Bassy headphones from $200 - $400
May 5, 2011 at 8:34 PM Post #20 of 39

Quote:
Quote:
There's no such comparison. The XB1000's win. 

I thought the Beats Pro was better in term of sound quality because it is much more expensive than the xb 1000.
Is it good to purchase a pair of xb 1000 from ebay?

NO NO NO NO NO NO...NO.

You've almost fallen into the MONSTER headphones marketing trap, my friend. Head-fi is here to offer you redemption.

Truck-loads of headphones in the $100~200 range vastly exceed Beats Pro's sound quality. There are even a few sub-$100 headphones that do too (e.g. Koss DJ100).

May 6, 2011 at 12:55 AM Post #21 of 39
O man, not one recommendation for the Ultrasone Pro 900's yet, I guess DJ's comparison settled it. :)

May 6, 2011 at 2:11 AM Post #24 of 39
very few people have tried out both the XB1000 and the Ultrasone Pro 900. If you're mainly going for comfort and sound quality doesn't really bother you, then for sure go with the XB1000. The Ultrasone 900 have a tendency to split people between those who like the comfort and those that don't. I had DJ headphones for two years so i'm used to thing clamping my ears for long periods of time, it doesn't bother me. You seem fairly new here so I'll say this, if you're having comfort as your top priority and you like the sound quality from the beats, you're definitely missing out on all the opportunities out there. There's a reason why the beats clamp down on you, it's for sound isolation since they are active noise canceling headphone's to some respect. I've had the Ultrasone 900 for over a week at this point and i can personally vouch for them if you're patient and are ok with taking a little gamble on it being comfortable. I don't have your head and i don't know your music preferences so i can't tell you for sure that the ultrasone 900 will fulfill your entire list of requirements in headphones. It really does seem that this might be your first job into the head-fi world so i suggest you let your toes touch the water a little and go with something cheaper. Perhaps the M50 or the cheaper Sennheiser models. From my experience, the lower you start on the head-fi track, the more you begin to appreciate the music and equipment you have. There's a big difference between someone who gradually steps up to one that just skips to the next step. If this is your first head-fi headphone start on the bottom and work your way up. I really don't recommend just beginning with the best headphones you can get, there's no fun in that, and there's no appreciation in that. 

I haven't tried the XB1000, but from other head-fiers who have tried out both, they recommend XB1000 for comfort. Remember, whatever headphones you get, let them burn in for at least 200 hours before you return them and judge them. I really don't think you needed to start a new thread for this, there was already one for this. Please do a google search before you start a new thread, it saves people time from having to repeat what they've said in other threads. 

http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/552034/final-thoughts-sony-mdr-xb1000-vs-ultrasone-pro-900-who-is-the-bass-king-pictures

May 6, 2011 at 2:59 AM Post #25 of 39
very few people have tried out both the XB1000 and the Ultrasone Pro 900. If you're mainly going for comfort and sound quality doesn't really bother you, then for sure go with the XB1000. The Ultrasone 900 have a tendency to split people between those who like the comfort and those that don't. I had DJ headphones for two years so i'm used to thing clamping my ears for long periods of time, it doesn't bother me. You seem fairly new here so I'll say this, if you're having comfort as your top priority and you like the sound quality from the beats, you're definitely missing out on all the opportunities out there. There's a reason why the beats clamp down on you, it's for sound isolation since they are active noise canceling headphone's to some respect. I've had the Ultrasone 900 for over a week at this point and i can personally vouch for them if you're patient and are ok with taking a little gamble on it being comfortable. I don't have your head and i don't know your music preferences so i can't tell you for sure that the ultrasone 900 will fulfill your entire list of requirements in headphones. It really does seem that this might be your first job into the head-fi world so i suggest you let your toes touch the water a little and go with something cheaper. Perhaps the M50 or the cheaper Sennheiser models. From my experience, the lower you start on the head-fi track, the more you begin to appreciate the music and equipment you have. There's a big difference between someone who gradually steps up to one that just skips to the next step. If this is your first head-fi headphone start on the bottom and work your way up. I really don't recommend just beginning with the best headphones you can get, there's no fun in that, and there's no appreciation in that. 

I haven't tried the XB1000, but from other head-fiers who have tried out both, they recommend XB1000 for comfort. Remember, whatever headphones you get, let them burn in for at least 200 hours before you return them and judge them. I really don't think you needed to start a new thread for this, there was already one for this. Please do a google search before you start a new thread, it saves people time from having to repeat what they've said in other threads. 

http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/552034/final-thoughts-sony-mdr-xb1000-vs-ultrasone-pro-900-who-is-the-bass-king-pictures

Thanks alot for advice man, this is the first time i look for a pair of good quality heaphone so i have no knowledge about headphones. I shouldnt have wasted time on the Beats Pro since they gave me a lot of pain on my ears, i have just returned them

May 6, 2011 at 3:10 AM Post #26 of 39

Quote:
Quote:

Thanks alot for advice man, this is the first time i look for a pair of good quality heaphone so i have no knowledge about headphones. I shouldnt have wasted time on the Beats Pro since they gave me a lot of pain on my ears, i have just returned them

Most people here have recommended the Audio Technica M50 or the Sennheiser 558 as a good starter headphone to get your started as a head-fier. From there you can go get an amp, maybe a DAC. Then some AKG k702, then move onto the ultraones if you want. Most people try going for different headphones, closed vs opened, and different companies because between each company, the sound changes. I'm still trying to find out which company i like the most, i currently like Ultrasone, but im too early in my path of being an audiophile to make that decision just yet. I suggest going low and then going up. Starting with the Ultrasone 900 or the XB1000 won't give you much of a thrill of being an audiophile because you won't have the feeling that you're on a journey for finding the sound the matches you most. But you will love the sound of either of these headphones, in the end it's your pick

May 6, 2011 at 7:43 AM Post #27 of 39
Honestly, I think you'd be safe just going straight to the XB1000.  I'm all but certain it will reach all of your criteria with ease, and you probably won't want another pair of headphones for awhile, judging by your needs.  No need to get into hardcore audiophilia by working your way up, really, that's just how you start the addiction. :p

May 6, 2011 at 10:09 AM Post #29 of 39
I'm sure you won't be disappointed.  The XB-1000 probably won't be QUITE as bass-heavy as the XB40, but it should still satisfy your needs...too much bass can, after all, get fatiguing after awhile.

I need to get a pair of these for myself some day. :p

Be sure to post your impressions here when you get them!

May 6, 2011 at 10:18 AM Post #30 of 39
I would just EQ it if it's not giving the bass you want, it certainly should have the capability to produce it if desired. It sounds like you're looking for XB500 kind of quantity in bass which is insane but EQing XB1000 should get you there too.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back