Battle of the Top 3 (Westone 4R vs Shure SE535 vs HifiMan RE-600) Bets? Anyone?
Dec 27, 2013 at 5:02 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 31

Pianist718

100+ Head-Fier
Hi guys,

sorry for the corny subject of the thread ... 
I've done some reading here and it seems like if I want to spend under $500 for a in ear phones, those 3 models are some of the best money can buy.

Westone 4R vs Shure SE535 vs HifiMan RE-600

I currently use Bose MIE2i and to be honest, when I upgraded from regular Apple phones, I didn't hear a crazy improvement.

My question .... will those 3 models I want to try so much better than the apple stock or Bose MIE2 and ... which of the 3 do you think will win with me>?

Also, any other suggestions>?

Thanks

P.S. For regular size headphones, at the mid-fi level, without an amp ... I really like my Sennheiser HD598.

Dec 27, 2013 at 10:14 PM Post #2 of 31
Imo yes as far as the se535 and w4r they will be drastically better than the apple or bose. Imo ten fold.

But keep in mind the se425 and w4r are 2 different iems and they imo has very different sound signatures so I would read reviews on both to come to a conclusion.

Dec 30, 2013 at 11:59 PM Post #3 of 31
So tomorrow I am buying these 3 models of IEMs ....  

Westone 4R
Shure SE535
HifiMan RE-600

Is there a better 3 IEMs to buy to compare?

I want good sound. If spending double results in sound becoming at least 50% better then I'll go for it. After listening to my HD598, I now can't stand my Bose In Ear mie2i.

Any feedback ... much appreciated.

Dec 31, 2013 at 2:02 PM Post #4 of 31
Never heard Westone or Hifiman, but keep in mind that with the Shure you will have some versatility with the ability of changing dampers that will change the sound as well...

Jan 1, 2014 at 8:24 PM Post #6 of 31

I want good sound. If spending double results in sound becoming at least 50% better then I'll go for it.

Any feedback ... much appreciated.

It doesn't work that way.  There is a law of diminishing returns and the "improvement" in sound will vary from listener to listener depending what your preferences are or what you are looking for in a sound.

I, too, prefer the W4 over the SE535 by a decent margin.  The SE535 has a bit more bass but the W4 bass is better quality and IMHO it beats it in every other area (mid, treble, soundstage and overall clarity) as well.  But they are both great IEM's.

Jan 1, 2014 at 9:38 PM Post #7 of 31
  I own both se535 and w4 and IMHO w4 destroys the se535. There are some that disagree but, that is my opinion. The sm3 is better than both in my opinion.

hard to find this in USA with a good return policy to try it for free

Jan 5, 2014 at 9:59 PM Post #8 of 31
Be prepared for a lot less bass than your Bose with those IEMs. For those prices you might be better off looking at the ASG-2 or Stagediver SD3, they are harder to find but will have more bass if that's what you like.

Quote:

hard to find this in USA with a good return policy to try it for free

Jan 6, 2014 at 1:04 PM Post #11 of 31
what is your rig you are listening to these headphones out of.

my biggest pet peeve is when people judge something straight out of a source. off top the w4r  isnt a non sensitive iem, but it responds greatly to a amplifier/dac the se535 are a very sensitive iem and can be played straight out of pretty much any device. i own both the se535 and the westone w4r and the reason i own both, is because both have something the other doesnt have to offer....esp if you use a full rig ie: iem,cable,dac,amp,interconnects ect maybe in the future if you already dont have a rig.

the w4r are exceptional esp for the price.....however the se535 have phenomenal mids and imo Highs, my 535's highs are compincated by dac and amp, i get no roll off i just have the bronze. becuase the mids are so good vocals are exceptional feel close to you in imaging and the overall clarity is better with the 535 becuase of the mids.

where as you might find the w4r to have more of a balanced sound signature where no one frequency jumps out farther than another. again this is going to depend on what sources you are using for testing.

Jan 6, 2014 at 1:12 PM Post #12 of 31

where as you might find the w4r to have more of a balanced sound signature where no one frequency jumps out farther than another. again this is going to depend on what sources you are using for testing.

Good and valid points. I prefer the Dunu's from both my Iphone 5, and Grace m903 (great desktop dac/amp). That's not to say the the W4R wouldn't shine with other sources. I owned and enjoyed the W4R for almost 2 years but am pretty shocked at the DUNU's performance, especially for the price.

Jan 6, 2014 at 5:50 PM Post #13 of 31

my biggest pet peeve is when people judge something straight out of a source. off top the w4r  isnt a non sensitive iem, but it responds greatly to a amplifier/dac the se535 are a very sensitive iem and can be played straight out of pretty much any device. i own both the se535 and the westone w4r and the reason i own both, is because both have something the other doesnt have to offer....esp if you use a full rig ie: iem,cable,dac,amp,interconnects ect maybe in the future if you already dont have a rig.

the w4r are exceptional esp for the price.....however the se535 have phenomenal mids and imo Highs, my 535's highs are compincated by dac and amp, i get no roll off i just have the bronze. becuase the mids are so good vocals are exceptional feel close to you in imaging and the overall clarity is better with the 535 becuase of the mids.

I'll be just using my iPhone 5. No amps. This is for portable use.

Jan 6, 2014 at 6:04 PM Post #14 of 31

I'll be just using my iPhone 5. No amps. This is for portable use.

yeah its all portable.

i say the se535 comes out on top, its a sensitive iem and works well out of any device imo. doesnt really require a amp.

w4r also can be used out of a device but for whatever reason it sounds much better amped.

Jan 7, 2014 at 1:45 PM Post #15 of 31
Maybe this is preliminary, maybe I am rushing, ... these headphones are not worth it for me.

Comparing them to $120 Bose IEMs ..... Shure 535, Westone W4 and HiFi RE600 are not 4 times better than Bose IEM .... nor are they 3 or 2 times better. 

Westone sounds too weak. Reminds me of Grados SR225 .... lots of treble, little bass, I tried to get used to the sound but ... those are not made for smooth jazz or classic .... seems like they are more for rock, heavy music ...

Shure 535 ... nice, nice fit, nice sound, not $400 nice, at least for me.

HiFiMan RE600 ... some things better than the other two and some other music Shure is better.

Bottom line .... not worth for me to spend 3-4 times as much as my current Bose IEMs cost.

I also compared these to my Open HD598 over ear headphones .... with no surprise those beat all of the IEMs for me.  Much, much bigger sound-stage, just enough bass .... no $400 IEMs for me. :)

P.S.
One guy on this forum once said that once you upgrade from those cheap $20 headbuds to something like even Iphones $30 IEMs, that's where you'll see the biggest sound difference. Difference between a $100 and $400 IEMs .... not that big compared to the price.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back