yourself is negligible.

Dec 12, 2010 at 11:19 AM Post #34 of 35
The Beats line of Monster headphones are intended for a target audience who will buy an image and a sound signature. These do not compete at all in the upscale market, like Sony's XB series headphones(inflated bloated bass takes the front row).These are bassy and innacrate well packaged products with a catchy design.

The original Solo is so bass bloated it sounds not better than the lousy Sony XB300 ! To find these headphones pleasing to the ears is...ignorance is bliss. Just listen to a low cost Sennheiser HD448 after proper burn in...ear opener. If you are looking at the Beats Pro ....Pioneer's HDJ2000 will run circles around them in built quality,durability and above all sound quality.

Skullcandy on ear , all the units i have heard are pure GARBAGE , comfort can hardly be lower (ViseGrip like) and sound quality...bloat,severe migrance ringing/colorations and upper range as detailed as a blank sheet.A joke for short, kiddies are the intended audience here.

Bose headphones are Monster's direct competitors. SQ is more balanced compared to the abyss of headphones and the design is classy. However the Bose lineup are very average sounding headphones if they would sell for a third of the price they sell ! Only the Quiet Comfort may be viable if you value noise cancelling over SQ.

In short none of the above give you your money's worth.

Dec 14, 2010 at 8:26 PM Post #35 of 35
^ Thats pretty much how it has always been man; shortly after coming here you realize at there are better headphones out there for whatever price you are willing to pay over pretty much anything you can find in the average or slightly above average store.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back