Beats By Dr. Dre
Apr 15, 2010 at 3:41 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 35

bluntman

100+ Head-Fier
What do you guys think Beats By Dre competes with in the audiophile industry?
triportsad.gif

Apr 15, 2010 at 3:54 PM Post #2 of 35
Bose.

Seriously, I see these things sooo often around my campus, just like Triports. It makes me sad that all of those people could have bought great headphones with the ~$200 they spent on their over-marketed crap.

Apr 15, 2010 at 3:58 PM Post #3 of 35
they do not compete well. my friend has a pair (he told me step up my game when i told him that i got a pair of the turbine pro copper), and i listened to them for about 10 minutes and could not go any longer.
i can only say a few words to describe them.
boomy bass with little details. i think they'd be good for crappy house music encoded in 64kbps mp3.

Apr 15, 2010 at 4:00 PM Post #4 of 35
Quote:

Originally Posted by The_X /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Bose.

Seriously, I see these things sooo often around my campus, just like Triports. It makes me sad that all of those people could have bought great headphones with the ~$200 they spent on their over-marketed crap.

Yepp. I totally agree with that.

So we can be glad that it's impossible to see for example a headphone called "Headphone XYZ by Ludwig van Beethoven" on the market. I mean... you know... hehe... *lol*

I only ask myself: Dr Dre?... who is Dr Dre?!

If the cans would sound any good, I wouldn't give a damn about their name. But I've tried the Beats one time and I'm very glad that no one has sticked them with glue onto my head.

Apr 15, 2010 at 4:09 PM Post #6 of 35
What Hi-Fi Australia recently did a noise cancelling headphones roundup. The Beats came bottom. They were rated below the Goldring NS1000s, which are listed at the same price as the beats in Oz.

In the UK the Goldrings are can be had for £50, roughly a quarter of the price of the Beats. I think the Goldrings are excellent for £50 or even up to £100. At over £200 I'd find their flaws rather disappointing.

Apr 15, 2010 at 4:24 PM Post #7 of 35
I owned the beats for 2 weeks and then had to get rid of them because they were wildly uncomfortable (not like stabbing rocks in your ears, more like pushing in a wad of taffy with broken glass) and they didn't sound too hot either. They were too boomy and washed out a lot of detail even with the rap I listened to (Mos Def, Cut Chemist, Gorillaz etc.). I didn't think they were worth the money. It would be interesting to see how the beats and the turbine coppers sound head to head. I've got my eyes set on a pair of UE TF-10s.

Apr 16, 2010 at 9:05 PM Post #8 of 35
BOSE and Skullcandy I would say...

Apr 16, 2010 at 11:36 PM Post #9 of 35
Quote:

Originally Posted by Der Germane /img/forum/go_quote.gif
So we can be glad that it's impossible to see for example a headphone called "Headphone XYZ by Ludwig van Beethoven" on the market. I mean... you know... hehe... *lol*

I don't know about you, but I would totally buy a headphone by Beethoven just for the hell of it. (Unless it cost an arm and a leg)

Apr 17, 2010 at 11:52 PM Post #10 of 35
Meh, I demoed them in Best Buy and didn't think they were that good. My Equation-RP21s beat them. However I did remove the foam covering the drivers and I have no idea what they were using as a source/files.

People generally say that they have bloated bass and a harsh treble, your money could be better spent.

Apr 18, 2010 at 12:16 AM Post #11 of 35
The competition between bose and monster is like a pro guitar player who is really famous and rich ( Bose and monster )

Everyone who is normal thinks wow they are great, but a swift search on Youtube yields 1000s of videos of little kids who smoke and smash that famous person on guitar ( sennheiser, AKG ect ect ) The idea here being there is always a much better deal and more refined and educated guitar player down the street that you've never heard of...but the small group of people ( audiophiles ) know the truth that the famous player is actually garbage compared to the little kid next door who blows him away 10 to 1

Apr 18, 2010 at 1:26 AM Post #13 of 35
Quote:

Originally Posted by Young Spade /img/forum/go_quote.gif
^ If I could stick that in my signature I would. Well I could... but it's kind of long lol. But yea that couldn't be more true.

Paraphrase. "There's always something better." It captures the point of his post well enough, and has a second meaning that is all too valuable to audiophiles. "Your system will never be perfect, and you will (likely) never be completely satisfied." Depressing, but true
biggrin.gif

I'd put that in my signature, but it would feel too much like quoting myself, even though many before me have said it (swbf2cheater included).

Apr 18, 2010 at 1:28 AM Post #14 of 35
Quote:

Originally Posted by bluntman /img/forum/go_quote.gif
What do you guys think Beats By Dre competes with in the audiophile industry?
triportsad.gif

beats by dre.
icon10.gif

Apr 18, 2010 at 1:35 AM Post #15 of 35
They're actually better than the bose or skullycandy I've heard. Considering how many members post requesting recommendations for headphones with the exact sound signature that the Beats have, I think it's a bit hypocritical for this site as a whole to dismiss them just because they're commercial. I think the Shure 840s are probably in the same league, but with a sound signature I prefer. I'd be willing to bet that 1/4 of the folks posting here lately would love the Beats, but are too "cool" to admit it, even though they're exactly the sound they want.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back